Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Laurel hedging cheap

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Yea, I guess. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

zipzoc wrote: »
    Where would you recommend to buy? And how tall does laurel grow?

I went to a Garden Centre/Nursery in the Avoca Village, Wicklow.. Just Can't remember the Name now.. A few Years back... They Grow all there own ... Side of a Hill over looking the Village....

How tall of a Hedge do you want??? a 5 feet or less forget about Laurel i would say ... If 5 feet or more you will need to prune late Autumn.. to keep it at the height you need..

Hi Jezko. Thanks. I guess around 6 foot, maybe 7, max. So I guess it's ok to plant Nov to April then prune next Autumn? I'd like to get a bit of height by next Summer. You think that's possible? Sorry if I sound like a total amateur!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

zipzoc wrote: »
    Hi Jezko. Thanks. I guess around 6 foot, maybe 7, max. So I guess it's ok to plant Nov to April then prune next Autumn? I'd like to get a bit of height by next Summer. You think that's possible? Sorry if I sound like a total amateur!

if you can source bare root plants and plant before winter really kicks in ... planting now will encourage the plants to "root in" as the soil will still be warm from summer.... but don't plant on a frosty day.... not quite sure why... been told this... but as you say no rush ...you can source bare root till April

You may not have to prune next Autumn...and only bit's to encourage side shoots to develop on long upward growths in the next few years .. as I doubt you'll have much if any "top" growth in the first year...

If you want the hedge to grow As soon as planted you might be better off using potted plant's!!! Debateable

Bare root plants have had a shock in that the roots are heavily pruned when harvested and these roots need to regrow in the first year... hence very little "top" growth.

Thanks Jezko!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 emmetdoc1991

They are all really expensive, there's a nursery in Donegal that i used before that sell all the major types, laurel, Portuguese laurel etc!!

Got Portuguese from them in march time, 2 euro a piece and they are between 2-3 foot,

they also delivered for a pretty decent fee...

they give you some fertiliser free too with the hedging

Advertisement