Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Find something by IP address

• 20-02-2010 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭

Hypothetical question: if I had a device that could call home if it were robbed, but only gave me the IP address it was on, could I somehow trace it, or is there a service that I could buy to find the location of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭manna452121

I have used this for checking strange e-mails http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yeah, I'm in Dublin, not. I'm 100 miles away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

If you whois'd the Ip address you could tell the ISP, but trying to extract who actually owns the IP address from the ISP is probably a no go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Generally no, an IP is not a postcode.
    It could give you the city but not the house, block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

What is this device? - maybe GPS would be better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

APRS or similar

have the device email you with it's gps location
    only works if the device has a gps and is out doors
    a mobile phone may be better for this

if you have an IP do a traceroute may give you more info if the ISP has put nice names on the routers

if you have an IP then the Guards can get the location from the ISP , if it's static broadband. Dial up / mobile broadband isn't that easy

This all assumes that the tea leafs firewall allows the device to communicate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Might i ask what kind of device this might be? (ie laptop,computer,phone, random thing between laptop and phone like an ipad or something)

Best thing to have in order of importance:
    IP
    Webcam
    Gps

Take a couple of snapshots of your thief and it's a done deal. I've read plenty of articles about laptops with built in webcams taking photos of the thiefs and catching them from that (and getting the laptop back) from obviously handing it over to the police and not trying it yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Magnus wrote: »
    Generally no, an IP is not a postcode.
    It could give you the city but not the house, block.

I don't know how the Americans do it but they managed to trace an I.P. down to an address, street, even the bloomin' pc that they were looking for.
    Scary stuff.

See: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/19/technology/19china.html?ref=technology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

If you have a massive corporate building you could no easier trace the "switching code" to a desk than you could trace an ip to a house. HOWEVER. if you simply contact the corporation and ask which desk the switching code belongs to and they'll tell you. Same with the isp. Not really scary at all. Your phone number is in the phone book. that's a WAY and i mean WAY easier system to track down your full name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

If it's a laptop you're worried about being stolen I'd use something like logmein.com - you can hide the icon so when it boots up you'll see it's online and it'll give you it's IP Address.

You'd have to make note of the time it was online and contact the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 RIODEJ

Good topic to bring up.

Isnt there some thing that you can use to block your ip details when required?

Plus arent ip's changing all the time, when you log on, log off etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 staby123

If it's a laptop, you could use this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You are never safe, Your isp by law is required to record all your layer 3 headers for a yr (its 6 mths in europe). These may never be exposed, but they are recorded, Your layer 3 header will expose everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Biggins wrote: »
    I don't know how the Americans do it but they managed to trace an I.P. down to an address, street, even the bloomin' pc that they were looking for.
    Scary stuff.

See: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/19/technology/19china.html?ref=technology

Not to be blunt about this, but to find out that they would have had to first trace back to original ip(hackers would have used multiple proxy's on encrypted data streams etc) and then hacked the host network and pc's. So basically exactly what was done to them.

I remember a news article years ago about a American contractor who was working for a company doing defence contracts. He found out there was data being pulled off the servers, left the stream alone and after a few weeks traced it back to a rural part of china. He was positive that other company's data had been stolen, that there were multiple pc's on the same host network all running 24/7, which would imply shift work and a extreme amount of organisation as a single foot was never put out of place.

He went to the authorities and was arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 peeboo

Most of the IP tracing websites such as http://www.ip2location.com only can trace the Country, Region, City, ISP, etc of the IP address, not the home address or street address.

To get the home address or the personal info from the IP address, you will have to give the IP to law enforcement. They will trace it to the servers or proxy servers to check their logs in order to see who was using that IP at that time. But you will need a court order for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Universities typically have their own AS or SWIP'd block so the address of their main campus comes up if you query Whois with one of their IP addresses. They also tend to have descriptive rDNS records. For instance, if you saw traffic from 134.226.81.61, you could be reasonably sure it came from the School of Mathematics at Trinity.
    $ host 134.226.81.61
    61.81.226.134.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer pc1.maths.tcd.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 patchrick

On the topic, check out Adeona, its an open source lowjack software project that uses your laptop's built in webcam to take pictures of whoever steals your laptop.
    Also, becoming more prevalent with html5 is geolocation. This works by using geotagged wireless access points in conjunction with your IP address to give an approximation of your location. The results can sometimes be scarily accurate! Check out a demo here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

As far as I know the only way is to do it through the authoritys, whois may tell you the provider, but the provider wont tell you who owns the connection due to data protection etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22968

dealextreme = fun stuff , not stuff that needs to be 100% reliable :D

Advertisement