Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planing Balsa

Options
  • 20-02-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Whats a good small plane for planing balsa? It's for shaping the leading edge and other bits.
    I saw the Airscrew plane on ebay, and I sure I saw one that takes single edge blades, but I can't find it now.

What are you guys using?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I used to use the SLEC one. It's made of black plastic. Got it off a UK shop while on hols. I think it was the Ripmax hobby store at Middlesex.
    Sometime a few years ago I got an Aeronaut mini plane and still have this one. Got that from Green Hobby Dublin.
    The Aeronaut is a more durable job made of metal, with a pack of blades along with it inside the box. It's a narrower blade than the SLEC. It might be standard shaving blades but I haven't tried fitting blades from the chemists into it yet since the originals aren't used up yet. The SLEC are special wider than usual blades.
    They're all good and a very handy tool to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Thanks coolwings. I'll look out for an Aeronaut. Anywhere online you know of selling them?

Advertisement