Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good find & quick question!

Options
  • 20-02-2010 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

So spent the day rolling around the west looking for a wedding dress with my bestfriend. Eventually found one...in a second hand shop in Galway, seriously amazing dress. The question is...would ye tell where ye bought it? I'm a real bargain Betty but my friend is afraid in case her future mother-in-law gets wind. What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So spent the day rolling around the west looking for a wedding dress with my bestfriend. Eventually found one...in a second hand shop in Galway, seriously amazing dress. The question is...would ye tell where ye bought it? I'm a real bargain Betty but my friend is afraid in case her future mother-in-law gets wind. What do ye think?
    The days of the ladeda culchie are gone, trying to pass yourself off as someone of high standards that looks down their nose at value is now frowned upon and the new culchie sheik is to be frugal and broke. Tell the mother in law she found it in a dumpster and all it cost her was the price of having the blood stains dry cleaned out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

In truth I want to scream it from the hilltops! We've saved a packet and it was never even worn, wedding called off. But...the m-i-l is a tad odd. I just wonder, would it not be seen as impolite to ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

but my friend is afraid in case her future mother-in-law gets wind.

Just hold her to your chest and tap her back lightly.

Any chance you'd make yourself available Mikom in a few short weeks to bring on baby gg with your humour?!

Just tell her you were inspired after watching 'My big fat gypsy wedding' on C4 during the week and you aren't sure whether to go with the second hand one or one from the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Any chance you'd make yourself available Mikom in a few short weeks to bring on baby gg with your humour?!

Mrs gaeilgegrinds, are you trying to seduce me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

How about bending the truth and calling
    it 'a vintage shop'? And/or google celebrity finds in
    2nd hand shops, say ye were inspired by (so and so's) treasue, so decided to do it for fun and lo and behold...
    Sometimes the celeb ref works as a distraction if the person is very
    concerned with 'what people think' !
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

inisboffin wrote: »
    How about bending the truth and calling
    it 'a vintage shop'? And/or google celebrity finds in
    2nd hand shops, say ye were inspired by (so and so's) treasue, so decided to do it for fun and lo and behold...
    Sometimes the celeb ref works as a distraction if the person is very
    concerned with 'what people think' !
    ;)

How about not mentioning it on boards & increasing the likelihood of people gabbing on about it in coffee shops & so on...?

How about not mentioning it on boards & increasing the likelihood of people gabbing on about it in coffee shops & so on...?

Ha! If only boards were that prolific! It is WAY more likely that one of the shop assistants will tell everyone the 'lovely wedding dress girl' story, than boardsies blabbing it in Elles! lol!

Ha! If only boards were that prolific! It is WAY more likely that one of the shop assistants will tell everyone the 'lovely wedding dress girl' story, than boardsies blabbing it in Elles! lol!

Well, I've told six old biddies already... & told each to spread the word... so that alone will have an impact.

• Advertisement

Well, I've told six old biddies already... & told each to spread the word... so that alone will have an impact.

Ha ha!

Sorry Mikom, already well & truly seduced and waddling to show it, if you could see me now you'd see the humour in the very suggestion I am in any fit state to seduce now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

In truth I want to scream it from the hilltops! We've saved a packet and it was never even worn, wedding called off. But...the m-i-l is a tad odd. I just wonder, would it not be seen as impolite to ask?

Jayney... your friend wouldn't want to be superstitious.

I think in that case I'd pretend I'd bought it new in a shop lest I'd find out that I had the jilted bride who it had first belonged to at my wedding.

Wouldn't fancy running into her while she was enjoying a glass of red wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Love the "it's vintage" idea. Which it is! it's just that you've cut out the middle man and about €1,000.

If someone is rude enough to ask you what price the dress was, just smile and say something along the lines of
    "well, I didn't expect to pay what I paid for it". <pause> <secret smile>
    "But to me it's worth every penny/cent". <simper>

Then leave.... :-)

Love the "it's vintage" idea. Which it is! it's just that you've cut out the middle man and about €1,000.

If someone is rude enough to ask you what price the dress was, just smile and say something along the lines of
    "well, I didn't expect to pay what I paid for it". <pause> <secret smile>
    "But to me it's worth every penny/cent". <simper>

Then leave.... :-)

I think any bride would look pretty stupid if she left her wedding...

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

One woman's loss is another's gain!

A little off topic but I once saw an ad on freecycle where someone was giving away an engagement ring!

chilly wrote: »
    Jayney... your friend wouldn't want to be superstitious.

I think in that case I'd pretend I'd bought it new in a shop lest I'd find out that I had the jilted bride who it had first belonged to at my wedding.

Wouldn't fancy running into her while she was enjoying a glass of red wine.

A 2nd hand dress does not necessarily come from a jilted bride! It's more common than before for women to resell. Also, believe it or not, some women buy two, as they may be trying to chang their weight up to the last min and want both options covered!
    Crazy but true!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A 2nd hand dress does not necessarily come from a jilted bride! It's more common than before for women to resell. Also, believe it or not, some women buy two, as they may be trying to chang their weight up to the last min and want both options covered!
    Crazy but true!

The OP said it came from a wedding that was called off.

Buying two is insanity!
    To be honest I would prefer buy a second hand one that I really like rather than spend a fortune on one that was new. I find spending an exorbitant amount of money on something you would only wear once to be plain vulgar.

Also vulgar , the "Trash the Dress" phenomenon where women pay loads to do messy photoshoots in the sea or under waterfalls in their wedding dresses to destroy them in the process. You might get some cool photos but it's just a bit gross to be throwing thousands of quid away like that.

Eg :

trashthedressIMG_0084.jpg
    Yes... that is coal.

Also :

OS_BeAn_TTD012.jpg

OP: Lots of Irish mammies would like to see their boys marrying a frugal woman who'll put having money in the bank above swanning around in the latest most expensive fashion. She won't have to worry about her being a gold digga'!

Sorry, missed the called off bit. Ah well, just smudge it with sage, sprinkle with holy water, whatever! The poor dress has waited long enough! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

"we found it in this darling litttle boutique in <<insert whatever side of Galway the person ain't from>>".

... ya don't have to say what sort of boutique it is!

• Advertisement

As for the calling off bit. I can think of 3 wedding dresses that have been sold on recently, one was used but sold on (she's not at all sentimental), second she left him for another fella who she later married but didn't want to use same dress and third the bride actually died, awful! We've gone with the vintage idea! Who knows what happened?!

Advertisement