Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reference letters??

Options
  • 20-02-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

I graduated in 2007 and am now thinking about doing a masters this fall. which means i need to start applying asap. I'm not even sure what i want and so plan to apply for a bunch of different courses.
    [gender studies in trinity, librarianship at UCD, something in scotland since it's free... toronto even though deadlines are up...]

Anyway, I need two reference letters, but don't know who to ask. I think only one is supposed to be academic, but i can't think of a non-academic reference, so both mine probably will be. Can't ask my thesis supervisor, because we fell out early on when i didn't have a draft ready and she refused to look at any more of my work. [i got an A without her anyway so pfft]

I liked my other lecturers and plan to ask them, but am afraid they won't remember me because even though i always showed up and got good grades i was never exactly buddy buddy with any of them. Anyway, I'm just a bit confused about how to word a request for a reference letter? Should it be formal? Do i need to remind them of my grades, or can i be all "you probably don't remember me, but..." ?
    Do they email it to me so i can print out as many as I like, or do they need to be handsigned and posted to me, in which case I need to ask for numerous copies?

I feel like i missed a whole module on "the practicalities of applying for a masters"!
    Thanks for any tips [or templates! ha]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

Well 2007 isn't that long ago so chances are they would remember you. You have nothing to lose by asking them. I certinaly wasn't formal asking my referees but I know them quite well.

You don't get a copy of the reference, it's confidential. They will either send it directly to the place you're applying or else give you a sealed copy, signed across the envelope.

I've asked for numerous copies (6!), and they don't seem to mind as they just send pretty much the same reference off each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Ask well in advance, if possible.

If it's been a while (though 2007 is not that long ago), a quick reminder of who you are, which class it was, etc is a good idea. I know some people send on a CV along with an initial request - can be useful.

The policy for what to do with references varies, though many things applied for through PAC involve having a signed and sealed copy to post to Galway.

Re: references, it's usually fine to have two academic, though does depend on the programme (e.g. something like librarianship may require practical/work reference as well as academic), but more often have seen 'a professional reference may suffice' in lieu of a second academic reference than I have seen professional references asked for specifically. (NB this in arts/humanities area.)

Explain that you're applying to x number of programmes and check out what the situation is for each, so you know how many copies you need and any particularities for each one. For the TCD one, it's a reference form that you need to sign and pass on to the referee, and then (I love this phrasing) 'recover' it when it's done and sealed.

And good luck!

(My own theory is that the application process is the real test of whether you're deemed fit for a masters, or not... ) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd agree with what claire h has posted.

Asking in advance is always a good idea, that way the lecturer in question can look up your records in the department office or take a quick look at a copy of work which you may have submitted to them.

Sending a CV is also a good idea as it may refresh their recollections of you. In it you should list out the courses you took and the grades you received, along with your overall results - ie - your GPA or 2.1, 2.2 result.

It would also be helpful if you sent details of the courses to which your applying and also why you wish to pursue those courses. As well as giving the lecturer some insight into what focus to take in the reference, you're also showing that you're well organised, focused, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

It might also be a good idea to phone them up and ask them what they want.
    One of mine wanted more details about the course and even my research proposal and then apparently worded the reference specific for this course (at least that what I gathered from various comments). This way you can give him exactly what he wants and you done waste time if he wants some more information from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

If the OP is applying for a load of courses (varying quite a bit too, it seems), then won't she/he need a separate reference tailored to each one, or will the lecturers instead just whack out some boilerplate and send it along?

In my own case, a generic reference won't be enough - I need a very specific letter (for reasons I needn't bother going into here).

edit: and OP, I don't think anything is free for postgrads. Not in Scotland anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If the OP is applying for a load of courses (varying quite a bit too, it seems), then won't she/he need a separate reference tailored to each one, or will the lecturers instead just whack out some boilerplate and send it along?

In my own case, a generic reference won't be enough - I need a very specific letter (for reasons I needn't bother going into here).

edit: and OP, I don't think anything is free for postgrads. Not in Scotland anyway.

It would look much better if the reference was focused towards the specific course for which a student is replying. Referees will tend to write a reference specific to the course for which the student is applying rather than simply drawing up a 'generic' reference, hence the reason why they want to know what you're applying for and why a student should always supply the referee with details of the course for which they are applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

OP here,
    i've since emailed a few lecturers and they all remembered me well and said they'd be happy to write a reference letter so i was worrying about nothing really. received one already, and it's not incredibly specific, but i'm happy with it. i am applying to a few different courses including gender studies and librarianship.

monkeyballs, i know a couple of people doing their masters in scotland because there are no tuition fees. i haven't looked up the details myself, but they were pretty upfront about the fact they went there for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

monkeyballs, i know a couple of people doing their masters in scotland because there are no tuition fees. i haven't looked up the details myself, but they were pretty upfront about the fact they went there for this reason.

Are you absolutely certain it was their masters and not an undergrad degree?
    Or maybe their tuition fees had been paid for by a scholarship at the Scottish uni?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spartacus1052

As a current post grad student in a Scottish Uni, I can tell you that you do pay tuition fees for MA level courses, I dont know about undergrad, but anything over that you do pay!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

one friend i have did her undergrad with me in ireland, but is currently doing her masters in librarianship at aberdeen, and not paying fees. another friend is doing primary teaching postgrad dip, said she wasnt paying fees either and that's why she did it there as opposed to here, not sure which college she is at.
    when i heard this i was shocked and mentioned it to another friend, and he was like "yeah, you dont have to pay fees in scotland" as if it were common knowledge.
    so yeah i dunno, like i said i havnt looked up the details yet myself, and maybe it only applies to certain kinds of masters and not others, but that's the case for those two friends anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Sorry to bump this thread; do you give 'thank you' cards/gifts in appreciation?

Advertisement