Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League - Last 16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

gotta love lehmann. mentalist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ah mad Jens. Hilarious stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lol at Lehman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Lehmann is clinically insane. :pac:. I miss his madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Clever goal keeping my mad Jens. Some referees would probably have booked him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

[ Jens was the master. I always loved him in the Prem. Great fun. Haha. Pity that his save rebounded straight to Ibra.

Some joke of refereeing here. Shows why refs are shown no respect by players; they don't deserve any most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What about Ibra taking it down with his arm before taking the shot .

Was wondering about that but did'nt see it right. only turn to look as it came off him.

Was'nt going to risk accuseing the worlds best player without being 100%:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Stekelly wrote: »
    Was wondering about that but did'nt see it right. only turn to look as it came off him.

Was'nt going to risk accuseing the worlds best player without being 100%:)

Worlds best ???

Drogba nor Rooney are playing in this match :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Worlds best ???

But Messi is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Worlds best ???

redout wrote: »
    But Messi is.

And Xavi and Iniesta... They've not won a Ballon d'Or yet, but just watch...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

redout wrote: »
    But Messi is.

If neither Drogba or Rooney are in with a shout this year for the top accolades it will be a disgrace.

Aslo speaking of Messi, the rules of the game need to be changed , messi was on great run coming into the final minutes of the game and gets taken out of it .

A yellow card is simply not enough for what could have been a goal scoring chance albeit it was at the half way line . It just seems the simple way , I'l take the player out and take my card , no skill in it what so ever and its something thats been coming into the game more and more .

Its fair game to mill a player around the halfway line these days as a yellow card and free kick from that far out is not enough of a deterrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

CHD wrote: »
    Not really, he isn't that good :)

Better player than Drogba. :)
    Jazzy wrote: »
    iniesta with a dive there, but ah well... hes playing for barca and isnt gerrard/ronaldo/rooney so we will ignore that :)

Iniesta has always been a serial diver? Just because the English media is the only one you're really exposed to doesn't mean he doesn't get slated when he does it in Spain. Kinda makes sense that there's a bigger deal made about Gerrard, Rooney, Ronaldo diving, considering they are in the PL? (bar Ronaldo)

Anyway, shocking game for Barca in the 1st half, team looked crocked and no bothered. Busquets and Marquez were liabilities most of the game. It was mostly a game of the Barca defenders passing the ball to each other, the ball didn't make it to Iniesta/ Xavi enough and thus Messi/ Zlatan were nullified.

Iniesta CANNOT play wide if his fullback can't provide the width for when he inevitably roams inside. 2nd half was better, the team passed more fluidly, but attacking wise they were still very disappointing. Ibrahimovic held the ball up and used it much better in the 2nd half, and delighted that he scored his first CL K.O goal. Hopefully one of many, and he can finally shake the 'chocker' tag he seems to have gotten among British Isles fans. Love how cheeky his is, pissing off opposition players every opportunity he gets.

Anyways, good result, horribly stagnant performance. Time to put it behind them though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

am i reading this right

posters are saying Ibra is better than Drogba ?

you got to be kidding, Drogba is better than Ibra

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ha, tv3 trying to do a dunphy and slate ibra.
    i love when ppl slate ibra, you can see how they are only really appealling to a certain type of fan with a certain mindset.

yeah drogba is on better form and is probably the better player but i dunno, its close. if ibra was at chelsea instead of drogba he'd probably score just as many. hard to call

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

eZe^ wrote:
    Better player than Drogba.

Haha

That is all.

Headshot wrote: »
    am i reading this right

posters are saying Ibra is better than Drogba ?

you got to be kidding, Drogba is better than Ibra

This season yes (and also in 2006), don't even think over their careers so far Drogba has been better. If you want to actually debate it I've no problem doing so, hardly as ridiculous a statement as you're making it out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

ha, tv3 trying to do a dunphy and slate ibra.
    i love when ppl slate ibra, you can see how they are only really appealling to a certain type of fan with a certain mindset.

yeah drogba is on better form and is probably the better player but i dunno, its close. if ibra was at chelsea instead of drogba he'd probably score just as many. hard to call

Surely Ibra would score as many or more in an arguably better team like Barca?

IMO Ibra is not even in the same league as Drogba .

Drogba has been a different class this season (Along with Rooney , I feel dirty saying that)

Ibra is temperamental and shows a lack of passion from what I have watched of him this season.

JPA wrote: »

Ibrahimovic was amazing from Sept - December, had a rough January, and is not starting to find a goal scoring touch again. Give him time, he will prove you doubters wrong. I've every confidence in that.

Drogba has been a different class this season (Along with Rooney , I feel dirty saying that)

Ibra is temperamental and shows a lack of passion from what I have watched of him this season.

Hahah, Drogba is the only player in the history of the CL to get sent off in a final. He's the definition of tempermental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I doubt there's a manager in world football who would take Ibra over Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

eZe^ wrote: »
    This season yes (and also in 2006), don't even think over their careers so far Drogba has been better. If you want to actually debate it I've no problem doing so, hardly as ridiculous a statement as you're making it out to be.

meh I couldnt be bothered debating it, I wont change my mind and either will you

but I do wonder what your opinion would be like if ibra wasn't a barca player

dunno, didnt it come down to dodgy reffing last time?
    sure, hes only been at barca 6 months or so. i remember drogbas first 6 months at chelsea... reminded me of a circus elephant with a ball.

ah crap, i just took a big dump on any point ya had. sorry

Ibrahimovic was amazing from Sept - December, had a rough January, and is not starting to find a goal scoring touch again. Give him time, he will prove you doubters wrong. I've every confidence in that.

I like Ibra but I think with both on top form Drogba is better.
    And Ibra is prone to anonymity in games from time to time IMO.

I will debate it eze but be prepared for a one line answer to your 200 line post.

sure, hes only been at barca 6 months or so. i remember drogbas first 6 months at chelsea... reminded me of a circus elephant with a ball.

What you on about? :confused:

• Advertisement

No you proved you have a crap memory.

Headshot wrote: »
    meh I couldnt be bothered debating it, I wont change my mind and either will you

but I do wonder what your opinion would be like if ibra wasn't a barca player

Well, the fact that he's won his domestic title every year from 2001/2002 to 2008/ 2009 at whatever club he's at, and his goal scoring record is just as impressive. All I'm saying is it's not as ridiculous as you're making it out to be, just because Drogba has been fantastic this year.

I like Ibra but I think with both on top form Drogba is better.
    And Ibra is prone to anonymity in games from time to time IMO.

And I'm hoping at Barca he can add that consistency in the K.O stages of the CL. Sher all we can do is wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Drogba >>>>>>>> Ibra any day of the week for me.

Its not even close to be honest.

And I'm hoping at Barca he can add that consistency in the K.O stages of the CL. Sher all we can do is wait.

I hope he does.

Hahah, Drogba is the only player in the history of the CL to get sent off in a final. He's the definition of tempermental.

Sorry you must of missed the this season comment :o

• Advertisement

Sorry you must of missed the this season comment :o

Fair enough, Drogba has definitely been better than Zlatan so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Lehmann in 2006 final against your lot?

edit: sorry eze mate, just jumped out at me. I have nothing else to add to the debate though :P

He'd want to hurry up, he's 28!

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Lehmann in 2006 final against your lot?

Jesus, dead right. Only outfield player to get sent off maybe? :D:D (coulda sworn there was something unique about his sending off against United)
    flahavaj wrote: »
    He'd want to hurry up, he's 28!

He's in his prime?

He's in his prime?

Lads like Messi, Ronaldo and Rooney have been scoring at this stage of the CL for years before their primes.

Ibra has hit his prime and only scored for the first time this year. He's want to hurry up and show something is all I'm saying, give that he's in teh midst of the best years of his career......

No you proved you have a crap memory.

balls were coming off his shins and into the net. he had a long adjustment period in chelsea. he wasnt an instant hit. he looked lost at times up front. he just so happened to be better then mutu and kesman and if it wasnt for lampard then chelsea would have struggled to win the league. drogba got better after and then had some phenomonal seasons. hes getting old now though, not that its showing :)
    ibra has been at barca for f-all and has adjusted faster to that side (who play at great pace with a mind to attack) after coming from inter (who play at a slower pace and rely more on measured passing and positioning).... now i know your foaming at the bit, im not saying barca dont play a great passing or positional game, its obvious that they do.. but the pace and tempo they play at is far faster then at inter. he has less time on the ball and less time to make an impact.... and guess what, he has. drogba came from a worse league and yes, he took longer to adjust. jose had faith in him and constantly said it and yes, he was right in the end.. but it took longer for drogba to get there then ibra is at barca.

take from that what you will, i have already said that ultimately i think drogba is a better player but to say that hes tons better is reactionary and stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

flahavaj wrote: »
    Lads like Messi, Ronaldo and Rooney have been scoring at this stage of the CL for years before their primes.

Ibra has hit his prime and only scored for the first time this year. He's want to hurry up and show something is all I'm saying, give that he's in teh midst of the best years of his career......

People rate Drogba but he only really became a beast of a player at that age.

Glen Crowe would score 20+ in that Barca team. Iba is overrated imo. Drogba owns him and any manager in the world would take Drogba over Ibra.

take from that what you will, i have already said that ultimately i think drogba is a better player but to say that hes tons better is reactionary and stupid

Exactly, it's fair enough to think Drogba is better, but people saying the gap between the two is immeasurable is pretty ridiculous. I'm hoping the increased exposure of La Liga in Ireland will help dispel the opinion's people seem to have made due to his disappointing KO CL record...

Ah now, Drogba in his second season at Chelsea was what, 26 and already recognised as a force of nature?

Ibra on the other hand only scores his first goal in the last 16 of the CL at 28 and still has it all to prove. Despite already having reached his peak. If this is his peak, how sh*t will he be in a couple of years time?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

yeah he's in the better spanish league
    Glen Crowe would score 20+ in that Barca team. Iba is overrated imo. Drogba owns him and any manager in the world would take Drogba over Ibra.
    no they wouldnt he is too old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Archimedez wrote: »
    I doubt there's a manager in world football who would take Ibra over Drogba.

I would.

adamski8 wrote: »
    yeah he's in the better spanish league

no they wouldnt he is too old
    EPL > La Liga

La Liga might have two very very strong teams one of which is the best ever but the EPL is a tougher league.

PHB wrote: »
    I would.

Who do you manage?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I would.
    But you're not a manager :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I would.

Are you a manager in world football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

EPL > La Liga

La Liga might have two very very strong teams one of which is the best ever but the EPL is a tougher league.

Complete horsehsit.

If you lined up both leagues side by side and forced them to play each other i would fully expect every PL team to get beat over 2 legs by their la liga counterparts.

Altho i agree with the anti Ibra sentinment, doesnt do it for me doesnt do enough to earn his jersey. For barca hes not Eto, Villa or Fabiano would have been a better buy altho if you PAY 50 million and AND give Eto its hardly a buy more like the greatest robbery in the history of the world.

Ibrahimovic;

Ajax, played there for 4 seasons, won 2 league titles.

Juventus, played there for 2 seasons, won 2 league titles.

Inter, played there for 3 seasons, won 3 league titles.

That's all before he signed for Barca. Guess it was him fluking all those years too.

Capello has gone on record and said that Ibrahimovic is the best striker in the world, and can go on to be as good as Van Basten. So there's one world class manager who disagrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I suppose anyone like us could say how we would pick the team. I know personally i'd prefer passing technically gifted players so Zlat ahead of a powerhouse striker like Dorgba for me 9 times out of 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He was a fearsome player at Marseille in his one season there, 32 goals including 11 in Europe. He took some adjusting to life in the Premier League but even in those first couple of seasons (15 goals in each) he performed well

Advertisement