Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banking question

Options
  • 20-02-2010 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Sup guys,

I was thinking about opening a new bank account but I don`t really know too much about the banks in ireland, are there any banks in ireland that stand out from the rest, or are they all the same?

I am going to be a student again come september and i was thinking about opening up a student account? I know there are a few students here, have you guys got a student accounts, if so, what benefits do you receive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

well avoid halifax/bank of scotland ireland since they closing down.

outside of that, all irish banks are gov guarenteed, many of the smaller ones are going to end up merged with each other and the two big ones will probably get nationalised eventually too.

really Its much of a muchness.

Ulster bank were giving new accounts €100 quid. no idea if thats still the case.

Student benefits? dont recall any....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ulster Bank seem to be the best. I'm with AIB and am too lazy to change over.

Stay away from the bank of shadaloo. Some dodgy dealings going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

how many bison dollars to the euro these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Student accounts are pretty much identical to the normal one you'd be getting afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Keep in mind that the gimmicks that go with student accounts are just that: Gimmicks. Banks go nuts trying to recruit students because they know that most people won't bother checking other banks' products once they feel settled in one (not to call him out, but Retr0gamer just proved that point). So definitely look beyond the gimmicks like the €100 or the free flights. They'll be used up quickly. Look at the long-term performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd go with Bank of Ireland if I was setting up a new account now. Definitely avoid Permanent TSB, they are annoying to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

I think am gonna go with ulster bank because i just read that they have recently switched all of their ****e lazer cards to visa debit cards, which is a very good card to have, its probably the best debit card in the world because you can use anywhere just like a credit card. Ive actually been after one for about 2 years but my bank in england doesn`t issue them, a lot of banks these days are in the middle of switching to visa debit cards, which is great, there is nothing worse than wanting to buy something and can`t buy it because you don`t have the right card.

I can`t wait to see the back of the irish lazer card, its the worst piece of **** ever, you know your card is bad when nobody outside of ireland has even heard of it lol.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Just a quick note lads, I'm going to leave this thread because Chunkis effectively doesn't know anyone else in Ireland, but that doesn't mean you can start threads about anything on the forum, because I just know someone will take it that way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

I kinda knew the thread was in the wrong place, but i didnt want a load of strangers telling a bunch of ****e.

I think we need to have our own site or something, where do the belfast lads post?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

They don't really post too much, but they post a little bit hear, and on shoryuken.com and neoempire. I also think they have their own forum but not sure how active it is.

http://www.dragonslayers.org.uk/forum/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Sorry for going a few hundred miles off topic here but
    chunkis wrote: »
    I kinda knew the thread was in the wrong place, but i didnt want a load of strangers telling a bunch of ****e.
    Well I imagine the people over at Banking are probably quite knowledgeable, fighting games isn't the only boards forum which know their stuff.
    I think we need to have our own site or something, where do the belfast lads post?
    And having boards is a good way for randomers to find us, because it's such a big platform, I don't think it would have been as successful on our own site. I certainly wouldn't have found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Our own site is something to think of much further down the line but I always pushed for the forums to be here on boards due to the sheer scale of this site and its unique position of one of the major websites of the entire country.

Anyway chunkis I get where your coming from but give boards some credit , its so useful as a tool to access knowledge and advice from Irish people involved in whatever area your looking for advice in. If you don't like/trust the advice nothing forces you to take it but honestly its always great to get some knowledge from those in the know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Shloer

I think having a dedicated site and forum is a good idea but it would also possibly detract from the fact we get a lot of new players thanks to the broad scope of people using boards and finding their way to the fighting games forum for indoctrination :) so it's 50/50 really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

While I think a dedicated site would be a good idea down the line, I can't see any reason to go outside Boards for forums. Not only is this site one of the biggest in Ireland, it's one of the biggest/busiest forums in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yep, agreed with Hmuya.

Advertisement