Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a TV series made

Options
  • 20-02-2010 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

I have a 25 min comedy about a couple of bumbling Garda and their escapades. It's no Father Ted (I'm realistic) but I think it's a good premise and with the right actors would be really entertaining.

I sent off a query letter to Grand Pictures (of Val Falvey T.D. fame) thinking this was their kind of stuff, as expected, no response.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Might I get a reply 6 months down the line? By which time I'm cobbling shoes in the south of France.

I've found a list of production companies (http://www.screenproducersireland.com/production.php) and was about to carpet bomb the lot of them with e-mails but thought I'd check in here first.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mrpeech

I think you've got the right approach. A good source is the writers handbook, there's a new version comes out every year. your local library should have a copy, in it you've got lists of production companies and TV networks. Also make sure you have everything formatted correctly, if not they won't even look at it. Celtx is a great, free application that does a lot of your formatting for you (sorry if you know this already but you'll be counting your blessings if you don't) ehhm comedy writers are in high demand, as you can see there aren't that many good writers of comedy here in Ireland the only exceptions being the lads at "your bad self" even those are a bit hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'd really forget this country if I were you, unless you've got some serious meeja connections.

Your best bet might be Hat Trick in the UK.

As the previous poster said, make sure you cross all your t's and dot your i's in terms of series summary and script formatting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PaulEatBrains

mrpeech: Yep, I've been checking all the websites like John August's for formatting and read a fair few scripts online so I think I'm okay for that. Seems like it might be the hard thing to actually get it read by someone!

DublinWriter: That sucks; it has the flavour of Ireland (I even have jokes about breakfast rolls!) and I'd like to keep it set here, maybe I'll write up an English version for the UK? Good tip about series summary though! I have scribbled notes but nothing official looking. Do you have any links to samples?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Advertisement