Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Waterford

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

DanGlee wrote: »
    He's a Deise baby cos he was born in WRH, no?

Careful now...a can of worms has just been opened across the river!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 clonna

DanGlee wrote: »
    Anyway, welcome to boards and Waterford clonna! Any jobs where your going, am in the market for one myself! ;)

Thanks!
    Nah I dont think so...sorry...:(

on the point bout babies, cant really say where you're born is where you're from, sure they'd be none of us from half the counties!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

clonna wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Nah I dont think so...sorry...:(

on the point bout babies, cant really say where you're born is where you're from, sure they'd be none of us from half the counties!:D
    Course its where you where born. If it wasnt then Im jamaican. They rule mon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tommytoofar

Would like to make it to the boards beers nite, but think I have to be somewhere else that night. Bugger!! Its nice to know that people are willing to make other people welcome, hard enough to make new pals in this climate. :)

Would like to make it to the boards beers nite, but think I have to be somewhere else that night. Bugger!! Its nice to know that people are willing to make other people welcome, hard enough to make new pals in this climate. :)
    sure if you dont make this one you might make the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tommytoofar

Cheers. Tis just breaking away from the cycle of being stuck in the gaff yknow. Tag rugby was great but didint last long enuf, n when yer d only 1 of 4 dat wants to get out n about it aint easy. Hope it works out for that girla nd her bf too.

Cheers. Tis just breaking away from the cycle of being stuck in the gaff yknow. Tag rugby was great but didint last long enuf, n when yer d only 1 of 4 dat wants to get out n about it aint easy. Hope it works out for that girla nd her bf too.
    Same here boy. Stuck in me house all the time. Cant get motivated to leave the place at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jonnycwh

can i just say that i find once 5.30pm comes the whole city just shuts down with nothing to do!! its ok in the summer when you can go to the beach or something but in the winter its just misery! maybe i just haven't found the right things to be doing in the evenings? the only thing i can do in the evenings is go to tesco or tk maxx

jonnycwh wrote: »
    can i just say that i find once 5.30pm comes the whole city just shuts down with nothing to do!! its ok in the summer when you can go to the beach or something but in the winter its just misery! maybe i just haven't found the right things to be doing in the evenings? the only thing i can do in the evenings is go to tesco or tk maxx

haha...i like tesco n tk maxx :D
    like i said, all not finalised yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Clonna, if you like real Italian, make sure you try out "La Taverna" when you come down here.

Here is a facebook link

• Advertisement

baronflyguy, is la taverna a good spot for lunch or will ya feel like a tool sitting on your own?! :confused:

baronflyguy, is la taverna a good spot for lunch or will ya feel like a tool sitting on your own?! :confused:
    You only look like a tool when you feel like a tool :D

Yeah you could pop in for lunch on your own. Small tables for two would be grand. Bring in a paper or something.

tbh, I haven't eaten in there for lunch in a long time.

haha thanks! i will pop in for lunch some day and tell you if i felt like a tool

Something different from the norm that I heard is the rage lately - Dunbrody Archery in New Ross (25 mins drive) every tuesday night 7-10pm

I found this youtube about them in action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku3CyakGWe0
    Other suggestions of things to do in the evenings.... loads of Circuit Training class on in the ciddy, Table Quizes on every now and again, join a club or organisation. Do night classes in WIT or CTI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

I'm from Waterford but I've lived away for years.It's really made me appreciate Waterford so much more!!I think when I lived there I took everything it has to offer for granted but now I realise what a brilliant little place it is.It wasn't till I left that I noticed how bright and warm and clean the town is in comparison to many other places.Anytime I see a local paper or read about events happening down there I get a little sad as there's nearly always something to do there and I'm sorry I'm missing out.Nothing beats that feeling you get when you're coming down Sally Park and can see Rice Bridge and the quay on the horizon....home.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Tiddlers wrote: »
    I'm from Waterford but I've lived away for years.It's really made me appreciate Waterford so much more!!I think when I lived there I took everything it has to offer for granted but now I realise what a brilliant little place it is.It wasn't till I left that I noticed how bright and warm and clean the town is in comparison to many other places.Anytime I see a local paper or read about events happening down there I get a little sad as there's nearly always something to do there and I'm sorry I'm missing out.Nothing beats that feeling you get when you're coming down Sally Park and can see Rice Bridge and the quay on the horizon....home.:rolleyes:

I think that's the same for a lot of people. Someone who's never set foot out of town for more than five minutes hardly has anything to compare it to so can often have grown tired with the city. I lived in Limerick for four years during college and know which place I'd prefer to call home. Same goes for living in Carrick but at least that was only four months, not years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cli6656

just posted my first thread yesterday and already lots of great advice, think i'll hit the next beer night out, :p

Thanks for all the help, move is on, later this week, had a nice visit this w.end n found somewhere to live (i think), how do people view areas like the quays,and park road?

getting excited now :D

Thanks for all the help, move is on, later this week, had a nice visit this w.end n found somewhere to live (i think), how do people view areas like the quays,and park road?

woo welcome to blaa land. Quay and park road are alright. Rather a housing estate meself to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

depends which end of the quay imo.... the end by the bridge is nearly like a getto at this stage lol although there has been work lately in improving it with new shops etc now there.
    The end by the the tower hotel/ park road is nice, reginalds tower and the small marina there are well worth a look also not too far from the pubs and niteclubs but far enough not to be associated with them if ya no what i mean.

The park road is a nice area, theres a few nice resteurants pubs and cafes there with the tuk tuk thai springing to mind, also the small cafe in the park is supposed to be lovely, also your right next to the park which has been cleaned up a lot in recent years and now is a very pleasant place to go for a stroll. Its also only a 4 or 5 minute walk from the centre of town which is handy, the only downside i see to it is traffic, especially in the mornings and afternoons with the 3 schools in the area.

Anyway Welcome to waterford!!!! good luck with the move!! your going to love it!
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Clano wrote: »

Anyway Welcome to waterford!!!! good luck with the move!! your going to love it!

Thanks, traffic is grand really, im used to hellish commutes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

Thanks, traffic is grand really, im used to hellish commutes ;)
    Nice one your sorted so!! The traffic was never too bad really at most it would only add 5 minutes onto your journey anyway:)

seanybiker wrote: »
    Rather a housing estate meself to be honest.

thanks, i just want quiet neighbours so fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Clano wrote: »
    depends which end of the quay imo.... the end by the bridge is nearly like a getto at this stage lol although there has been work lately in improving it with new shops etc now there.
    The end by the the tower hotel/ park road is nice, reginalds tower and the small marina there are well worth a look also not too far from the pubs and niteclubs but far enough not to be associated with them if ya no what i mean.

The park road is a nice area, theres a few nice resteurants pubs and cafes there with the tuk tuk thai springing to mind, also the small cafe in the park is supposed to be lovely, also your right next to the park which has been cleaned up a lot in recent years and now is a very pleasant place to go for a stroll. Its also only a 4 or 5 minute walk from the centre of town which is handy, the only downside i see to it is traffic, especially in the mornings and afternoons with the 3 schools in the area.

keep away from those areas lived there for a bit meself,tis not a great spot tbh.better off living outside the town town if ya know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

seanybiker wrote: »
    omg. A blaa is the nicest thing you will ever have. Ask your student friends what they thought of blaas. Lovely floury baps(kinda). They rule. You should move here for the blaas alone :)

Put a bit of sausage and puddin in that blaa for the best breakfast roll you ever had...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Great to hear clonna. Where are you considering living? Like Clano said, there are pretty big differences within a small distance.

The Park Road is nice though. There's a lot of improvement work being done on The Mall which is right by there. The Park itself had a huge overhaul a few years ago and is much the better for it. If you're going to be working in town, nowhere's much more than a 10 minute walk really.

well iv put a deposit down now so its all go, will be moving on friday, starting work on monday.
    ((ugh wouldnt it be lovely if someone would do all the packing and moving for you! :rolleyes:))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Tiddlers wrote: »

I'm living in Waterford around 3 years having been away for 10 years in various places. I had the same view when I came back, that Waterford is a fantastic place with so much to offer, with so many interesting buildings, laneways, etc., and a very good quality of life. But I have to say, living here is a different matter. The Waterfordians who never left Waterford are among the most miserable people in the world imho. They can be very negative about everything, and look down on the city like it's the worst place in the world. People are extremely cynical, pessimistic and self-deprecating about themselves and the city. It's 100% attitude and 0% fact, except that the attitude doesn't help.

It reached a new low watermark for me recently when my co-workers in a well known Waterford-based IT outfit were embarassed to invite people to Waterford for the kick off of a large international project piloted by us, which would/will be a great showcase for the city. There was talk of inviting people to Cork or Dublin or even London instead. The view is that Waterford is an ugly run-down sort of place that is hard to get to with no hotels, no architecture, no amenities, etc. The sense of embarassment about the city is palpable. When I mention the things that I know tourists would love about the city, people sneer and scoff and make disparaging comments. Having been away for many years, I have more of an objective sense of the pros and cons of the city and what there is on offer for tourists. I brought a group of 6/7 over a few months ago and they loved it. We went to Bodega and Geoffs the first night and Harlequin and Downses the second night for a change of pace. If we'd had the time, the Museum of Treasures and Jack Burtchells tour of the city walls have both won awards. Waterford crystal will be back in the centre of town soon. We have, for example, probably the greatest concentration of class Italian restaurants in a 5 minute walk in Ireland, with Harlequins, La Toscana, La Fontana, Emellianos, etc. but people will just kind of blink at you as if you're smoking something funny if you point it out. (Plus many won't have heard of any of them, and yet complain incessantly about how bad Waterford is for restaurants.)

So in summary, Waterford has plenty to offer, but the complete inability of Waterford people to see what is there is actually frightening. Waterford people are reluctant to bring business colleagues to the city and feel that they have to constantly apologise for everything when they do. I really feel that the only thing that is holding Waterford back is Waterford people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

Lived there for 2 years .I loved my house before i sold it but the City center is a dump .Compared to Dublin its like going back in time at least 50 years .

By the way i hope your flat has internet as otherwise there are only around 3 internet cafs in the whole city and they charge about 4 euro an hour .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

merlante wrote: »
    So in summary, Waterford has plenty to offer, but the complete inability of Waterford people to see what is there is actually frightening. Waterford people are reluctant to bring business colleagues to the city and feel that they have to constantly apologise for everything when they do. I really feel that the only thing that is holding Waterford back is Waterford people.

I work in Kilkenny, and nobody is ashamed to bring business colleagues there. Waterford may not be quite so cutesy, but it's still a very nice city, and in terms of eating options, we have some of the best in the country. Who wouldn't want to bring customers to La Boheme for example?

I've heard people talking about how they'd be ashamed to bring visitors to Waterford because of the most spurious reasons. Dogsh1t for example - have they not been to Paris? Graffitti - have they not been to Rome? A few dodgy youngfellas hanging around - as if the same wasn't true in Dublin or Cork! Derelict buildings - what city doesn't have those?

I wonder if something needs to be done to instill a bit of pride back into Waterford people about their city. It's in short enough supply!

Advertisement