Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Pharma Researcher Admits To Faking Research Studies

• 20-02-2010 8:28pm
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭

Don't know how pricks like this can sleep at night.
    Dr. Scott S. Reuben, a former member of Pfizer Inc.’s speakers’ bureau accused last year of perpetrating one of the biggest research frauds in medical history, was charged today in a federal court in Boston with falsifying medical research studies.

Reuben, formerly chief of acute pain at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, Mass., faces up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
    U.S. Attorney Carmen M. Ortiz accused Reuben of accepting a $75,000 grant from Pfizer to research the effectiveness of pain medication Celebrex for a 2005 study in which no patients were actually enrolled. Prosecutors allege that Reuben made up the data, which he subsequently published in the medical journal "Anesthesia & Analgesia."

The data supported the conclusion that Celebrex was effective in helping post-operative patients who had received a particular type of knee surgery on the anterior cruciate ligament. "Anesthesia & Analgesia" later had to retract 10 papers written by Reuben, and medical experts at the time said at least 21 journal articles by the anesthesiologist appeared to be fabricated.

Reuben’s studies had been considered pioneering at the time they were published. His data had supported the use of two of Pfizer’s major products — Celebrex and Lyrica — in combination to treat certain types of post-operative pain.

Pfizer said it had supported five of Reuben’s research initiatives. Pfizer, which declined at the time to reveal how much it paid Reuben over the years to be part of its speakers’ bureau, said the company played no part in the fraud.

Last March, Reuben was dismissed from his position at Baystate Medical Center after an audit revealed he had been inventing data for as many as 13 years.
    http://www.theday.com/article/20100115/NWS01/100119833/1047

So Just how widespread is this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

something is wrong with the thread title

kinda like reading The Sun in these parts sometimes, headlines not really reflecting the subject matter and all that

would hope if true that its an isoloated case,but in reality its probably not isolated

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

which part of the title do you have a problem with?

oh, just the part that says

Big Pharma Reasearcher Admits To Faking Research Studies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Truthrevolution

Big pharma have been falsifying data for years i reckon, its not only widespread, its commonplace.Everything from the swine flu vaccination to cancer research and the MMR vaccine is all based on fake research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

kryogen wrote: »
    oh, just the part that says

Big Pharma Reasearcher Admits To Faking Research Studies

I don't get ya.

Reuben was a big pharma researcher: Yes

Reuben admitted to faking research studies: Yes

Put em together and what have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a "sceptic" to argue that Big Pharma don't effectively fabricate research. There has always been a correlation between who pays for research and the results of said research. Even if they don't lie outright, it's very easy to fool the uninformed with statistics.

I don't get ya.

Reuben was a big pharma researcher: Yes

Reuben admitted to faking research studies: Yes

Put em together and what have you got?

this is kind of weird to have to explain, but ok

Reuben was a big pharma researcher....yes

Reuben admitted to faking research studies......eh no

where does it say that in the article? hence the title being wrong

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a "sceptic" to argue that Big Pharma don't effectively fabricate research. There has always been a correlation between who pays for research and the results of said research. Even if they don't lie outright, it's very easy to fool the uninformed with statistics.

this is very true

• Advertisement

this is kind of weird to have to explain, but ok

Reuben was a big pharma researcher....yes

Reuben admitted to faking research studies......eh no

where does it say that in the article? hence the title being wrong

He's been fired, order to payback a lot of money and had most of his (peer) review articles removed. He's hardly denying the charges now is he? If you're point is only a pedantic one without really presenting any other side of this story then I don't see it's value?

stevejazzx wrote: »
    He's been fired, order to payback a lot of money and had most of his (peer) review articles removed. He's hardly denying the charges now is he? If you're point is only a pedantic one without really presenting any other side of this story then I don't see it's value?

my point is that the headline is misleading, it is

he has been charged with these things, he has been accused of these things he has not admitted these things

are you really that.....challenged......that you cant see the difference there?

i dont like people supplying false information, and it humours me that people who are always "seeking the truth" do exactly what they say they hate

pointing out hypocrasy could have value no?

other then that i dont really mind whether you think my points have value, if you decide they dont there is an ignore button under my username, boards.ie can be a much better place when people use it

my point is that the headline is misleading, it is

he has been charged with these things, he has been accused of these things he has not admitted these things

are you really that.....challenged......that you cant see the difference there?

i dont like people supplying false information, and it humours me that people who are always "seeking the truth" do exactly what they say they hate

pointing out hypocrasy could have value no?

other then that i dont really mind whether you think my points have value, if you decide they dont there is an ignore button under my username, boards.ie can be a much better place when people use it

Hmm; so you have no other side to represent then other than the fact the accused and charged individual has not directly admitted to carrying these acts? Even though he has entered into a plea deal where upon he accepts the charges levelled at him. He has also voluntarily stood down from the sate mediacal board from which he wa an associate.
    http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/Ethics/17985
    The 'challenge' here is to why you are questioning the thread title, with all the data that's in at present it still looks like a pedantic move on your behalf.
    There are loads of links claiming an outright admittance on behalf of Reuben as he accepts the charges. All you'd have to do is google it.
    My original point is that you have contributed nothing to this thread by your meaningless interjection.

tbh, wasnt trying to contribute, we all know these companies manipulate test research

just having a bit of fun for myself

whats your excuse for feeding it?

tbh, wasnt trying to contribute, we all know these companies manipulate test research

just having a bit of fun for myself

whats your excuse for feeding it?

Feeding it?
    It's a story as revelant as any other story and one that happens to be true; a novel quality. I also contributed the 'avandia' link as I feel it ties in with this story. 'Big pharma' as a title may be a somewhat cliched overview of a particularly exhausted conspiracy but it is nonetheless one of the most prevalent on modern times. I guess I'm surprised that people easily equate it with the genreralised corruption of 'things outside of our control'.

i meant feeding me, you shouldnt really reply to me if you think i have nothing to offer, there is also a report button for posts you deem irrelevant or whatever rather then replying to me and continuing the derailment of the thread

anyways, this stuff is unfortunatly, for the moment anyway, out of our control pretty much. money talks, always has and while these guys can still afford to buy their way out of trouble and bribe researchers to fake tests then it will continue

Advertisement