Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WM7

• 20-02-2010 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Haven't heard much about WM7 lately but just watching Sky News (of all things) there yesterday and there was some guy giving a sneak peek of WM7.

Didn't look too bad.
    Wonder what's happening with this OS.
    Is it too little too late.
    Or could they have something impressive in store to rival Android and the iphone.
    There was a HTC guy there saying they were still committed to both Google (Android) and WM so who knows.
    Anyone know what's happening with this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

mkennedy wrote: »
    Haven't heard much about WM7 lately but just watching Sky News (of all things) there yesterday and there was some guy giving a sneak peek of WM7.

Didn't look too bad.
    Wonder what's happening with this OS.
    Is it too little too late.
    Or could they have something impressive in store to rival Android and the iphone.
    There was a HTC guy there saying they were still committed to both Google (Android) and WM so who knows.
    Anyone know what's happening with this.

There's been a bit of discussion on that subject here.

I'm hoping that it proves successful when launched, but we won't see anything in stores until either the end of this year or the start of next. Either way, Microsoft will no doubt put as much money as is needed, just like they did with the Xbox, to make this OS successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Rsaeire wrote: »
    There's been a bit of discussion on that subject here.

I'm hoping that it proves successful when launched, but we won't see anything in stores until either the end of this year or the start of next. Either way, Microsoft will no doubt put as much money as is needed, just like they did with the Xbox, to make this OS successful.

Thanks for that.
    Sorry, i should've seen that thread- feel free to merge.
    Could be wrong but it seems there may not be much back-compatability with older versions of apps- FFS.
    Kinda building everything from scratch again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

mkennedy wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    Sorry, i should've seen that thread- feel free to merge.
    Could be wrong but it seems there may not be much back-compatability with older versions of apps- FFS.
    Kinda building everything from scratch again.

As far as I'm aware, there isn't going to be any backwards compatibility. While that is a huge disappointment, in the long-run it will be worthwhile. Windows Mobile was designed so long ago that it became antiquated as soon as multimedia rich applications became prevalent; a situation I doubt Microsoft envisioned occurring as soon as it did. Hopefully with the new base for Windows Phone 7, which appears to be substantially different to Windows Mobile, there won't require a complete re-write of the OS anytime soon.

Advertisement