Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Representatives in the Dáil - Present and Future

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Re-opened with no changes.

Please be careful what you say folks.

Thanks.

Topic re-opened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Looks like Martin Cullen has resigned from the Dail and from his position as Minister.

Regards..jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

jmcc wrote: »
    Looks like Martin Cullen has resigned from the Dail and from his position as Minister.

Regards..jmcc
    Good news at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I thought that Mark Rowe was involved with Labour! Am I totally wrong? (as usual)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

mike65 wrote: »
    Who would run for the second seat? Who would loose to a 2nd Labour seat? FF? I doubt it, nothing short of a political earthquke will stop 2 FFers returning. We are not Dublin SE where crazy things happen quite often. Waterford is one of the most boring constituencies in the state.

That is why Dublin SE nearly always has a minister ( sometimes 2 , Andrews and Gormley ATM) Waterford rarely does.
    We will happily kick out sitting ministers ( Mcdowell in the last election, Gormley in the next). Nothing crazy about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Sully wrote: »
    Re-opened with no changes.

Please be careful what you say folks.

Thanks.

Topic re-opened

Good to see that sanity prevails. Those complaining about my comments might prefer to live in another country, like say Iran, where the `wrong' sort of people might have their heads cut off for expressing the `wrong' opinions. Luckily you can still speak your mind in this country.

As for agendas, there are obviously a few fans of Dr. Rowe on here. But, just because people express a different view of him, doesn't necessarily mean that they have some nefarious agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 deisebob1

I would say Rowe will run as an independent or under the banner FUSE (Friends for Univesity of the South East). However as I said in a post on a different thread id put my money on the FG candidate (Coffey or Cummins) or Halligan (if he joins Labour).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

deisebob1 wrote: »
    I would say Rowe will run as an independent or under the banner FUSE (Friends for Univesity of the South East). However as I said in a post on a different thread id put my money on the FG candidate (Coffey or Cummins) or Halligan (if he joins Labour).

taken from another thread from which I contributed -

In the event of a general election it will be the following:
    1 FF
    2 FG (Deasy and Coffey)
    1 Lab (all depends on who they run)

Halligan is a shoe in but only if he joins Labour.

I pretty much agree with you there deisebob. Waterford is pretty much predictable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

deisebob1 wrote: »

If Halligan goes and he thinks he is going to get in he will have to put together one huge vote from the city and its surrounds because the more west he goes out of the city he will be getting less and less votes, none in many places i would suspect. Why might this be? Every time he goes on the radio this morning included he speaks of Waterford as only been the city. This is not good enough if he wants to be in Dublin. He has to see Waterford as a whole. To be fair to the three sitting TD's we have, I have never heard them seperate the city and the county as much as Halligan does.

As for joining labour, if he does it shows one thing about him. When he was in the Workers Party he did not want to know about pacts. Then he left them for whatever reason, I suspect it was that he had a feeling he would do well in the 2009 local elections and by joining a pact he would become mayor for one of the five years, something that we all know now has happened. I know he would not be the first turncoat polition in the state or even indeed in Waterford but it would say alot for him in my view. In saying that I suspect he might still have a grá for the Workers Party and we all know that there with splits and amalgumations in the last 20 years, (during De Rossa's time) that they are all the one party in most places.

Another question that someone might be able to answer aren't the Workers Party a split from Sinn Féin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 amzyxx

I dont care who they replace him with....as long its nothing to do with fianna fail or the greens by the looks of it...

• Advertisement

amzyxx wrote: »
    I dont care who they replace him with....as long its nothing to do with fianna fail or the greens by the looks of it...
    Hear Hear. All you have to do is look at Fahy and the corruption he is involved in will tell you all about FF and greens are supporting them. Time for change. Cullen was useless and anything better than him will be a bonus.

The Greens are hardly cut from the same cloth in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

Deise Tom wrote: »
    If Halligan goes and he thinks he is going to get in he will have to put together one huge vote from the city and its surrounds because the more west he goes out of the city he will be getting less and less votes, none in many places i would suspect. Why might this be? Every time he goes on the radio this morning included he speaks of Waterford as only been the city. This is not good enough if he wants to be in Dublin. He has to see Waterford as a whole. To be fair to the three sitting TD's we have, I have never heard them seperate the city and the county as much as Halligan does.

As for joining labour, if he does it shows one thing about him. When he was in the Workers Party he did not want to know about pacts. Then he left them for whatever reason, I suspect it was that he had a feeling he would do well in the 2009 local elections and by joining a pact he would become mayor for one of the five years, something that we all know now has happened. I know he would not be the first turncoat polition in the state or even indeed in Waterford but it would say alot for him in my view. In saying that I suspect he might still have a grá for the Workers Party and we all know that there with splits and amalgumations in the last 20 years, (during De Rossa's time) that they are all the one party in most places.

Another question that someone might be able to answer aren't the Workers Party a split from Sinn Féin.
    yes the wp are a split from sinn fein.at one time the party was called sinn fein the workers party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

To be fair to the three sitting TD's we have, I have never heard them seperate the city and the county as much as Halligan does.

SO you never heard John Deasey complain openly in the media that "All the jobs we're going to Waterford City" and none to the county

That to me smacks of seperation and one reason whjy I will never vote for him. He should have been complaing that all the jobs we're going to Cork

It could be interesting if we had a general election tomorrow. Cullen's vote would be spread far and wide, given that it was largely a minister's vote. Kenneally will surely get killed but some body has to get elected. If Rowe were to run for FF with an endorsement from Cullen and others, then Kenneally could easily lose out. The only reason the latter was elected was because Wilkinson was even more of an embarassment. Will O'Shea run again, and if not what other lefties might we be left with? Halligan seems likely since most of that vote is probably in the Waterford/Tramore area anyway, which is where nearly 70% of the population is.

How about this for an interesting quartet:
    Deasy
    Coffee
    Rowe
    Halligan

in that order? :)

merlante wrote: »
    It could be interesting if we had a general election tomorrow. Cullen's vote would be spread far and wide, given that it was largely a minister's vote. Kenneally will surely get killed but some body has to get elected. If Rowe were to run for FF with an endorsement from Cullen and others, then Kenneally could easily lose out. The only reason the latter was elected was because Wilkinson was even more of an embarassment. Will O'Shea run again, and if not what other lefties might we be left with? Halligan seems likely since most of that vote is probably in the Waterford/Tramore area anyway, which is where nearly 70% of the population is.

How about this for an interesting quartet:
    Deasy
    Coffee
    Rowe
    Halligan

in that order? :)
    Kenneally is seen for what he is and that is nothing. No input and silent between elections. Time to forget him as a non performer. O Shea is a good worker but he is 65 this year and time to bow out. Wilkinson is past it in fairness and not a good performer either.
    I would run with that but the order would be different.
    1. Deasy Seasoned campaigner with popular support
    2.Halligan Extremely hard worker and big city vote who will capture Labour WP and SF votes if Cullunane does not run.
    3.Coffey . Not tested yet but collect enough FG votes and No2's.
    4.Rowe. Not popular in all quarters and that is only from people who know about him.

Bards wrote: »
    SO you never heard John Deasey complain openly in the media that "All the jobs we're going to Waterford City" and none to the county

That to me smacks of seperation and one reason whjy I will never vote for him. He should have been complaing that all the jobs we're going to Cork

I have no intentions in voting for John Deasy either, but might if he was party leader as he might be able to swing a few things to Waterford if he was Taoiseach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

quit telling lies Bards! (and it is a lie!). John Deasy criticised the IDA for not giving the west of the county a fair crack of the whip in relation to site visits!

There's a hell of a difference between what he said and what you're implying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no intentions in voting for John Deasy either, but might if he was party leader as he might be able to swing a few things to Waterford if he was Taoiseach.

you'd rather vote for clowns like Kenneally and Wilkinson!!

quit telling lies Bards! (and it is a lie!). John Deasy criticised the IDA for not giving the west of the county a fair crack of the whip in relation to site visits!

There's a hell of a difference between what he said and what you're implying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not lies, I distinctly remember him saying that. Why he couldn't compare Dungarvan with Clonmel or Nenagh or Kilkenny or anywhere else, as opposed to Waterford city, which in fairness is a much higher strategic priority for jobs in the region than Dungarvan. Particularly since Waterford has been very poorly served by the IDA compared with the other cities. Comparing it to Dungarvan just makes Waterford and his argument look ridiculous.

• Advertisement

this quote is priceless from that article

"He had nothing to say to allay my fears that Waterford is just not getting the attention it needs”, he said. “We have become the poor relation since the regional headquarters moved to Cork”.

erm wasn't it a FG minister from Wexford who moved it there in the first place:rolleyes:

this quote is priceless from that article

"He had nothing to say to allay my fears that Waterford is just not getting the attention it needs”, he said. “We have become the poor relation since the regional headquarters moved to Cork”.

erm wasn't it a FG minister from Wexford who moved it there in the first place:rolleyes:

How long are Waterford and COrk in the same Region. Waterford is in the South-East, Cork is in the South.

How long are Waterford and COrk in the same Region. Waterford is in the South-East, Cork is in the South.

That's the whole point - The Wexford Minister moved the South East Director of the IDA to Cork in the hope Wexford would get more jobs

Net Result was that the whole of the South East lost out to Cork as they had both the South and South East Directors located in "their" City and any prospective clients were only shown Cork locations

That's the whole point - The Wexford Minister moved the South East Director of the IDA to Cork in the hope Wexford would get more jobs

Net Result was that the whole of the South East lost out to Cork as they had both the South and South East Directors located in "their" City and any prospective clients were only shown Cork locations

I wonder would that mean after the next general election are we going to go back to the days when the ministers in charge of the various departments dont know the eight boundary regions in Ireland. If we are They might just bring everything to Dublin or maybe Enda might send everything to Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I want to ask a bit of a mad question [pub debate:D] but I would like to know the answer ..if anyone can answer it

Just say that 99 percentage of the voters decided that none of the candidates where worth voting for and a mass boycott was organised so on election day only a few hundred votes where cast [just candidates families and friends]. Would the candidate with the most votes from these few votes still be elected or could/would the election be void ,
    Is there a figure that has to reach, by law , to make an election valid or is always just a winning percentage of votes cast no matter how small the turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    I want to ask a bit of a mad question [pub debate:D] but I would like to know the answer ..if anyone can answer it

Just say that 99 percentage of the voters decided that none of the candidates where worth voting for and a mass boycott was organised so on election day only a few hundred votes where cast [just candidates families and friends]. Would the candidate with the most votes from these few votes still be elected or could/would the election be void ,
    Is there a figure that has to reach, by law , to make an election valid or is always just a winning percentage of votes cast no matter how small the turn out.

There is no quorum of the electorate required for a valid poll so a 1% turnout would still be a valid election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

ROCKMAN wrote: »

That would be interesting but I think they have quotas to reach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sadly there is no threshold so it wouldn't work.

Advertisement