Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal vs. Sunderland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

does Wenger care that arsenal seem so so fragile at the back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Theo needs as much game time as possible to get his confidence back.

I suppose, he'll till be quick at this stage of the game when Sunderland are tiring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Arsenal are threading on thin ice. I reckon there will be a goal before the final whistle. Don't know who will get it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Linesman should be sent off for exaggerating injury!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Mr Alan wrote: »
    does Wenger care that arsenal seem so so fragile at the back?
    Nope he's just putting on a right back for a right mid for the craic like.
    :rolleyes:

i meant in general. and i also asked that before that substitution occured.

Eboue's had a good game but, how has he not been booked for his diving yet???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Macari gives Fabregas MoM award, what ga,e has he been watching,

Very difficult to pick one though, it has been that kind of game, think Eboue deserved it more myself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Macari knows so little about football, thought this was one of Fab's worse games, Eboue really should get man of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

How the **** was that a foul :mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Crazy decision? what the **** is macari on about?

stupid commentary again, clear clear foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Fabergas mom? I would of thought edboue he's been hobling with an injury since the Cana tackle

:pac::pac:
    mayordenis wrote: »
    Crazy decision? what the **** is macari on about?

stupid commentary again, clear clear foul.

I'm just going to go ahead and say this, you can't lie down on the pitch and trip someone up.

:mad::mad::mad:

oh noes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

F*cking rediculous, here comes the equaliser! :mad:

Definite free kick for that foul on Bendtner!!!
    i meant in general. and i also asked that before that substitution occured.

I'm sure he does, we don't really have adequate cover but, our first choice back four are all very good (individually at least), even if Sagna and Clichy have been below par (when fit) this season!

How do they get a free there!!!

Thank fook for that!

Souless wrote: »
    F*cking rediculous, here comes the equaliser! :mad:

it was a definite foul you guys make me lol some times.

I really wanted yee to win this game, but the reaction there made me really want sunderland to score that free kick, just because you're all wrong.

FFS let the Eboue incident from last season go :rolleyes:

I really wanted yee to win this game, but the reaction there made me really want sunderland to score that free kick, just because you're all wrong.
    Ok!!!
    Peno!!

• Advertisement

definite penalty too.

**** off Macari, clueless again.

How is it a foul? Vermalen fell over and didn't touch Bent.

I didn't see it to be honest but, we were clearly fouled at the other end in a similar position!

Penalty!!!

Penalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Penalty given by the linesman, looked outsidish too.

Can't say they don't deserve a 2nd

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

All the way!

How is it a foul? Vermalen fell over and didn't touch Bent.

He did touch him, he was lying behind him and tripped him like that old prank where guy crouches behind someone elses pushes them over. Classic really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Tucked it away nicely.

Fairly poor performance but, I'm delighted with the three points!

never a penalty to be honest. shoulder to shoulder and fabregas just flopped to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

bruce out :pac:

Tomorrows papers

"Revenge of the linesman"

He did touch him, he was lying behind him and tripped him like that old prank where guy crouches behind someone elses pushes them over. Classic really.

Have to see it again but certainly didn't see it like that, will wastch MOTD later.

it was hardly intentional though

never a penalty to be honest. shoulder to shoulder and fabregas just flopped to the ground.

Stone wall penalty alan, whoever it was stuck a leg in between fabregas' legs and tripped him.

I thought the same too. It is not a foul in the classic sense of the word, but i would have given the free too.

Game Over.

Happy days that will do me :)

jasonorr wrote: »
    Fairly poor performance but, I'm delighted with the three points!

Exactly 3 points was the main thing :D

I agree fully, doesn't matter though, intent only matters for the card, the foul is still a foul.

Stone wall penalty alan, whoever it was stuck a leg in between fabregas' legs and tripped him.
    Are we talking about the same incident?!

• Advertisement

No it wasn't, but i don't think it's fair to punish Bent in that regard, given that Vermaelen made the "mistake" in falling over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Job well done. Happy Days. Great work ethic by Eboue, very impressed with him.

2-0

2 nil to the Arsenal, 2 nil to the Arsenal....

Are we talking about the same incident?!

Yep I could be wrong of course, fairly sure I saw a leg stuck in that knocked Fab, you can normally tell by the way his leg shunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

WTF? You're giving out to Arsenal fans here for not thinking it was a foul? Where were you in the first half when turner pulled the same stunt on Fabregas on the edge of the box? Sounds more like you want an excuse to have a go at Arsenal fans tbh.

WTF? You're giving out to Arsenal fans here for not thinking it was a foul? Where were you in the first half when turner pulled the same stunt on Fabregas on the edge of the box? Sounds more like you want an excuse to have a go at Arsenal fans tbh.

what you couldn't be more wrong, I've been shouting for Arsenal all game, I honestly didn't see the 1st half incident as I only saw about the half the first half,
    I only said it because Macari was spouting out about it, and several other people seemed angry, about what is a definite if unintentional foul.

So come on give it a break. I was just pointing out wrongness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

re:the penalty. It was a definate foul, but I honestly think the incidint started outside the box so probably should have been a free kick on the edge.

Deserved win for the Gunners overall when you stack up teh respective teams' chances.

Bit of a laugh Setanta giving Cesc man of the match. Both Song and Eboué (:eek:) played much better than he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Came across this piece of comedy gold.

Didn't realise Walcott had been quite so inspiring today:D:D:D
    Walcott inspires Arsenal to win over Sunderland

By Frank Malley, PA
    Saturday, 20 February 2010

Theo Walcott may not yet have secured his seat on England's World Cup plane to South Africa.

But he could hardly have turned in a better audition than the performance he produced in front of England manager Fabio Capello at the Emirates stadium today.

Nicklas Bendtner scored the first-half goal and Cesc Fabregas the injury-time penalty which defeated a sterile Sunderland side but it was Walcott who produced the pace and the menace.

At times it had shades of Zagreb 2008, the night Walcott scored a hat-trick against Croatia which set England on the right course in their World Cup qualifying campaign.

There were no goals this time but if you want a winger to terrorise defenders, then Walcott in this mood does it better than most.

But if Walcott was Arsenal's most lethal attacker, the other man who made the difference was Manuel Almunia.

Arsene Wenger had been anxious to stress his support for Lukasz Fabianski after the young Polish goalkeeper's two howlers had sunk the Gunners in their Champions League defeat against Porto in midweek, but it did not stretch to keeping him in the side.

He went for the experience of 34-year-old Almunia, who was back after passing a fitness test on an injured finger. Sol Campbell, whose backpass also contributed to the Gunners' downfall, started on the bench.

But if the disappointment of Portugal lingered then it did not show. Arsenal were quicker to the ball, Fabregas and Aaron Ramsey seizing control in midfield with their slide-rule passing and pretty patterns.

Walcott announced his desire as early as the fourth minute, sprinting past Sunderland full-back George McCartney like an Olympic finalist - which is not that far-fetched, considering he has been timed at a hand-held 10.2 seconds for 100m.

McCartney must have wondered then if it had been a good idea to get out of bed this particular Saturday.

The answer came time and again over the next hour or so as Walcott tempted him in and then left him in his wake in a straight foot race.

Quite how Sunderland went in only one goal down in that first-half is one of life's little mysteries.

McCartney was part of the reason, deflecting one Samir Nasri shot over the crossbar and then somehow diverting a Bendtner left-foot blast on to the bar only to see it bounce to safety.

The opening goal, however, came courtesy of a slaloming run from Emmanuel Eboue which would not have been out of place on the slopes in Vancouver.

At the end of it he found a precision pass across the box which found Bendtner loitering in cavernous space at the far post. Bendtner may have scored easier goals but it is doubtful.

True, Fraizer Campbell did bring one fine save from Almunia - and how Kenwyne Jones did not score when clean through with only Almunia to beat, only he knows. But for the most part Steve Bruce's side were out-thought, out-manoeuvred and out-played.

They were also somewhat fortunate to finish with a full complement after Sunderland captain Lorik Cana launched a two-footed tackle which felled Eboue. Referee Steve Bennett produced a yellow card, which could easily have been red.

The second half was more of the same, Arsenal flooding forward, full of spark. Walcott brought a fine save from Gordon, Thomas Vermaelen almost decapitated the Sunderland goalkeeper with a free-kick pile-driver and chances were made and squandered in equal measure.

Arsenal almost paid the price - and would have done if it was not for the quick thinking of Almunia, who raced out to smother a Darren Bent shot when the striker was clean through.

There were a few nervy moments for the Gunners as they failed to cash in on their superior possession.

But in injury time Fabregas was brought down by Campbell on the edge of the area and the Spaniard, forever Arsenal's orchestrator, got up to rap home Arsenal's second from the spot.

It was no more than Wenger's men deserved.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/walcott-inspires-arsenal-to-win-over-sunderland-1905760.html

Came across this piece of comedy gold.

Didn't realise Walcott had been quite so inspiring today:D:D:D

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/walcott-inspires-arsenal-to-win-over-sunderland-1905760.html

Did he watch the game or just see highlights somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

jasonorr wrote: »
    Did he watch the game or just see highlights somewhere?

He probably just watched the game on ceefax

Advertisement