Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get my dog to use his new doghouse

Options
  • 20-02-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

This may sound silly but I own a husky dog 9 months old and a simply beautiful dog and loved to bits

But built him the daddy of all doghouses for him as he has been sleeping inside the my house so far , his doghouse is even lined with solid oak flooring and is 6 ft x 5 ft the rolls royce of pet pads even snoop dog would be proud to call his crib :P

However he wont go into it by himself and just looks at it and will prefer to lie down in the garden even now its snowing outside and he has no interest in it
    Some people suggested i put his feeding bowl etc into it but thought he would have gone into it in bad weather . Husky dogs normally prefer the outside and will lie down in the most fowl of weather conditions
    Would appreciate any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Daveq

Why not leave him sleeping in the house?

Otherwise is the dog house door facing the back door of your house? Dogs like to be able to keep an eye on the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blacksmith105

ok ok just realised that sent this to motor forum very funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DJ_U4EA

This may sound silly but I own a husky dog 9 months old and a simply beautiful dog and loved to bits

But built him the daddy of all doghouses for him as he has been sleeping inside the my house so far , his doghouse is even lined with solid oak flooring and is 6 ft x 5 ft the rolls royce of pet pads even snoop dog would be proud to call his crib :P

However he wont go into it by himself and just looks at it and will prefer to lie down in the garden even now its snowing outside and he has no interest in it
    Some people suggested i put his feeding bowl etc into it but thought he would have gone into it in bad weather . Husky dogs normally prefer the outside and will lie down in the most fowl of weather conditions

Wrong forum! :D To answer your question, put a few items in the dog house which have your scent on them (i.e old t-shirts etc). It will help the dog settle in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 WHIPIT

It might be to big also if you put a old jumper or something like that you own into it, he might as he will smell you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Still in motor forum........:D

Aww Poor doggie, Put his fave bed or buy him a big cuddly bed and put it in the house?

Hang up some pics, make the place more homely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

listermint wrote: »
    That is pretty funny :D:D

LOL:D This made my day. On a another note Does your dog have a blanket or dog bed he use to sleep on in the house had the same with one of my dogs stuck this into the house and he was a happy camper in his new home in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Anyone of ye thought about reporting this post so that it can be moved?

Nope. :D

(done now, btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Invite some bitches round ;)

But seriously, put in his bed and blanket... give him lots of praise etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cheers Peasant, thread moved from motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

You may have to resign yourself that he'll never bother with the house :rolleyes:

My Sister had an Elkhound, similar situation, custom built doghouse integrated into a shed. Problem is that Elkhounds are perfectly comfortable in appalling weather conditions & he preferred to sit in a hole he'd dug in the corner of the garden, then step inside the doghouse.

I remember seeing a documentary about the Iditarod, where one of the competitors mentioned that the dogs didn't really get comfortable until the temperature dropped to -20C !!! :eek:

I'd say as long as he has somewhere where he can lie out of the rain, he doesn't need more than that for protection from the weather..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sounds like a typical husky he probably feels more comfortable outside, they were bred to put up with much harsher conditions then are light snow in fact he probably loves being outside in it.

Advertisement