Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye Laws on Consuming Alcohol in Public Places

Options
  • 20-02-2010 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

I know there is no state legislation pertaining to consuming alcohol in public places per se, however I was just wondering what the case is with drinking in public areas subject to the bye-laws of Dublin City Council, for example, having a picnic with beers by the canal?

Furthermore, does anybody know the regulations of the parks like St Stephen's Green, and Iveagh Gardens regarding outdoor picnics and beers, presuming they are subject to regulation of their own?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Not sure of Dublin City Council regs, but Fingal passed a bye law for drinking alcohol in public places and set a fine of £50 which has now been euroized to the pricely sum of €63.49. To this date I've still yet to see any court mentioned in our local paper The Fingal Independent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It depends where you go to drink and if there is enforcement. A city canal is more risky than lets say a canal in the suburb due to ahem lack of policing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.dublincity.ie/WATERWASTEENVIRONMENT/INTOXICATINGLIQUORBYELAWS/Pages/default.aspx

Phoenix Park, Iveagh Gardens and St. Stephen's Green are OPW and subject to their bye-laws. The canals may be subject to Waterways Ireland bye-laws also.

The object of the council bye-laws is to discourage systematic public drinking. However, the bye-laws couldn't be framed to allow for picnics and the like. So its a matter of how likely you are to be caught.

Victor wrote: »

And how anal the person who catches you is.

There is also the Dublin City Council Parks and Open Spaces By-Laws. Haven't found them online yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

In my experience, the worst that ever happens if you get caught is the Gardai confiscate your booze and expect a doe-eyed apology.

• Advertisement
Advertisement