Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Star Academies

Options
  • 20-02-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

Im scouting for the offsite for 16 yr olds with the potential to be an U/20 next season for the national team. If anyone here has a 10 star academy or will have one before seasons end, can you please post your club name here. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

bogwarriors
    no worthwhile 16 year olds at the moment though.
    Magee is a born second row but discipline not good enough for u21 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

i wouldnt worry bout the discipline, it'll be up to the U20 manager to decide but he has the height and weight. just had quick look at your last match and Magee got a tick while playing at 13!! maybe he'll be a giant back there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Have a ten star academy for a little while now, nothing worthwhile as of yet. will post on offsite if anything comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

i will have a 10 star in the next week or two

my (16yo) hooker looks like he might be useful whenever I promote him next year

xavier hayes

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/club.squad.youth.php#player=4842601

hes getting 2.5 stars in games
    team name Front Row Fairies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

daheff wrote: »
    i will have a 10 star in the next week or two

my (16yo) hooker looks like he might be useful whenever I promote him next year

xavier hayes

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/club.squad.youth.php#player=4842601

hes getting 2.5 stars in games
    team name Front Row Fairies

He is a bit light for hooker daheff. At only 106kgs, he won't make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

jprender wrote: »

This is something I have always wondered about! All of us here disregard front row players if they are less than 120/125 weight area, but in real life very few props reach this level. Look at some quality props and their weights:

Castro: 119kg
    Botha: 116kg
    CJ Van der Linde: 122kg
    The beast (tendai mtawarira): 116kg

All four regarded as big solid props who are decent players, but only CJ breaks 120kg... just a thought as there are many props playing rugby at international level lighter than the above.

So why do we disregard them? is it born purely of the match engine and how it compares packs in contact etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

should i move him to the back row then? or is he too small for that?

eoferrall wrote: »
    This is something I have always wondered about! All of us here disregard front row players if they are less than 120/125 weight area, but in real life very few props reach this level. Look at some quality props and their weights:

Castro: 119kg
    Botha: 116kg
    CJ Van der Linde: 122kg
    The beast (tendai mtawarira): 116kg

All four regarded as big solid props who are decent players, but only CJ breaks 120kg... just a thought as there are many props playing rugby at international level lighter than the above.

So why do we disregard them? is it born purely of the match engine and how it compares packs in contact etc?

Valid points.

However, in this game, additional weight receives a bonus.

At the BR international level, it is really 130kgs that is sought after for the front row.

My current hooker trainee is 127kgs and is considered on the light side.

I have a great batch of 16 year olds in my YA at the moment johnnysmack.

9 of them in total and all getting decent star ratings. Their untrainables aren't too bad either.

Ethan MacHugh (2 stars at wing)
    16 years old | 182 cm | 87 kg | Ireland
    Right handed, right footed, in reputable form, and supercharged energy levels.
    An aggressive player with controlled discipline, limited leadership, and non-existent experience.

Gordy Devereux (2 stars at flanker)
    16 years old | 187 cm | 93 kg | Ireland
    Right handed, right footed, in horrible form, and perfect energy levels.
    A conservative player with controlled discipline, decent leadership, and non-existent experience.

Jack Shaughnessy (3 stars at flanker and wing)
    16 years old | 182 cm | 108 kg | Ireland
    Right handed, right footed, in decent form, and perfect energy levels.
    A collected player with collected discipline, moderate leadership, and non-existent experience.

Colm O'Cahan (2 stars at prop)
    16 years old | 178 cm | 127 kg | Ireland
    Right handed, right footed, in satisfactory form, and perfect energy levels.
    An aggressive player with controlled discipline, horrible leadership, and despicable experience.

Benjamin Brian (2.5 stars at flyhalf)
    16 years old | 175 cm | 83 kg | Ireland
    Right handed, right footed, in average form, and perfect energy levels.
    A collected player with controlled discipline, reputable leadership, and non-existent experience.

Eoin Downey (2 stars at number 8)
    16 years old | 183 cm | 110 kg | Ireland
    A collected player with controlled discipline, decent leadership, and non-existent experience.

Martin O'Hannon (2 stars at wing)
    16 years old | 182 cm | 82 kg | Ireland
    Right handed, right footed, in decent form, and pumped energy levels.
    A psychotic player with reckless discipline, limited leadership, and non-existent experience.

Cameron Rafferty (2 stars at flanker)
    16 years old | 195 cm | 118 kg | Ireland
    Right handed, right footed, in satisfactory form, and energised energy levels.
    An aggressive player with collected discipline, decent leadership, and non-existent experience.

Colin Short (3 stars at centre)
    16 years old | 185 cm | 98 kg | Ireland
    A collected player with collected discipline, satisfactory leadership, and non-existent experience.

Hopefully, I should get a couple of decent pulls out of this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Valid points.

However, in this game, additional weight receives a bonus.

At the BR international level, it is really 130kgs that is sought after for the front row.

My current hooker trainee is 127kgs and is considered on the light side.

Funny, isn't it. . . John Hayes one of the heaviest internationals is 125kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

My team The Rebels will have a 10star academy soon (9 at the moment). Nobody decent of to speak of at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

ajeffares wrote: »
    John Hayes one of the heaviest internationals is 125kg

Yeah and Tony Buckley is 135kg :p

This is a bit premature but i'll have a 10 star academy at the end of next season :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

I have a 10 star now, if you want to take a look. Couple of 2 star performances so far, trying out different positions at the moment.

Advertisement