Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Laurel hedging cheap

Options
  • 20-02-2010 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I went to a local nursery yesterday to buy some Laurel (he had quoted €3 each for a 2 ft tall plant last Autumn but other events cames up and I forgot about it). Talking to him yesterday, he wanted €6 a plant and the specimens he had were very withered and sick looking so I left it. A few visits to garden centres left me with prices of €7 and upwards a plant. As I want about 120 of them, this is too much for my budget.

So are there any other places selling Laurel at or around the €3 a plant mark in the Kildare area?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

You could try http://futureforests.net I have a pricelist off them that show Laurel 2' plants at €320 for 100. I've never used them, but they do deliver bareroot by post. Not so sure about potted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Cheers Qwerty. That seems to be exactly what I wanted.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I would always have to recommend Cappagh Nurseries in Aughrim Co. Wicklow We bought over 100 plants from them last December for ~1.60 each

http://www.vanderwel.ie/index.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Qwerty? wrote: »
    You could try http://futureforests.net I have a pricelist off them that show Laurel 2' plants at €320 for 100. I've never used them, but they do deliver bareroot by post. Not so sure about potted.

Same as that, got 400 hedge plants off them last year, all bareroot and none have died on me yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

yop wrote: »
    Same as that, got 400 hedge plants off them last year, all bareroot and none have died on me yet :)

I actually used them the last week for hornbeam hedging. Ordered on the Thursday, and they arrived on the Friday morning. Very helpful on the phone too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 direct

I used New Hedging Ireland http://www.newhedging.com for a nice new hedge that was planted last year and it's coming on nicely. The hedging plants were very nice and i got laurel hedging put in. They deliver the plants and also plant them if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I went to a local nursery yesterday to buy some Laurel (he had quoted €3 each for a 2 ft tall plant last Autumn but other events cames up and I forgot about it). Talking to him yesterday, he wanted €6 a plant and the specimens he had were very withered and sick looking so I left it. A few visits to garden centres left me with prices of €7 and upwards a plant. As I want about 120 of them, this is too much for my budget.

So are there any other places selling Laurel at or around the €3 a plant mark in the Kildare area?

Thanks

october is coming , it is time to stick cuttings in the ground and watch them grow, i did not buy any of my hedge, i put loads of cuttings down and i have a beautiful boundry that i can cut as low or high in places as i like, your friends and neighbours will be glad to give you what they throw away, that is what i did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Hi Goat2 - could you tell me how you went about that? I have about 4 meters of a galvanised security fence at the back of the garden that I'd like to plant along. I have some existing Griselinia and Red Robin elsewhere in the garden. Would they be easy to take cuttings from? How quickly could you expect them to establish? I only want them to go about 1 meter high, above that height I will paint the fence as it actually lets light into the garden from late afternoon onwards. Behind the first meter of the fence is a mess with an uneven earth mound and old stumps all along it that I want to hide. (We back onto the railway so the fence separates our garden from an Irish rail ditch)

Failing that idea, how quickly would bareroots take to grow about 1 meter high - say Griselinia or laurel.
    Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

redser7 wrote: »
    Hi Goat2 - could you tell me how you went about that? I have about 4 meters of a galvanised security fence at the back of the garden that I'd like to plant along. I have some existing Griselinia and Red Robin elsewhere in the garden. Would they be easy to take cuttings from? How quickly could you expect them to establish? I only want them to go about 1 meter high, above that height I will paint the fence as it actually lets light into the garden from late afternoon onwards. Behind the first meter of the fence is a mess with an uneven earth mound and old stumps all along it that I want to hide. (We back onto the railway so the fence separates our garden from an Irish rail ditch)

Failing that idea, how quickly would bareroots take to grow about 1 meter high - say Griselinia or laurel.
    Thanks a million!

You can easily take Cuttings of both Laurel and Griselinia, however Photinia Red robin is a bit more fussy.

Expect 6 months for the Cutting to "root" and at least another year for some "top" growth ... you might be close to reaching 1 metre in 3-5 years depending on how good the conditions are ..(Soil, shelter etc.)

By Buying "Barerooted hedging" you are saving from 1.5 years and more likely 2.5 years depending on the size of the cutting..

Expect most Bareroot's to take one year to establish (More Root growth than "top" )
    But once established both Laurel and Griselinia are vigourous...

To help the plants... Control Weeds around the Cuttings (Using a narrow Black "plastic" strip along the Bed to control weeds also helps "warm" the soil for developing roots.... ) and later around the Hedge. add a fertilizer for Root Development (Something like 0.10.20 (N).(P).(K))

Thanks a lot Jezko. That's very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

goat2 wrote: »
    october is coming , it is time to stick cuttings in the ground and watch them grow, i did not buy any of my hedge, i put loads of cuttings down and i have a beautiful boundry that i can cut as low or high in places as i like, your friends and neighbours will be glad to give you what they throw away, that is what i did

Is there any particular technique (i.e which particular parts do you cut from the mature hedge). Have about 120 feet out the back I want to hedge which I wouldn't mind waiting a few years to establish itself. Want to save my money for a smaller run of potted hedge out front.

clown bag wrote: »
    Is there any particular technique (i.e which particular parts do you cut from the mature hedge). Have about 120 feet out the back I want to hedge which I wouldn't mind waiting a few years to establish itself. Want to save my money for a smaller run of potted hedge out front.

cut off this yrs growth and stick it in ground, put 3 where you want 1 plant to grow so you can be sure of plants, as you will have failures but if you put plenty in you can then afford to lose some, all my garden came free, i took cuttings from friends and nicked the odd cutting where i saw it hanging over a wall, now i furnish people with plenty cuttings every autumn, roses are great to root also, just cut top 3 feet off the plant, and push the bottom in the ground and the yr after next you will have roses, rambling roses are lovely among the hedge they fall all over it and give off a great smell, hydrangea, buddalea, all plants will come from cuttings, just cut and push in the ground and you will save yourself thousands, keep pushing every cutting you can get your hands on and you will have all you want, trees are also great to grow from cuttings,

How much goes in the ground. Is it just the stalk cut just under a joint, with any leaves stripped from it?. Are we talking a few inches buried in the ground, more / less? Is it best to stick them straight into the ground or can I grow them in pots in a green house and transfer them to the ground this time next year? Also, can you recommend any type of compost to aid growth.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a noob gardener. Would like to plant a lot of hedging and would love to have a healthy pot grown variety ready to plant in the ground next november.

leave two or three feet of green above ground and about 18 inches underground just take off the sideshoots on the underground bit and push it into the ground, push loads in as they will all shelter one another and you will be allowing for those that dont take off, then next summer when mowing the lawn, put the grass clippings along the feet of these plants, as it will keep down weeds and grass from growing around them and keep them moist also when it rots away it will be like fertaliser, so waste not want not,

goat2 wrote: »
    leave two or three feet of green above ground and about 18 inches underground just take off the sideshoots on the underground bit and push it into the ground, push loads in as they will all shelter one another and you will be allowing for those that dont take off, then next summer when mowing the lawn, put the grass clippings along the feet of these plants, as it will keep down weeds and grass from growing around them and keep them moist also when it rots away it will be like fertaliser, so waste not want not,

3 foot above ground and a foot and a half below :eek:
    That's 4 and a half feet worth of a "clipping" of new growth. When you said clippings of new growth I thought we were talking a few inches in the ground and a few inches above.

Any chance of a pic of a clipping or a good reference site. I don't want to waste a year thinking I've planted them right only for nothing to happen. Also, can I take clippings from any hedge or are particular types of hedging easier to grow from clippings.

i do not mean soft growth, i mean it would be about a yr old at the part you put below ground, they can be a foot below ground and 18 inches above ground also, i hope to do you up a picture as we still have plenty time to start the job,

Aldi will be selling 4 year old laurel plants (0.5 - 0.9 m tall) soon. 5 euro. Check their website ...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Hi, I want to plant hedging in front of my house but I have a cement driveway. Would it be possible to break this up myself and plant some hedging or is it too difficult? Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

zipzoc wrote: »
    Hi, I want to plant hedging in front of my house but I have a cement driveway. Would it be possible to break this up myself and plant some hedging or is it too difficult? Any advice?

Hedging would require at least 600mm soil (depth+width), 900mm would be better.

Scribe a line with chalk on the concrete. Cut alond line with Consaw to at least 75-100mm, this provides a neat albeit sharp edge. You can then break the concrete with Kango hammer or larger depending on how strong the concrete. Excavate all rubble including subbase to soil level. Before planting hedge backfill excavated trench with good topsoil and also well rotted manure (if available).

It isn't too difficult, the consawing might be the tricky part for a novice, important to wear eye, ear and hand protection.

Tools can be hired, best deals usually at weekends, eg hire for 2 days, pay for 1!;)

Thanks Sonnenblumen. I'll have a think about that. I just have a horrible feeling I'd make a mess of it! But you never know....

• Advertisement

just to report back, I got 30 potted laurels (2t-3ft) in height for €120 in a nursery out past ashbourne. Worked out at €4 a plant. Can't remember the name of the place, will post it later when I get home.

Had a look at the aldi ones that day they were selling them and they didnt look the best. The ones from the nursery were as tall but were also much more bushy. The aldi ones were literally just 2 straight stalks with no side growth at all.

Hi Clown Bag, how tall will those laurels grow and how long will it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

clown bag wrote: »
    just to report back, I got 30 potted laurels (2t-3ft) in height for €120 in a nursery out past ashbourne. Worked out at €4 a plant. Can't remember the name of the place, will post it later when I get home.

Had a look at the aldi ones that day they were selling them and they didnt look the best. The ones from the nursery were as tall but were also much more bushy. The aldi ones were literally just 2 straight stalks with no side growth at all.

Ashbrook?? perhaps on the slane side of ashbourne.

Was following this with interest, wonder if you remembered the name/location of that place? Thanks

If possible I'd like to know the name and location too. Also I would like to know if it's still a good time to plant? And what if it starts to get very cold later this month and into November? Still ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Just to remind folks it's nearly time for bare root hedging/trees... you could save a bit this way.... 2/3 foot laurel can be got for less than a euro!!! depending on the number of plants you purchase....and where you go...

Where would you recommend to buy? And how tall does laurel grow?

Another question; how many plants would you need to sow per meter length of soil for it to grow into a good, strong hedge?

anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It all depends on plant size, eg whips plant c 3-5 /m, 3Litre pot plant at 400mm centres. Tall stock plant 1/m.

Advertisement