Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand raised birds.

Options
  • 20-02-2010 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have been looking to buy a hand reared quaker of conure or other small parrot, but can not find a breeder in or near dublin. The only breeder I could find is in Antrim, and the only breeder advertising in dublin never answers emails. Does anyone now where I might find someone raising hand tame birds? I have been looking so long it is getting frustrating. Pet shops never have hand tame birds and I really want the bonding experience of getting one young.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A young bird like a budgie or tiel will bond wether hand reared or not if given the time, don't know much about quaker behaviour but I am guessing if just fledged and ready they will bond to a new owner as well.

Saying that the quality of birds in many pet shops and 'breeders' can be pretty poor. Don't know of any responsibley bred ones you might have to travel a bit but is worth it if you can get a healthy well rounded bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

You should try Ed Drew in Copsewood Aviaries, he's in Kilmacanogue, Co. Wicklow. We got a hand reared Quaker from him a couple of years back, amazing, brilliant, bonding, talking, interactive, almost human bird!

You cannot go wrong with a Quaker if you can get one. It would be only coming into breeding season now so if you get him (or someone else) early, they might know what birds will be having chicks in the next few months.

I don't know much about Conures.

I know it's frustrating waiting for a hand reared bird, but if you have your heart set on one, hold out and don't just buy any bird... I could not reccommend a Quaker more.

Also there is a list of breeders on this website: www.parrots.ie

They don't have Quaker breeders listed there, but you might be lucky and get in touch with someone who knows someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Why would you want to buy a bird & keep it in a cage?

Why would you want to buy a bird & keep it in a cage?

Point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Point?

It's disgusting & cruel. Birds were made to fly.

• Advertisement

I won't even begin to try to explain the reasoning and logic behind hand raising birds to you.... you wouldn't be able to handle it. Big words...

Advertisement