Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current cold snap indicator of very hot summer?

Options
  • 20-02-2010 4:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

My grand father believes the cold winter we have experienced will make way for a very hot dry summer. Is there any proof that weather in winter determins weather in summer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

paky wrote: »
    My grand father believes the cold winter we have experienced will make way for a very hot dry summer. Is there any proof that weather in winter determins weather in summer?

No proof whatsoever.

This summer will most likely be cool and wet with the winter to follow even colder than the winter we have just experienced. We have been spoiled over the past number of years with mild winters.

Snowy and icy winters are back for good in Ireland :D

Derek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

derekon wrote: »
    No proof whatsoever.

This summer will most likely be cool and wet with the winter to follow even colder than the winter we have just experienced. We have been spoiled over the past number of years with mild winters.

Snowy and icy winters are back for good in Ireland :D

Derek

What makes you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

What makes you think that?

Me Granny Murphy told me :D

Derek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another useless thread....:(

Its not a cold snap either its a cold winter full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

mike65 wrote: »
    Another useless thread....:(

Its not a cold snap either its a cold winter full stop.
    An expensive winter thats costing me a bomb in oil. Id take a hurricane or monsoon over this. Even blizzards in the US. Snowy winters in ireland stink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I think it is a nice idea, and possibly one that holds some weight with those that have a lot of experience of the past climate in Ireland. Personally, I am unsure but on this one I am keeping an open mind. I do remember Evelyn Cusack saying one time on the telly that nature has a way of balancing itself out in the long term, and she is correct in this.

For example, the exceptionally wet November was followed by an exceptionally dry winter. I'd not be surprised if, when averaged out, the late summer and late autumn rainfall totals, when averaged against the exceptionally dry winter, will work out no more than average for the period in question.

Personally, I am hoping for very warm to hot summer. I am not a fan of incessant sunshine either, don't get me wrong, but there was something particularly foul about last summer. It was cool by day and warm by night (after the small heatwave in early June). No real heat was absorbed into the soil and ground which just kept it mank and cool throughout. I recorded 186mm + in August alone. Again, I don't mind the rain, but it was cold rain all the time. A few hot weeks I will welcome though, just to make the next winter more pleasurable and contrasting, and giving a sense of season change. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Maybe , remember 1995 there was a cold winter with big snowfall, and then we got a hot summer! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Joe Bastardi is giving a decent summer for what it is worth, his winter forecast was spot on.

Advertisement