Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The league if Portsmouth leave

• 20-02-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

1 Chelsea 40 58
    2 Manchester United 31 51
    3 Arsenal 26 49
    4 Liverpool 16 44
    5 Tottenham Hotspur 19 40
    6 Manchester City 14 39
    7 Aston Villa 10 39
    8 Everton 2 35
    9 Birmingham City -3 34
    10 Stoke City 0 31
    11 Fulham 1 28
    12 Blackburn Rovers -19 28
    13 Sunderland -12 25
    14 Wigan Athletic -19 25
    15 Wolverhampton Wanderers -23 24
    16 West Ham United -7 23
    17 Burnley -23 23
    18 Hull City -29 23
    19 Bolton Wanderers -18 20
    20 Portsmouth -23 16

This is as at the end of games today. I havn't included games played, but it would be the same except for those yet to play portsmouth for the 2nd time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The fairest way to do it would treat it as Portsmouth never existed and expunge all results involving them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If Portsmouth fold all games will be nil and void, teams left to play them will just have that weekend off.

All points won against Portsmouth will be lost. Same thing happened in the League of Ireland when Dublin City went bust half way through the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Strange, I was just working on this as well but got different results, so one of us went wrong somewhere :confused:

1 Chelsea 40 58
    2 Manchester United 31 51
    3 Arsenal 27 49
    4 Liverpool 18 44
    5 Tottenham Hotspur 18 40
    6 Manchester City 12 39
    7 Aston Villa 11 39
    8 Everton 0 35
    9 Birmingham City -3 34
    10 Fulham 0 28
    11 Stoke City -5 28
    12 Blackburn Rovers -19 28
    13 Wigan Athletic -19 25
    14 Sunderland -12 24
    15 Wolverhampton Wanderers -22 24
    16 West Ham United -7 23
    17 Burnley -23 23
    18 Hull City -29 23
    19 Bolton Wanderers -18 20
    20 Portsmouth 0 0

It would be a joke if that happened in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Points are averaged under anew FIFA law each FA can choose which rule they use.

So if your team beat portsmouth they get points if you lost you dont, draw etc:

The other way is all resutls expunged, dunno what the PL use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

it'd be a disaster :(

although obviously good for Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I cant see the FA allowing it to happen. I know its out of their hands, but I have to imagine they'll have some sort of plan in place to make sure teams dont lose points, goal difference etc. even though its in the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i sincerely doubt it Archie, they are part of the reason this is happening in the first place, they are pretty incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I understand that, but I guess what it boils down to is, can you really see a situation happening in which United are docked 6 points? It'll never happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

They will go into administration and let alot of people go. They will be hopped off every week. Poor Pompey fans it is pretty horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They have to conjure up 22 million by the hearing I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

70 mill in debt after selling 80 mill worth of players.

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

CHD wrote: »
    They will go into administration and let alot of people go. They will be hopped off every week. Poor Pompey fans it is pretty horrible.

to be let go into administration they'll need to prove they can trade profitably going forward. They obviously can't do that at the moment without cutting running costs. And as their major cost is the wages of contracted players, they have no way of doing that.
    They'll also need to be able to prove they can settle their debts. To do that they'll need a buyer. Maybe they'll get one, i don't know. But why anyone would pump 50m or something into a club who'll be in the championship next season, have no real assets and a poor playing squad which is only going to get worse.

So it's quite unlikely that will happen.

It will be awful if the club go out of business. But i feel very strongly that, despite some calls for them to do so, the premier league, the FA, or FIFA should not intervene to help the club - be it through helping with debt or bending rules to allow them sell players. Portsmouth only have themselves to blame for this, and while i feel terrible for their fans, they have to abide by the courts decision. Liquidation looks the strong favourite right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

so is it not just the 12 million tax bill they are in court for as i thought?

of which they are contesting like 7 million in VAT?

from what i heard it was just the 12 million they are under threat because of in this instance so surely if that can be sorted they can continue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Archimedez wrote: »
    I cant see the FA allowing it to happen. I know its out of their hands, but I have to imagine they'll have some sort of plan in place to make sure teams dont lose points, goal difference etc. even though its in the rules.

Your post makes zero sense my man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

I just want them to hang on till after we play them on the 15th March :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The rule in the Premier League is that all game are expunged.

Posted a link to it in the thread below

Some articles from the BBC and the Guardian on the state of play.

It's not just the tax bill that the court will be taking into account.

The chances of them being allowed into administration is very bleak

Things are very very bleak for Portsmouth and I would be fairly surprised if they make it to the end of the season.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64559202&postcount=69

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64559208&postcount=71

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What I don't understand is, why once it's been liquidated, they can't start over almost instantly.

Start a new company, take the teams place in the league, rent out the stadium, have the parachute payments, and rebuild.

They'd have to start in the Rymans Isthmian League no? You can't just go out of buisness for the sake of convience and then declare you are back in business at the level you were at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

By all rights they should be wound up when the court does hear the case eventually.

But I can't help thinking that some way will be found to keep them going until the end of the season, so that the Premier League can then wash their hands of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If Portsmouth completely go out of business the FA will have an annoying time sorting out the promotion/relegation aspects of all the divisions right the way down the leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It just seems absurd to me, that given that they have guaranteed potential income of a significant level for 2 years due to the payments, if they could just get a bunch of youngsters out there, clear off their wage bill, and then slowly rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Could open up a whole can of worms. Those who have played extra games ain't gonna be too chuffed.

PHB wrote: »
    It just seems absurd to me, that given that they have guaranteed potential income of a significant level for 2 years due to the payments, if they could just get a bunch of youngsters out there, clear off their wage bill, and then slowly rebuild.

think of them as a business rather than a football club.
    At the moment they are trading at a large loss, despite massive revenues courtesy of their PL status. That revenue is only going to go down. And it's not that easy to drop their wage bill. The court have to protect the companies creditors. And given the fact that every day, week and month they go on up to the end of the season and beyond, they will be running up further debts to creditors.

How will they go about clearing the wage bill? Not as easy as people think.
    Most of their players are probably on money at Pompey they won't be able to dream of elsewhere. This will prevent clubs buying them, and if they do buy them we'll probably get situations like with Leeds were Portsmouth are still paying off a large proportion of a players wages after they are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What I don't understand is, why once it's been liquidated, they can't start over almost instantly.

Start a new company, take the teams place in the league, rent out the stadium, have the parachute payments, and rebuild.

Maybe because that's not fair?

If Portsmouth completely go out of business the FA will have an annoying time sorting out the promotion/relegation aspects of all the divisions right the way down the leagues.

Would it be that bad? Could they literally just promote third place and then the play offs be between the next 4 sides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

SantryRed wrote: »
    Would it be that bad? Could they literally just promote third place and then the play offs be between the next 4 sides?

I think the PL came out and said if the worst were to happen then they would keep the relegation as is. 18th and 19th would go down and three would come up from the Championship

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I think the PL came out and said if the worst were to happen then they would keep the relegation as is. 18th and 19th would go down and three would come up from the Championship

Sorry I meant from the Championship down. Because there will be one spot vacant in the Championship and they'd need to move that all the way down to the bottom league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Sorry I meant from the Championship down. Because there will be one spot vacant in the Championship and they'd need to move that all the way down to the bottom league.

Ah yes. Then the method you described would probably be the most logical.

Logistically for the leagues this could be a nightmare but I'd say from the moment the **** hit the fan at Pompey they have been trying to figure out a way to sort it all out

i don't think we'll have many clubs complaining about that, more chance for everyone to move up a league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Look up Telford United.

You will have no right to make a new team and take the old teams place in the league, otherwise, what is to stop me starting up a team and asking for them to be put in the prem?

Look up Telford United.

You will have no right to make a new team and take the old teams place in the league, otherwise, what is to stop me starting up a team and asking for them to be put in the prem?

Or someone like Watford in the Championship completely over extending themselves for a season to make the Prem, getting liquidated and starting again debt free!

Or someone like Watford in the Championship completely over extending themselves for a season to make the Prem, getting liquidated and starting again debt free!

they didn't go into liquidation, AFAIK

they didn't go into liquidation, AFAIK

I'm talking about what PHB said about how if Pompey get liquidated they should be allowed set up a new business and take Pompeys vacated spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement