Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League - Last 16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Dave! wrote: »
    You're a sucker for not reading previous posts too :mad:

Do you've nothing better to be doing in Australia :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Lyon, tis yer shower who are playin' Lille.

doh

i would normally take offence of the word "shower" but....spade a spade and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

oh ya so much for Ramos's 3-0 . LoL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

God if English football has fallen since it's peak then italien football is fücked and what a great result from Lyon who have really failed to make any real mark in europe So far despite their domestic domenance.

Don't agree with that at all.

Lyon frequently punch well above their weight considering the League they come from wouldn't be as strong as others. They wouldn't be expecting to make a mark in Europe tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

10/03/2010 The day football died.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Wonder how Ronaldo feels?

Lol.

Prolly still have a **** infront of the mirror tonight since he scored madrids only goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

cson wrote: »
    Don't agree with that at all.

Lyon frequently punch well above their weight considering the League they come from wouldn't be as strong as others. They wouldn't be expecting to make a mark in Europe tbh.
    Yes but i mean it's probably always a big hope that they could go on a good run but they haven't really so far in the champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yes but i mean it's probably always a big hope that they could go on a good run but they haven't really so far in the champions league.

Whats a good run? They were 5 mins away from the semis in '05.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Whats a good run? They were 5 mins away from the semis in '05.
    A run to the final i guess .................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bodhisopha wrote: »

Wha?

• Advertisement

A run to the final i guess .................

Well in that case there's alot of teams that haven't gone on a run.

Lyon are a quality side and have been for years. You wouldn't expect them to ever make the semis but at the same time you wouldn't be too shocked if they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

It's mighty stuff from Lyon really to be able to compete with the big boys. The revenue of the French league is tiny compared to the the other heavy hitters in Europe (i.e. England, Spain, Italy, Germany), according to wiki the MLS and the J-League topped it in 05-06. I think I remember the Championship even surpassed it at one stage. Some achievement that they, along with Porto, consistently get in and around the last 16.

Well in that case there's alot of teams that haven't gone on a run.
    I know I'm sorry it's just something I have in my head that a team who can dominate there domestic league for so long would have been constanly pushing for honours in Europe even if there league isn't as strong as england's or spains again just something I have in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Did anyone just see Higuain's dive there? It was ridiculously bad.

For all their star players and attackers, Madrid's defence is still pathetic. And if anyone tries to suggest Ramos is a top class defender, they'd want their head checked. He tries to kick the attacker everytime he gets the ball rather than try and actually win the ball. The attempted tackle on Lisandro just showed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Lyon are a quality side and have been for years. You wouldn't expect them to ever make the semis but at the same time you wouldn't be too shocked if they did.

Only 4th in French league though, as an Arsenal fan I'd love to take them on in the quarters. Their most impressive trait is Lisandro Lopez' incredible beard, seriously though what a man, what a mighty good man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

34ss8ow.jpg

Only 4th in French league though, as an Arsenal fan I'd love to take them on in the quarters. Their most impressive trait is Lisandro Lopez' incredible beard, seriously though what a man, what a mighty good man

Always want them to draw Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Sitting here with my Bayern shirt with a huge grin on my face. Good enough for them. Geasy tossers :D

Well done Lyon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Always want them to draw Arsenal.

Reckon it would definitely be a good game anyway!

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    Reckon it would definitely be a good game anyway!

Defo, similar teams in alot of ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

It'd be Canal+'s wet dream if they were to draw Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Absolute nonsense.

Gomis, Cissokho, Lisandro and Bastos were all bought in the summer. Pjanic, Lloris, Boumsong, Makoun Il, Delgado and Ederson all bought the summer before. Granted they weren't as active as Real, but they were certainly one of the busiest clubs last summer, 3rd or 4th highest spenders in europe. So if people are complaining about Reals team being slapped together, its worth acknowledging that Lyon's current squad is also somewhat "slapped together"

(Transfer info is taken from wiki so I'm open to correction)

MR NINE wrote: »
    Gomis, Cissokho, Lisandro and Bastos were all bought in the summer. Pjanic, Lloris, Boumsong, Makoun Il, Delgado and Ederson all bought the summer before. Granted they weren't as active as Real, but they were certainly one of the busiest clubs last summer, 3rd or 4th highest spenders in europe. So if people are complaining about Reals team being slapped together, its worth acknowledging that Lyon's current squad is also somewhat "slapped together"

(Transfer info is taken from wiki so I'm open to correction)

Show me a decent champions league team that hasn't spent abit though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

To be honest, I'm very happy about that. Despite quite liking Kaka and Ronaldo, I find the whole Real Madrid galactico experiment detestable, and am quite happy to see it fail. Nonetheless, it's a good result for United too, because Madrid on their day could beat anyone, but are now out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Show me a decent champions league team that hasn't spent abit though?

Ah I'm not trying to criticize Lyon at all, happy to see them go through. Just pointing out that their transfer policy seems to have changed a bit from being similar to Arsenals (producing endless streams of talented youth) to being more like Reals (spending big money and "slapping a team together"). Unfortunately it seems to be the nature of the game I guess. Can't really criticize them though coz it seems to be working out for them.

Wasn't trying to cause a stir was just pointing out to nuxxx that Real weren't the only team to have been "slapped together" of late.

MR NINE wrote: »
    Ah I'm not trying to criticize Lyon at all, happy to see them go through. Just pointing out that their transfer policy seems to have changed a bit from being similar to Arsenals (producing endless streams of talented youth) to being more like Reals (spending big money and "slapping a team together"). Unfortunately it seems to be the nature of the game I guess. Can't really criticize them though coz it seems to be working out for them.

Well they still have lots of youth players coming through and they sold Benz for abit of cash.

I honestly have no problem with how Madrid go on, most people complaining about them support clubs who spend big anyway.

Well they still have lots of youth players coming through and they sold Benz for abit of cash.

I honestly have no problem with how Madrid go on, most people complaining about them support clubs who spend big anyway.

They've always been a selling club really, they sell players for big money and bring in a few and it's worked very well for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PHB wrote: »
    because Madrid on their day could beat anyone, but are now out.

No, on their day they can beat any la Liga team. Thats all, its been that way for years now (2005-10) so no change really.

• Advertisement

They've always been a selling club really, they sell players for big money and bring in a few and it's worked very well for them.

Same as Arsenal.;)

Same as Arsenal.;)

I'd almost give you a touché there. Very few Arsenal players are sold in their prime, purely to make money or do well/better when they leave. There have been exceptions of course.

I'd almost give you a touché there. Very few Arsenal players are sold in their prime, purely to make money or do well/better when they leave. There have been exceptions of course.

Well I can think of a few, and I can think of a few Lyon. The Lyon players went for MASSIVE fees and pretty much all had replacements ready. You might bandy about the term selling club because they play in France, but I don't see much difference from Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

mike65 wrote: »
    No, on their day they can beat any la Liga team. Thats all, its been that way for years now (2005-10) so no change really.

Well, on his day, Ronaldo could beat any team in the EPL, and Kaka could beat any team in Serie A, so now that you can put them together, they have huge potential. Consistancy is another thing.

PHB wrote: »
    Well, on his day, Ronaldo could beat any team in the EPL, and Kaka could beat any team in Serie A, so now that you can put them together, they have huge potential. Consistancy is another thing.

If only potential won things.:)

Well I can think of a few, and I can think of a few Lyon. The Lyon players went for MASSIVE fees and pretty much all had replacements ready. You might bandy about the term selling club because they play in France, but I don't see much difference from Arsenal.

The majority of players sold from Arsenal were because of footballing reasons and not money though.

• Advertisement

The majority of players sold from Arsenal were because of footballing reasons and not money though.

Adebayor, Toure, Flamini? You may be right but I mean it's a mixture of the 2, Essien went on strike to be sold by Lyon. Malouda and Benz wanted to leave aswell, not much you can do like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Adebayor, Toure, Flamini?

Toure was past his best and the offer we got from him was much better we'd get off anyone else.

Flamini was a case of Arsene refusing to break his wage cap. We also didn't get anything for Flamini so hardly can be used as an example of us being a selling club.

Adebayor was a case of for the money as well as the player wanting out.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Toure was past his best and the offer we got from him was much better we'd get off anyone else.

Flamini was a case of Arsene refusing to break his wage cap. We also didn't get anything for Flamini so hardly can be used as an example of us being a selling club.

Adebayor was a case of for the money as well as the player wanting out.

All similar reasons for Lyon selling players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Pellegrini has just said he wont quit despite being hounded by Marca journo's on the matter.

****ing Dunphy still criticising Ronaldo but takes the time to mention what a great player Kaka is. That man is a clown.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    Pellegrini has just said he wont quit despite being hounded by Marca journo's on the matter.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2010/03/10/1827372/real-madrid-coach-manuel-pellegrini-refuses-to-resign-after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

All similar reasons for Lyon selling players?

I've no idea tbh.

But if some were past there best and couldn't get on with other in the team, went on a free or were sold for big money then yeah I guess so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Pssst, Ronny.....

Slavery not looking too bad now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Cristiano Ronaldo: €80,000,000
    Kaká: €60,000,000
    Karim Benzema: €35,000,000

The look on Madrilenos faces as Lyon go through..... Priceless........

There are definitely some things money cannot buy.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

United get alot of stick for there midfield being fairly average and have no stars but you cant just fill a team of super star attacking players and expect to be a success(look at real).Park and Flecher are perfect examples of types of players that every team needs

Balance is important, Real were a shambles tonight because they thought they had the right to win because of who they are. The likes of Park and Fletcher have the right attitude and are willing to work as part of a team. Having Fergie as their manager doesn't hurt either I suppose.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

nullzero, im not gonna continue our "discussion" about Madrid on this thread also

but to call them a shambles tonight was a joke surely, on another night they would have been 3+ goals up at half time and had plenty of chances in the second half to score also, was one of those nights

eg, how often does the Higuain shot hit the post? 1 out of 10 maybe?

thats all im saying in here, especialy since this thread is the man utd v ac milan thread

btw i do find your hatred of Madrid heartwarming

love to see them fail in every competition they enter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

nullzero wrote: »
    Balance is important, Real were a shambles tonight because they thought they had the right to win because of who they are. The likes of Park and Fletcher have the right attitude and are willing to work as part of a team. Having Fergie as their manager doesn't hurt either I suppose.

None of the bolded sentence is accurate. Madrid were just unlucky tonight, clearly the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

kryogen wrote: »
    nullzero, im not gonna continue our "discussion" about Madrid on this thread also

but to call them a shambles tonight was a joke surely, on another night they would have been 3+ goals up at half time and had plenty of chances in the second half to score also, was one of those nights

eg, how often does the Higuain shot hit the post? 1 out of 10 maybe?

thats all im saying in here, especialy since this thread is the man utd v ac milan thread

btw i do find your hatred of Madrid heartwarming

love to see them fail in every competition they enter

I should have said they were a shambles at the back.
    My mistake for not clarifying that.
    They were poor at the back, Pjanic's goal was relativly soft when you consier the volume of Madrid players around him when he scored and challenge at least was warranted.

Madrid stated that they aimed to win the CL. The team they have isn't good enough and the way in which they ride rough shod over every other club on the planet puts them in a position where they get derided.

I was pointing out how Madrid could do with a steady influence to imporove as a team. The guy I quoted said (look at Real) in reference to poorly oganised sides packed full of stars.

I wasn't just arriving in here to slate Madrid. I was posting here earlier about the actual match.
    If you're going to be smarmy at least do your homework first.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

nullzero wrote: »
    I should have said they were a shambles at the back.
    My mistake for not clarifying that.
    They were poor at the back, Pjanic's goal was relativly soft when you consier the volume of Madrid players around him when he scored and challenge at least was warranted.

Madrid stated that they aimed to win the CL. The team they have isn't good enough and the way in which they ride rough shod over every other club on the planet puts them in a position where they get derided.

I was pointing out how Madrid could do with a steady influence to imporove as a team. The guy I quoted said (look at Real) in reference to poorly oganised sides packed full of stars.

I wasn't just arriving in here to slate Madrid. I was posting here earlier about the actual match.
    If you're going to be smarmy at least do your homework first.

what was smarmy?

you take offence very easily pal

• Advertisement
Advertisement