Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail to SMS alert for free (Meteor)

Options
  • 20-02-2010 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Some of you probably know this already but I just figured out how to get a txt alert when an important email arrives and thought I'd share it with you. Might useful to someone else here too!

1. Log into mymeteor.ie and sign up for webmail on the left.
    2. Log into Meteor's webmail.
    3. Go to Settings > Preferences > Webmail and under "Send copies of all mail to:" enter your mobile number @sms.mymeteor.ie (085*******@sms.mymeteor.ie).
    4. Now go into Gmail and go to Settings > Filters > "Create a new filter" (bottom of page). Enter filter criteria so it catches the type of email you want to be alerted about.
    5. Once you've a working filter, hit next and select "Forward it to": and enter your Meteor webmail account (*****@mymeteor.ie) .
    6. Bob's your uncle, emails now caught by the filter will forward a copy to your meteor webmail, which will forward a text copy to your mobile for free.
    You might think just forward it direct to @sms.mymeteor.ie but that only works from certain domains and it wouldn't work for me from Gmail... by forwarding from Meteor's own webmail it always works.

Might be of use to some of you! ;) People on other networks might be able to do the same, so post those instructions too if you have them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

o2 offer a service but it costs 11c for each text they send you.

The other networks dont have one if i remember correctly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Another option for alerts is use an Android phone, like HTC Hero or Tattoo. These give alerts for gmail emails and calander events, these alerts are straight to you phone and are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Is there anyway to get sms alerts if your on vodafone? Was just looking into this today.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Hi Foto Joe - Went through all the steps that you posted but didn't create a filter just selected the option to forward all my email from my Gmail account but it didn't work - wonder does the filter have something to do with it - btw - its a great idea if I could get it to work!!! Cheers Kilsmum;);););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

kilsmum wrote: »
    Hi Foto Joe - Went through all the steps that you posted but didn't create a filter just selected the option to forward all my email from my Gmail account but it didn't work - wonder does the filter have something to do with it - btw - its a great idea if I could get it to work!!! Cheers Kilsmum;);););)

Try just send your meteor webmail account as a test... (xxx@mymeteor.ie) . You should get a txt. And check if that arrives in your webmail if you don't.

• Advertisement

Just wondering is there anyway I can get emails sent to my phone as a text message or even an alert to tell me i have an email as Ill be away the next two days and could potentially miss a very important email.

All I need is an alert or something sent to my phone in the form as a text.

My phone is a nokia n70 prepay.

joe123 wrote: »
    Just wondering is there anyway I can get emails sent to my phone as a text message or even an alert to tell me i have an email as Ill be away the next two days and could potentially miss a very important email.

All I need is an alert or something sent to my phone in the form as a text.

My phone is a nokia n70 prepay.

Ehhh... isn't that what the thread is about?! Well, it is if you're on Meteor? The phone doesn't matter.

The method outlined in the first email will send you a text with the sender's email address, subject and the start of the email...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

I use Nokia Messaging to forward all my emails from my hotmail address to my phone. I get an alert just like a text message everytime an email is received. You could also try Mail For Exchange aswell, pretty much the same thing. All free aswell.

foto joe wrote: »
    Ehhh... isn't that what the thread is about?! Well, it is if you're on Meteor? The phone doesn't matter.

The method outlined in the first email will send you a text with the sender's email address, subject and the start of the email...

Im vodafone.

Whats this nokia messaging thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

https://netac97.vie.hosting.nokia.com/account/home.action

Not sure if it's available for your phone though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

Great post I came across from earlier this year.
    I've been trying it out to forward an alarm activation email to my meteor mobile. The forward works fine either through google or directly to the @mymeteor.ie email. The only problem in both cases is the body of the email is missing and I'm only sending a few words.
    What I get is

SMSMail: sender's email: (Subject )
    The attached message is an automatically
    generated copy of mail delivered to xxxx@mymeteor.ie

Why can't I get the simple body after the subject?

Thanks,

foto joe wrote: »
    Hey,

Some of you probably know this already but I just figured out how to get a txt alert when an important email arrives and thought I'd share it with you. Might useful to someone else here too!

1. Log into mymeteor.ie and sign up for webmail on the left.
    2. Log into Meteor's webmail.
    3. Go to Settings > Preferences > Webmail and under "Send copies of all mail to:" enter your mobile number @sms.mymeteor.ie (085*******@sms.mymeteor.ie).
    4. Now go into Gmail and go to Settings > Filters > "Create a new filter" (bottom of page). Enter filter criteria so it catches the type of email you want to be alerted about.
    5. Once you've a working filter, hit next and select "Forward it to": and enter your Meteor webmail account (*****@mymeteor.ie) .
    6. Bob's your uncle, emails now caught by the filter will forward a copy to your meteor webmail, which will forward a text copy to your mobile for free.
    You might think just forward it direct to @sms.mymeteor.ie but that only works from certain domains and it wouldn't work for me from Gmail... by forwarding from Meteor's own webmail it always works.

Might be of use to some of you! ;) People on other networks might be able to do the same, so post those instructions too if you have them.

Yeah it's still limited to the space of a txt message. If the email is a very short plain text email, you should get that ok. If it's a html email or anything but basic, they message limit will be hit before any useful email content gets to you.

So only really usefull as a notification with subject and sender... you'll know then to check your gmail normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

I even tried forwarding a canned response from Google containing 5 words and it still didn't come through. Maybe google and mymeteor always convert to html.
    The sms contains "Device Alert!" from the subject so i know where it has come from and can take action.

This is a very handy facility because my alarm service charge for direct notification sms messages from their system but emails are free.

I hope that mymeteor have strong spam filters.

Thanks again.

Advertisement