Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League - Last 16

• 20-02-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

15730405.jpg

Tuesday, 23 February 2010
    Olympiakos v Bordeaux, 19:45 - Live Setanta Ireland & Sky Sports 3
    VfB Stuttgart v Barcelona, 19:45 - Live TV3 & Sky Sports 2

Wednesday, 24 February 2010
    CSKA Moscow v Sevilla, 17:30 - Live Setanta Ireland & Sky Sports 1
    Inter Milan v Chelsea, 19:45 - Live RTE Two & UTV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Zhirkov out and no Ferreira.

Cole is injured.

No LB available ?

Maicon could have fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

redout wrote: »
    Zhirkov out and no Ferreira.

Cole is injured.

No LB available ?

Maicon could have fun.

Who's gonna player there? Belletti? Alex? Ivanovic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Maybe Malouda, he played there in a CL game for us a few years back and did fine.

Johner wrote: »
    Maybe Malouda, he played there in a CL game for us a few years back and did fine.

Really? That would be strange. Lucky for ye Inter have no wingers. Although Maicon does the job of 2 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

At one point he played LB for Lyon for quite a bit as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Yeah I reckon Malouda will. Bran on the right. Terry & Carvalho in the middle. Lampard will probably play left of the diamond defensively like against United earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

15730405.jpg

Olympiakos v Bordeaux, 19:45 - Live Setanta Ireland & Sky Sports 3
    VfB Stuttgart v Barcelona, 19:45 - Live TV3 & Sky Sports 2

Unfortunately,for misers like me,that game is on Setanta Sports 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Gillington wrote: »
    Unfortunately,for misers like me,that game is on Setanta Sports 1

With the change in the fixture scheduling this season, how is it that RTE, Setanta Ireland, TV3 or UTV aren't showing Chelsea? It's a bit mad!

EDIT: I should read posts more carefully in future :rolleyes:

jasonorr wrote: »
    With the change in the fixture scheduling this season, how is it that RTE, Setanta Ireland, TV3 or UTV aren't showing Chelsea? It's a bit mad!

Should have gone to specsavers. ;)

JPA wrote: »
    Should have gone to specsavers. ;)

Why? Where's it on?

• Advertisement

Why? Where's it on?

Look at first post.

Sorry,wasnt clear enough! :o

the original post has tonights Olympiakos games as being shown on Setanta ireland whereas its only Setanta Sports 1!

My bad

JPA wrote: »
    Look at first post.

Edited post above... I should get more sleep!

Sorry,wasnt clear enough! :o

the original post has tonights Olympiakos games as being shown on Setanta ireland whereas its only Setanta Sports 1!

My bad

Nah, you were plenty clear. My brain isn't at the moment!

wtf is up with the English calling Xavi - Zavvi!

John Terry was doing it last season and yer woman on SSN is doing it now.

I cant understand how you cant get one of the most famous players in the world names correct.

Its not like it aint mentioned practically every week!

Baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Best one was in Fifa 08, I think; Chavvy. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Best one was in Fifa 08, I think; Chavvy. :pac:

Lol but thats how its pronounced.

I remember having this debate on boards not to long ago.

wtf is up with the English calling Xavi - Zavvi!

John Terry was doing it last season and yer woman on SSN is doing it now.

I cant understand how you cant get one of the most famous players in the world names correct.

Its not like it aint mentioned practically every week!

Baffling

It doesn't matter who you are, some people will always either get your name/surname or it's pronunciation completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Think i cant understand is when youve got two people commentating and they both pronounce guys names differently, then its back to the studio at half time and all the pundits have their own interpretation as well. Still, looking forward to the Barca game tonight, I havent seen them play much this year.

What way do you's pronounce Anelka's first name!? ITV call him Nicola and it bugs the hell outta me!

• Advertisement

What way do you's pronounce Anelka's first name!? ITV call him Nicola and it bugs the hell outta me!

That's probably the way he says it but, I just pronounce it as it's spelled. What used to bug me was people using the English pronunciation of Henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Think Barca are defo gonna have some good fun tonight. If it's less than 5-0 to Barcelona on aggregate after both legs, I'll be very surprised.

Bordeaux/Olympiacos will be a more interesting tussle; can still see Bordeaux getting through it in the end.

DazMarz wrote: »
    Think Barca are defo gonna have some good fun tonight. If it's less than 5-0 to Barcelona on aggregate after both legs, I'll be very surprised.

Bordeaux/Olympiacos will be a more interesting tussle; can still see Bordeaux getting through it in the end.

Serious!? Stuttgart have pulled up their socks since a woeful run of form when the group stages were on.Back then I think they had a run of 5 losses in a row in the middle of going 10 without a win.Since then they've won 6 out of 7 league games.Cacau came back on the weekend and scored 4 in a 5-1 win.I agree that Barca should go through over the whole tie but I dont think they'll have it all their own way tonight.It should make for a good game though!!

(Think I might be "injured" for training tonight!)

Serious!? Stuttgart have pulled up their socks since a woeful run of form when the group stages were on.Back then I think they had a run of losses in a row in the middle of going 10 without a win.Since then they've won 6 out of 7 league games.Cacau came back on the weekend and scored 4 in a 5-1 win.I agree that Barca should go through over the whole tie but I dont think they'll have it all their own way tonight.It should make for a good game though!!

I think Barcelona will have far too much for Stuttgart over the two legs. Tonight, playing away from home will be tougher but, I'd still expect them to win!

Serious!? Stuttgart have pulled up their socks since a woeful run of form when the group stages were on.Back then I think they had a run of losses in a row in the middle of going 10 without a win.Since then they've won 6 out of 7 league games.Cacau came back on the weekend and scored 4 in a 5-1 win.I agree that Barca should go through over the whole tie but I dont think they'll have it all their own way tonight.It should make for a good game though!!

Yeah, but at the same time, I can't see any other result, tbh. Even if Barca only pull a 1-0 win tonight, when they get their hands on Stuttgart in the Camp Nou they will eviscerate them.

We can always hope it doesn't happen.... but.......

Lads are you'se aware that Keita and Abidal are out. Xavi, Alves and Ibra are all been given until the last minute to prove their fitness. The news is that Ibra and Alves are doing better than Xavi but we will have to wait and see. Anyway out of those three Xavi is by far the more important. Barca certainly wont be at full strength and away from home in the Champions league is never easy. The German fans can usually create an atmosphere. I reckon it will be a tough game but will agree with Pep "the objective for the game is to score and not concede"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

DazMarz wrote: »

I think Barcelona will have far too much for Stuttgart over the two legs. Tonight, playing away from home will be tougher but, I'd still expect them to win!

Thing is Barcelona have had a huge injury list in the past few weeks. Toure, Keita, Xavi, Pique, Milito, Alves, Abidal, Chygrynsky and Ibrahimovic have all missed out on games in the past month. Against Atletico we played a La Masia wingforward at RB. Messi is also underperforming for the past 2 weeks or so, trying to do too much. Tonight's result is hardly a formality, and even a 1-0 loss wouldn't be that bad a result going into the Camp Nou in a few weeks time.

Barca's team will more than likely be (imo);

Victor

--Puyol
    Pique----Marquez----Maxwell--

Toure----Busquets

Iniesta

----Messi
    Zlatan
    Henry

Dani and Xavi trained, but I doubt they'll be risked and don't know if they've even passed a proper medical. That's a nice line up, with the ability to bring on the likes of Pedro, Bojan, Thiago, Jeffren, etc...

Reckon we might sneak a 2-0 win, goals from Busquets and Zlatan. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I think Barca will lose 1-0 tonight

eZe^ wrote: »
    Thing is Barcelona have had a huge injury list in the past few weeks. Toure, Keita, Xavi, Pique, Milito, Alves, Abidal, Chygrynsky and Ibrahimovic have all missed out on games in the past month. Against Atletico we played a La Masia wingforward at RB. Messi is also underperforming for the past 2 weeks or so, trying to do too much. Tonight's result is hardly a formality, and even a 1-0 loss wouldn't be that bad a result going into the Camp Nou in a few weeks time.

Barca's team will more than likely be (imo);

Victor

--Puyol
    Pique----Marquez----Maxwell--

Toure----Busquets

Iniesta

----Messi
    Zlatan
    Henry

Dani and Xavi trained, but I doubt they'll be risked and don't know if they've even passed a proper medical. That's a nice line up, with the ability to bring on the likes of Pedro, Bojan, Thiago, Jeffren, etc...

Reckon we might sneak a 2-0 win, goals from Busquets and Zlatan. :)

That post confused me a bit, but in the end you came to the same conclusion as me? :D

• Advertisement

That post confused me a bit, but in the end you came to the same conclusion as me? :D

I said it's not the formality people seem to be making it.

I said it's not the formality people seem to be making it.

I didn't say it was if you read my post. I said they should win tonight but, that it would be tougher than the home leg.

EDIT: I do think ye'll spank them at home but, tonight won't necessarily be easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Heading over to the Inter and Chelsea game tommorow night, really looking forward to it. Hopefully, it'll be a good game and not 0-0! I'd say it'll be a score draw, most likely 1-1.

UEFA Champions League
    960-5.png34tai46.pngbarcelona-3.png
    Mercedes-Benz Arena
    7:45pm

VFB Stuttgart lineup:
    Lehmann, Celozzi, Tasci, Delpierre, Molinaro; Gebhart, Traesch, Khedira, Hleb; Cacau, Pogrebnyak

FC Barcelona lineup:
    Victor Valdes; Puyol, Marquez, Pique, Maxwell; Busquets, Toure, Xavi; Messi, Ibrahimovic, Iniesta

Fairly close in my prediction, just with Xavi replacing Henry. Fairly surprising, really didn't think Pep would risk Xavi, Iniesta is capable of filling in for him.

Sky really rolling out the red carpet for tonights games :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why, what are they (not) doing?

gimmick wrote: »
    Why, what are they (not) doing?

I dont recognise one person in the studio or the touchline guy they have.

Also they are not using there Champions league studio.

Just two lads with a small table and a tv screen.

I think the ex-Scotland player Collins is in studio.

Very poor showing from Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No doubt still better than what TV3 will try.

No real ''huge'' games here tonight:

Sky wouldn't show huge preference to French or Greek teams. They're not gonna bust a gut over their perceived notion of a lesser game. Bastards.

gimmick wrote: »
    No doubt still better than what TV3 will try.

I wouldn't be surprised if they started putting the xpose hosts as commentators so they can deliver tabloid gossip whenever the ball's out of play. And shaving off even more analysis time at each end of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I dont recognise one person in the studio or the touchline guy they have.

Also they are not using there Champions league studio.

Just two lads with a small table and a tv screen.

I think the ex-Scotland player Collins is in studio.

Very poor showing from Sky.

Yeah but the Sky first team has to get ready for the weekend for their big match coverage of the biggest and bestest league in the world dot com - Wigan vs Stoke :rolleyes:

Btw, Matt Cooper, the level of gobshitery chatter coming out of him is really astounding. Practically slagging Arsenal off to Martin Keown of all people. :confused:

cson wrote: »
    Yeah but the Sky first team has to get ready for the weekend for their big match coverage of the biggest and bestest league in the world dot com - Wigan vs Stoke :rolleyes:

Btw, Matt Cooper, the level of gobshitery chatter coming out of him is really astounding. Practically slagging Arsenal off to Martin Keown of all people. :confused:

But surely they could get Gerry Armstrong and co from the La Liga panel? They are very good analysts and would be better than these drab lads who barely have a vested interest in the match.

Spider cam

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

But surely they could get Gerry Armstrong and co from the La Liga panel? They are very good analysts and would be better than these drab lads who barely have a vested interest in the match.

I'm slagging Sky off eZe! I agree, they should have been able to put together a decent panel. Same goes for TV3. To be honest I think I'm just gonna give up watching any pre match ****e anymore cos all it ever seems to do is annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Stuttgart can thank the pitch there. I was sure that was 1-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

cson wrote: »
    I'm slagging Sky off eZe! I agree, they should have been able to put together a decent panel. Same goes for TV3. To be honest I think I'm just gonna give up watching any pre match ****e anymore cos all it ever seems to do is annoy me.

TV3 have never ever ever been able to put together a decent planel.

Messi looking lively tonight. Stuttgart's LB seems to have a touch of the fear about him.

Spider cam

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was very cool. Watching full matches like that would be quite entertaining.

Lehmann is a legend.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Comedy gold from Mad Jens to fall on the photographer there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Lehmann is a legend.............
    Comedy gold from Mad Jens to fall on the photographer there.

How I miss him and his shenanigans.

And, ya know, his ability to be a goalkeeper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement