Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Waterford

• 20-02-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,
    I posted this in the general chat thread but i thought might be more appropriate...

A move to Waterford for work is on the cards for me,
    I have never been to waterford for anything other than work and for no longer than a few days at a time,
    I dont know anyone down there, I would be moving on my own and I'm wondering can anyone give any insight/ advice on this for me???
    Im in dublin at the mo.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I'm a Waterford native, and fiercely proud of the city so I'm a bit biased. Also, I've lived away from Waterford for a few years so I know what else is out there.

For me the best thing about life in Waterford is you are close to County Waterford. I like the outdoors, and Waterford is great for everything from mountains to the sea to cycling to nice villages like Passage East or Ardmore. Plenty to do if you have some imagination and energy.

I think the city has huge potential, but under performs a bit. People here tended to expect things to be done for us by the government and complained about no bridge or university. However, since the closure of Waterford Crystal especially, I think this has really changed. There seems to be a lot of energy in improving the city, with a new city centre crystal facility, tackling of out of town retail, and good promotion of the Tall Ships race. This is stuff that Waterford is doing for itself.

Waterford has 50,000 people, and will never be a major concert venue or cultural centre if thats what your into. For me my life is work, exploring the county and the weekend, see a gig maybe at the weekend, and if I want to see a big concert then we are now only about 2 hours from Dublin with the new road. There are also some nice pubs (but everywhere in Ireland has a few nice pubs).

Housing is cheaper here than other places too. No mad commuting needed, so you can expect to be home from work within 30min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 computersaysno

Seeing as it's a small city you'll probably meet loads of people fairly easily, I think Waterford people are really friendly, the ones I know and their friends are anyway :) And you're near Tramore so you can do a spot of surfing...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Waterford is great. Make The Move:)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

Hey!

I moved from Cork to Waterford City over 6 months ago and absolutely love it! People are really friendly! Its so nice to more or less have a beach on your doorstep aswell. The rent I have found is cheap compared to Cork, KK etc.

We are living in The Courtyard Apartments and it is so central. Its also quiet here too which is an added bonus!

So DO MAKE THE MOVE! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

What we can tell you might depend a bit on your situation clonna. Are you male/female, young/old? What are your hobbies and interests? All that kind of stuff can affect how you might or might not like Waterford.

But I personally love it here. I think it's just big enough to not be boring and not so big that it's overbearing. Like other posters have mentioned, the fact that numerous beautiful beaches are only a few minutes away is a massive plus for me. Of course my family are from here too which helps but I've always found that most people in Waterford are a friendly sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm a blow-in married to a deise man and moved from London 13 years ago. We rented a house in south Kilkenny for 6 months before crossing the bridge and buying our current home. Also in time for our 2nd son to be a deise baby and not a kk baby.

I didn't like living in Waterford initially but that was down to a number of things such as living near the inlaws from hell which had a major negative effect, got pregnant straight after moving from London then being sick throughout the whole pregnancy while being stuck at home with a toddler and not knowing anyone other than the inlaws.

If I'd been working then I'd have met people so more than likely would have gotten to know people. Once I had my baby and started meeting other people at parent and baby/toddler groups then I started enjoying living in Waterford.

I'm originally from Galway but I wouldn't move back there. I now love living in Waterford and cannnot see us moving.

Waterford is a small city so you're only minutes from a beach and countryside and if you want to go into the city centre it's much quicker to get into than the likes of Dublin or Galway.

The people are friendly and helpful ie., a few years ago neighbours of mine from Galway (in their 60's) came to Waterford for a Waterford v Galway hurling match. They came out a different gate than they entered and were walking around trying to find their car. An elderly Waterford couple were out the front of their house and noticed that my neighbours were looking a bit lost and offered to help, the man offered to drive my neighbours around to streets to help locate their car and and the woman invited them into her home for tea. It was my neighbour's first visit to Waterford but they went back to Galway and told people how friendly and helpful Waterford people are.

The weather in the south east is generally milder than further north.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 clonna

Thanks for all the replies,
    really helpful that both natives and new comers wrote back! :)

Im female and 26, the place im going to work hasnt got alot of people my age or who actually live in waterford city.
    My commute to work at the moment is over 2hrs daily so the commute to and from waterford at weekends wont be a big issue.
    I suppose making friends and having a network in waterford is the issue really but then there are evening classes and courses which should make meeting people easier and, by the looks of it, people are friendly.

so thanks for all the advice-keep it coming, its very helpful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

The Waterford forum beers night could be one way of meeting people. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

clonna wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies,
    really helpful that both natives and new comers wrote back! :)

Im female and 26, the place im going to work hasnt got alot of people my age or who actually live in waterford city.
    My commute to work at the moment is over 2hrs daily so the commute to and from waterford at weekends wont be a big issue.
    I suppose making friends and having a network in waterford is the issue really but then there are evening classes and courses which should make meeting people easier and, by the looks of it, people are friendly.

so thanks for all the advice-keep it coming, its very helpful!

If you do make the move I suggest you check the local newspapers. They have community notices of things like hiking clubs or so on.

Also as you would be saving 2 hours a day from not commuting you should have energy for an evening class. WIT have plenty of classes if you want to brush up on your Irish or learn some astronomy, as well as the usual full cert/diploma/degree courses. They have a wide selection so I'm sure you'd find something you are interested in.

Even if your job doesn't have people your age, Waterford as a whole does.

deisemum wrote: »
    The Waterford forum beers night could be one way of meeting people. ;)

Right you are deisemum. (Don't think we haven't noticed that you're not showing interest in coming either!)

I think at your age clonna, there wouldn't be any bother at all meeting people. It sounds like you'd have a better quality of life down here than in Dublin (in terms of the commuting and that). So I wouldn't let the social thing put you off it. And you've made a good start by coming onto this board too!

• Advertisement

I enjoy going to the gym and like doing classes in the evenings so this move would definitely enable me to spend more time on these things.
    I dont know when this move is going to come about but i should know better before the end of the week, maybe not for def tho!

I have also been looking at places to live, i want to stay in the city because this will make all the social things easier and il probably be able to walk to work which would a lovely change to driving.there are a few nice apartments on daft, il only need a one bed. I know people who went to college in waterford too so that should help with picking out areas which arent student dominated. Iv def outgrown that lifestyle and as i said before, this move is primarily for work so id like a quiet place.

It does sound very promising from all your posts. Thanks again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

dont forget to try a lovely blaa when you get down here.

seanybiker wrote: »
    dont forget to try a lovely blaa when you get down here.

blaa???

blaa???
    omg. A blaa is the nicest thing you will ever have. Ask your student friends what they thought of blaas. Lovely floury baps(kinda). They rule. You should move here for the blaas alone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Meant to get a couple this morning.Now I has a hungry for one :(

omg. A blaa is the nicest thing you will ever have. Ask your student friends what they thought of blaas. Lovely floury baps(kinda). They rule. You should move here for the blaas alone :)

well il hav to find a gym before i find Blaas so!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Hi OP,

Here is a few things you can do in the city and the surrounding South East while living in Waterford City

Sight Seeing
    Activities
    • Winter Running League - On every winter from November to February. Great fun and over 800 people participant. Highly recommend you try it out. It doesn't matter how fit you are. I'm not a fan of running myself but always do the Winter Running League.
    • Waterford Triathlon Club
    • Cycling, very popular in Waterford
    • Dunmore East Adventure Centre - learn to Sail or Kayak. I did the sailing with a few lads from work and we had great fun.
    • www.seapaddling.com - evening kayaking is the best during the summer. Mick the owner/instructor is dead sound and I guarantee you will love it. Look at the photos on the website. You dont need to swim, life jacket supplied and the only people who tip over at the messers. An instructor goes out with you all the time and shows you cool hidden places that you need a kayak to see.
    • Go Karting - Kiltorcan Raceway Kart Circuit - 15 min drive outside the city.
    • Horse Riding
    • Bowling
    • Cooking Lessons - The Tannery Restaurant, Phelim Byrne and Dunbrody House

Festivals

Maybe other people could suggest more things for you. My list is not definitive.

- BFG

Thank you BFG,

Thats a great list and il definitely be looking into loads of them.

I have a boyfriend and we love doing things like those you listed together so that'd be a great pull towards waterford at the weekend, i know most of these things exist everywhere but actually naming them is great. Thanks a mill for the list!

I really appreciate all of this advice from everyone, honestly if this kind of hopitality is what i can expect from waterford in general, thats brilliant.

I also had a look at the beer forum and it sounds like its going to be fun. Unfortunately, the move hasnt been confirmed yet and so if i do decide to make it, its unlikely to be in the next month. but il def keep an eye out for the next event. ;)

Thank you BFG,

Thats a great list and il definitely be looking into loads of them.

I have a boyfriend and we love doing things like those you listed together so that'd be a great pull towards waterford at the weekend, i know most of these things exist everywhere but actually naming them is great. Thanks a mill for the list!

I really appreciate all of this advice from everyone, honestly if this kind of hopitality is what i can expect from waterford in general, thats brilliant.

I also had a look at the beer forum and it sounds like its going to be fun. Unfortunately, the move hasnt been confirmed yet and so if i do decide to make it, its unlikely to be in the next month. but il def keep an eye out for the next event. ;)

Yeah I thikn the general concensus is that Waterford is a friendly place. When I was in college, basically every American that came to Ireland visitied the city and said they foudn the people friendly and the city enjoyable.

With regard to the beers, we're planning on making it a regular occurance, maybe every three months or something so you could be well settled by the time the next one comes around!

Be sure to keep us updated and if your move is going ahead, don't hesitate to ask about all those silly little practical things you need when moving to a new place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Edit: on second thoughts, I guess this is probably something I shouldnt really be sharing on this thread, considering with you only moving here, you shouldn't be paranoid on entry.

Also, I'm afraid of also getting stabbed in the face.

Honeybadger, fancy editing yer quote below?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

edited

hope he presses charges, cant leave em get away with everything.

Actually bit of an ould edit.
    Do you know for a fact it was a traveller who done this and do you also know for a fact that the cops said your man would be better off not pressing charges or is this just another, ah sure we will blame it on the travellers because thats what people like to hear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

omg. A blaa is the nicest thing you will ever have.

Easy now Sean. Thats abit much.

Easy now Sean. Thats abit much.

well ok, a woman is nicer but ya know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

blanked. PM me if you want to talk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Im female and 26

Yayyyyyyyyy!!!
    il only need a one bed

That's fine with me!
    I have a boyfriend

Ah FFS! Story of my life... TEASE!!!

:D

gscully wrote: »
    Yayyyyyyyyy!!!

That's fine with me!

Ah FFS! Story of my life... TEASE!!!

:D

Hahaha...made me laugh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

I moved to Waterford from England 6 years ago and I love the place! The people are really friendly and I am now engaged to be married to a deise girl and we have a deise baby (Although he will be supporting England this weekend!!!) :p

As BFG mentioned, there is plenty to do and see. I was told there are around 25 beaches in the South-East. Woodstown is my personal favourite, has that lovely soft sand.

Seanybiker. A blaa is basically a barm with flour on it! We English created them years ago! :D(Winds him up with big wooden spoon!) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

DanGlee wrote: »
    Seanybiker. A blaa is basically a barm with flour on it! We English created them years ago! :D(Winds him up with big wooden spoon!) ;)

DanGlee, Ireland is basically England with a bit of class and likeable people :p

BTW, how can he be a Deise baby when you live in Co. KK and he's named after a member of your Royal Family? :D

***Expecting a torrent of abuse on facebook from you now ***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Nah GS, never the twain shall meet! Boards & FB are two separate entities. Boards for the more seriour discussions in life and Facebook to take the piss out of everything and everybody else! :D

He's a Deise baby cos he was born in WRH, no? or do you base it on where they are brought up? Personally I'm a "where you're born" person!

Anyway, welcome to boards and Waterford clonna! Any jobs where your going, am in the market for one myself! ;)

Advertisement