Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation and storage

• 20-02-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,617 ✭✭✭✭

Do I have to choose between putting in additional insulation into the attic, and using the attic for storage?

At the moment there is 100mm of insulation, and boards over a good bit of this for storage. Since the beams are only 100mm deep, if I want to put in more insulation I cannot have 'floor' boards. Is there any way round this, or do I have to insulate the inside of the roof. This would seem to be pointless unless I block the ventilation at the eaves, which does not seem like a good idea.

Or is there something I could put under the boarded area with better 'heat for depth' than fibreglass.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi
    You will have to put in 4x2 across the ceiling joists and then put your insulation in between the new timber, you can also insulate the attic by fixing sheeting to the rafters, by doing this you will not block the vents if done correct.

Cc

Advertisement