Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League - Last 16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

deisedevil wrote: »
    But what if United or Chelsea play to their potential?

Ffs, all I'm saying is I think Sevilla have a better chance at knocking out the big guns where they are written off, as opposed to playing against the perceived minnows. I don't know whether it's a motivational thing or whatever, but it's the truth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I get what you are saying eZe^ but I can't agree with you. Over two legs Sevilla will be brushed aside 9 times out of 10 imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

edit: IM BLIND!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

greendom wrote: »
    What's the difference between a LWF and an RWF and a left and right winger I would use the latter 2, the 2 former sound like they come from someone talking about soccer rather than football

From what I can see the confusion comes from the term "winger" which is frequently used both to describe wide midfielders and wide forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No....more....Honda...jokes.....please.....Setanta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

noodler wrote: »
    No....more....Honda...jokes.....please.....Setanta

their trying to make something better-r-r-r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

SSN: Malouda starts at LB.

a78.jpg

lolz gona be a long night of boring end to end stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Inter team: Julio Cesar, Maicon, Zanetti, Samuel, Lucio, Cambiasso, Stankovic, Motta, Sneijder, Eto'o, Milito.
    Chelsea team: Cech, Ivanovic, Malouda, Terry, Carvalho, Mikel, Ballack, Lampard, Kalou, Anelka, Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Sneijder will be the key to wheter Inter can break down Chelsea's defence. Otherwise I can't see anything other than Chelsea winning over 2 legs.

Cech
    Ivan---Carvalho---Terry--Malouda
    Mikel
    Kalou---Lampard--Ballack--Anelka
    Drogba

Hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ex Liverpool man Gonzales with a cracking equaliser!

Tuesday, 9 March 2010
    Arsenal v FC Porto, (agg 1-2) 19:45
    Fiorentina v Bayern Munich, (agg 1-2) 19:45

Wednesday, 10 March 2010
    Man Utd v AC Milan, (agg 3-2) 19:45
    Real Madrid v Lyon, (agg 0-1) 19:45

Fabregas has just been ruled out.

97547228.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5D5A207171F7B740890D51EA34E757662A94B054D35B574A8

Fiorentina have never won against Bayern Munich in European competition, losing twice and drawing once.

Bayern Munich are unbeaten in their last four trips to Italy in the Champions League (two wins, two draws).

The Bavarians have won their last three Champions League matches.

La Viola have only lost once at home in 12 Champions League games (1-2 v Lyon last season).

Fiorentina are the joint-top scorers, along with Real Madrid, in this season's Champions League with 15 goals.

Bayern Munich have won 85 per cent of tackles, the best ratio in this season's competition.

The Bavarian side has scored two goals from the penalty spot, a competition-high this season alongside Milan.

No player has been directly involved in more goals than Alberto Gilardino in the Champions League this season: the Fiorentina striker has scored three goals and delivered three assists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Porto have progressed on each of the last 24 occasions they built a home-leg advantage in Europe :eek:

Porto have lost all six of their trips to London :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

jasonorr wrote: »
    Porto have progressed on each of the last 24 occasions they built a home-leg advantage in Europe :eek:

Porto have lost all six of their trips to London :D

So a 3 - 2 Arsenal win then ? :(

Fiorentina: Frey; De Silvestri, Natali, Kroldrup, Felipe; Montolivo, Zanetti; Marchionni, Jovetic, Vargas; Gilardino.

Bayern Munich: Butt; Lahm, Van Buyten, Badstuber, Alaba; Robben, Van Bommel, Schweinsteiger, Ribery; Mueller, Gomez.

Ribery on the left and Robben on the right.

Bayern have without doubt the strongest wingers in a team in the world.

How often do you see a team with a great winger on both wings ?

Bayern are also unbeaten in 18 matches going into this match.

redout wrote: »
    Bayern have without doubt the strongest wingers in a team in the world.

How often do you see a team with a great winger on both wings ?

great wingers but both very injury prone

• Advertisement

Fiorentina one up on Bayern and ahead on the away goals rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Jovetic, Golazo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Van bommel scores for Bayern, 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Another goal for Fiorentina. Great match. 3 - 1 (4 - 3)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

And an unbelievable goal from Robben - cracking strike. What a match!!

Game has gone crazy.

3-2 Fiorentina lead (4-4 agg)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Its brilliant. Glad I switched at HT. Come on Fiore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

As a Bayern fan this is a nail-biter. Alaba doing well at the back despite being so young and uncapped (even in Bundesliga!). Our defense is crap, as per usual. But this game is huge for us. Our qualification to the next round of the CL could be what tips the favour for Ribery to stick with us...

Ribery is a dick tbh.

Didnt he recently state when asked about his future that if Bayern are not still in the Champions league come April then he will leave!

Seriously, what an absurd statement to make.

He is treating Bayern with disrespect for months.

Ribery is a dick tbh.

Didnt he recently state when asked about his future that if Bayern are not still in the Champions league come April then he will leave!

Seriously, what an absurd statement to make.

He seems to be a bit of a mercenary

• Advertisement

Barca boy Keirrison on the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ Its brilliant. Glad I switched at HT. Come on Fiore

So you missed Nasri's goal? Check out the highlights!

Fiorentina look out of it tbh.

Hope they score but doesnt seem likely.

*wipes sweat from brow*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Great watching was that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Bayern are quality upfront, Robben in particular looks like he's finally starting to deliver. As good as they were going forward though, they look even worse defensively then they did when they were hammered 4-0 by Barca in the Champions League last year.

If they draw Barcelona again, they might as well not bother turning up!

Bayern are quality upfront, Robben in particular looks like he's finally starting to deliver. As good as they were going forward though, they look even worse defensively then they did when they were hammered 4-0 by Barca in the Champions League last year.

If they draw Barcelona again, they might as well not bother turning up!

If memory serves Bayern were missing 3 of their 4 regular defenders plus there regular keeper for that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If memory serves Bayern were missing 3 of their 4 regular defenders plus there regular keeper for that game.
    Nah, Lucio was the only injury they had - http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/champions-league/2008-2009/barcelona-bayern-275974.html

No. I am pretty sure there was more than that. I remember writing about it in the actual match thread for that game last year.

EDIT: Here is the actual thread. Have a read through it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055533666

I just finished reading that entire thread and I was correct in my original post.

Bayern were missing both first choice CBs, the LB and the Goalkeeper.

• Advertisement

Our defense is very weak. Lahm and van Buyten are great there but then the dynamic falls apart when you've got Demichelis (or any number of junior replacements) and Badstuber. We need to make some good purchases during the summer, but in the mean time, we need to organise that back line properly. The problem is the manager (van Gaal) is stubborn and keeps sticking the same team on the pitch, because it's working. Sure, 18 games without a loss is good... but we could be a more dynamic team. The front line is great, the center is solid (when van Bommel shows up) but the back lets us down, big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Just saw Robben's goal there, very special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ush1 wrote: »

No team can unite Europe like Real. It's a shame that united front is in pure hatred of them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No team can unite Europe like Real. It's a shame that united front is in pure hatred of them :D

I honestly don't even mind them but the fact that we hop off them in Europe and they still say this. They may very well beat us but I mean c'mon like. Guti started saying that Lyon aren't a big deal in Europe, bit ironic considering he wouldn't make Lyons bench.

Funny actually, on a Lyon blog I post on they were talking about it and some Madristas started posting mad stuff.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2010/03/09/1824509/cl-debate-six-reasons-why-real-madrid-will-beat-lyon-and-qualify-

Seems the whole world wants Lyon to lose, haha.

But then they post this today:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2010/03/10/1826102/cl-debate-real-madrid-sergio-ramos-should-beware-the-ides-of

Those articles are written by the same bloke? Split personalities much.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I honestly don't even mind them but the fact that we hop off them in Europe and they still say this. They may very well beat us but I mean c'mon like. Guti started saying that Lyon aren't a big deal in Europe, bit ironic considering he wouldn't make Lyons bench.

Funny actually, on a Lyon blog I post on they were talking about it and some Madristas started posting mad stuff.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2010/03/09/1824509/cl-debate-six-reasons-why-real-madrid-will-beat-lyon-and-qualify-

Seems the whole world wants Lyon to lose, haha.

But then they post this today:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2010/03/10/1826102/cl-debate-real-madrid-sergio-ramos-should-beware-the-ides-of

Those articles are written by the same bloke? Split personalities much.

I think the comment on the first article saying Madrid will "out-class Lyon" sums it up. Real are not a classy team, on or off the pitch. I'm a Bayern fan and would gladly admit that, although we try, we are not classy. But next to Real we're the classiest lump of caviar on any pitch. Same idea for Lyon.

Real think they're on a mad roll. Before last night Bayern were 18 games without defeat. One loss was the best loss in the world, of course ;)

Lyon need the hunger to win... that's all. Madrid are going into this presuming they'll win, and that Lyon will be afraid going into the stadium tonight. Which is ludicrous. Lyon will have faced similar situations in their own domestic league... it's not that much of a factor. Once they play well and close down the front line of Real they'll be grand!

Having said that, Robben wanted to face Real in his new Bayern shirt, to inflict a bit of pain. Would be nice to see that happen ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Should be a cracking match in the Bernabeu tonight with plenty of goals. Lyon have a great chance of scoring which would make it difficult for Real with the away goal rule. Could be another epic like last Sat night.

If Real get a couple of early goals then I reckon the tie is over but if Lyon score its going be a big ask for Real who will automatically require three. If Lyon get a second then its curtains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Bernabau is such an intimidating spot for any team to go to. It's the same with Stuttgart having to go to Nou Camp or Milan to OT. The home stadium factor will give Real a huge boost and if they can put one or two in, go in 2-0 up at half time or so... Happy days for them. But as said above, if Lyon sneak one..... All hell breaks loose then. I hope Lyon stuff them!

37004063.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Real 1 up from twinkle toes ronaldo

• Advertisement
Advertisement