Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Phone for Older People?

Options
  • 20-02-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get a phone for my mother. She is in her 50's and is pretty much a technophobe. It has to be fairly simple with biggish buttons and text capabilities.

She doesn't need any extra features like a camera or mp3! Just the basics.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 veron01

I just got my Dad the Nokia 2720. It has big keys and you can increase font size. He is a complete technophobe and only uses it for receiving and taking calls. It has a real simple menu too. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Look up the Doro range of phones. I got one for my gran who is in her early 80s. She still doesn't know how to text on it, but she can make and receive calls and it has an emergency button too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AndrewSmith

I got a doro phone for my uncle at Christmas, seems quite good,its a clamshell style phone with big seperated buttons and an emergency button on the back. http://www.vodafone.ie/df/prepay/new/index.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

I got a doro phone for my uncle at Christmas, seems quite good,its a clamshell style phone with big seperated buttons and an emergency button on the back. http://www.vodafone.ie/df/prepay/new/index.jsp
    that Doro phone is LOUD, like i have never heard a phone with as loud a ring tone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AndrewSmith

Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    that Doro phone is LOUD, like i have never heard a phone with as loud a ring tone

Yes, thats for hard of hearing, might be very useful. You can change the tone volume if its too loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

http://www.binatonetelecom.com/products/mobile-phones/bb200

These are good for old folks.. got my ma one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

I got a Doro phone for my husband, he didnt want a camera or e-mail, and he has large fingers so its huge keypad is great.

Its very loud too, he turned down the volume a good bit, its very simple to use, it seems quite sturdy too. He chose that particular phone himself as he found his nokia difficult to use.

I would definately reccomend the Doro as a simple phone, its lightweight too and not bulky. It cost E99 in the Vodafone shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

VonLuck wrote: »
    I am looking to get a phone for my mother. She is in her 50's and is pretty much a technophobe. It has to be fairly simple with biggish buttons and text capabilities.

She doesn't need any extra features like a camera or mp3! Just the basics.

Any ideas?

Wish I had someone to buy me a nice mobile phone with big buttons suitable for a technophobe

Hope VonLucks mum knows how lucky she is

0lddog

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Hi,

does anyone know if the doro is sim locked to vodafone?

looking to get one for an elderly relative already on o2 payg.

can't switch to voda btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,228 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you want it sim free get it from future positive they've the best range and all sim free http://www.futurepositive.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

Hi,

does anyone know if the doro is sim locked to vodafone?

looking to get one for an elderly relative already on o2 payg.

can't switch to voda btw.

You could always try the Emporia Elegance (99 euro PAYG on O2). As with the Doro, it's aimed at elderly people. I gave an Emporia to my hearing-impaired, technophobic mum and she loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

as he found his nokia difficult to use.

sorry had to lol, first time i heard some one found a nokia to be hard to use. Even my 50+ grandmother can use one

reading the manual atleast helps :)

He chose that particular phone himself as he found his nokia difficult to use.

sorry had to lol, first time i heard some one found a nokia to be hard to use. Even my 50+ grandmother can use one

reading the manual atleast helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

reading the manual atleast helps :)[/QUOTE

He is also recovering from eye surgery. He couldnt see the keypad on his old Nokia phone or read the screen. Nokias are easy to use - I agree - but with his big fingers and being visually impaired at the moment the Doro phone was his choice when I asked him to pick out a phone for his Christmas gift.

I should have posted he is visually impaired in my first thread though.

He is also recovering from eye surgery. He couldnt see the keypad on his old Nokia phone or read the screen. Nokias are easy to use - I agree - but with his big fingers and being visually impaired at the moment the Doro phone was his choice when I asked him to pick out a phone for his Christmas gift.

I should have posted he is visually impaired in my first thread though.

ops sorry :(

Advertisement