Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closest surf to U.L?

Options
  • 20-02-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey,
    Just wondering is Lahinch the closest surfable spot to U.L?
    any 'organised' trips there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

doonbeg / spanish point aswell probably

i dont know of any organised trips to lahinch but check the ul boarders club

the windsurf club go to kerry regularly and some of them go surfing when there if the swell is good

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

Kilkee is probably as close as Lahinch and pretty decent. Lahinch does have the surf cam though....

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

as far as i know, Kilkee is no really much of a surf spot as its a very sheltered beach.
    lahinch, spanish point are close to UL

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

Kilkee is probably as close as Lahinch and pretty decent. Lahinch does have the surf cam though....

Kilkee is alright for a swim but for surfing you probably mean doughmore or whitestrand if swell is big/wind right both of which in doonbeg about 7 mile from kilkee. its about and hr from limerick, lahinch is a bit less but generally doughmore is bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

TO the posters above, Doughmore is a dangerous beach with serious currents / rips. I have no idea of the original posters surfing abilities, but it is better to assume that they are a relative novice (based on the question). Hence, I would not recommend it to someone I do not know, nor should others.

With regards to Kilkee, it is not a surfing beach, there are (excepting exceptional cases) no waves there.

Lahinch is likley to be the closest. About an hour from UL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Lahinch is definitely the closest beach to UL. I drive west almost every weekend and ive tried all the different routes and the main limerick-ennis-lahinch route is the quickest to the surf. As people mentioned, Kilkee has no waves usually and is a further drive anyway, dont bother.

I travel from Corbally-Lahinch and that usually takes 1hr 5 - 1hr 10 with no traffic. Id imagine you'd be looking at 1hr 20 for Castletroy-Lahinch.

Wish i had started surfing before or while i was in college, although if i had then i think i never would have made it into college!
    Kilkee is alright for a swim but for surfing you probably mean doughmore or whitestrand if swell is big/wind right both of which in doonbeg about 7 mile from kilkee. its about and hr from limerick, lahinch is a bit less but generally doughmore is bigger
    Do NOT go to Doughmore on a big swell if you've never been there. 'OldGuysRule' is right, it is a dangerous place. Ive been caught in some frightening rips out there before on a smallish medium day. There was one particular day last year where i genuinely thought that my mate would be calling the coastguard, no joke, i was that far out but i somehow managed to make it back it in after a long long paddle. Ive been surfing a few years but that experience shook me for a while to be honest.
    Take Care

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Plus two on doughmore being tricky, got caught in a strong rip there more than once. Lehinch or Spanish point are the closest to UL also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Decos wrote: »
    Do NOT go to Doughmore on a big swell if you've never been there. 'OldGuysRule' is right, it is a dangerous place. Ive been caught in some frightening rips out there before on a smallish medium day. There was one particular day last year where i genuinely thought that my mate would be calling the coastguard, no joke, i was that far out but i somehow managed to make it back it in after a long long paddle. Ive been surfing a few years but that experience shook me for a while to be honest.
    Take Care
    Got burned by that one to once at DM reckon we were half a mile out in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I've been warned about doughmore before, never experienced its infamous rips, but I only go there when Lahinch is too small anyway.

Anywhere with a dangerous bathing sign is a tricky surf generally? Was in strandhill when it was big enough and we were carried the full length of the beach to the left in 5-10 mins.

Back on topic; Lahinch is closest.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sean-og3

Thanks for the advice, i'l stick with lahinch!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement