Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat problems

Options
  • 20-02-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

i have 2 male cats buddy and buster (there brothers) about a year and a half old not quite sure they strayed into us, anyway we got a kitten and moved house all very quickly. the cats all settled in together and were the best of friends im starting to let the older ones out now but slowly introducing them to the area anyway the kitten comes out the back garden sometimes (he is a rescue kitten from the dspca so VERY nervous) yesterday the 3 of them were in the back garden and the kitten was standing at the bottom of the garden and buddy leaped on him and attacked him.

was this a territorial thing or what?? any ideas people cos i dont want them fighting the kitten is nervous enough

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Are the two males neutered? If not, thats probably the reason for the attack.
    Even if they are the two bigger cats are trying to claim their new territory, and little one just got in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'd keep him in a while longer, until he's a bit bigger and more confident. Give the others a chance to settle in and chances are once they're settled and used to him in the house, they should be friendlier to him outside.
    The other side of it is they could have just been playing, mine play sometimes and you would think they were killing each other, I find lumps of hair everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah, was it an attack or was it play? Sometimes one cat can mean something in a playful way, but if the other wasn't expecting the interaction they can squeal in response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

It could have been playing. And the kitten mightn't have known the big one was playing. And the big one mightn't have known the kitten wasn't playing. Or maybe the big one just got annoyed at the kitten and lashed out. Cats who live together will sometimes do that but wouldn't actually hurt each other.

If cats are fighting then they often stare each other down for ages first, while growling or meowing. And one will usually go up to the other and scratch it, rather than jump on it, and they will both be growling and screeching. They might jump on each other if they are really fighting, with fur flying and everything. If the one attacked was squealing or growling, before the other one started then it was probably an attack. But maybe he was just saying he's the boss, and to not annoy him.

If they are playing they'll usually be no growling, or just some playful growling. They will pounce on each other and roll around. If a cat rolls over on it's back then it's playing.

Strangely enough just heard one of my cats growling, looked out the window and a tom cat was staring at her and scaring her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 WHIPIT

blondie7 wrote: »
    i have 2 male cats buddy and buster (there brothers) about a year and a half old not quite sure they strayed into us, anyway we got a kitten and moved house all very quickly. the cats all settled in together and were the best of friends im starting to let the older ones out now but slowly introducing them to the area anyway the kitten comes out the back garden sometimes (he is a rescue kitten from the dspca so VERY nervous) yesterday the 3 of them were in the back garden and the kitten was standing at the bottom of the garden and buddy leaped on him and attacked him.

was this a territorial thing or what?? any ideas people cos i dont want them fighting the kitten is nervous enough

Yes this is normal they will from time to time fight, also when the kitten gets bigger it will defend its self, nature girl!!!!!!!!!! the kitten will have to learn to stand on its own two feet if you are going to let them out side. The only thing i would say is feed them seperate as the bigger cats will eat everything and the kitten will get nothing,

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

sorry should have been more clear, when i say kitten i mean he is about 7 months old now and they have all been living together for about 4 months there the best of friends inside they sleep cuddled up together, they eat from the same bowls, they share there toys. The problem is just outside maybe they were only playing!

Thanks for the replies guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement