Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League - Last 16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

flahavaj wrote: »
    None of the bolded sentence is accurate. Madrid were just unlucky tonight, clearly the better team.

Sorry but I can't agree with that assessment.
    They didnt take their chances and were poor at the back. Lyon have beaten Madrid in previous seasons and had their share of chances too.
    Milan played United off the park in the first half at the San Siro. They didn't take their chances and got well beaten. Granted the two games were vastly different but over the two legs I think Lyon deserved to go through and were if not clearly then at least logically the better team.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

kryogen wrote: »
    thats all im saying in here, especialy since this thread is the man utd v ac milan thread

btw i do find your hatred of Madrid heartwarming

love to see them fail in every competition they enter

Want me to draw you a map?

You made an assumption and you were wrong.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

nullzero wrote: »
    Sorry but I can't agree with that assessment.
    They didnt take their chances and were poor at the back. Lyon have beaten Madrid in previous seasons and had their share of chances too.
    Milan played United off the park in the first half at the San Siro. They didn't take their chances and got well beaten. Granted the two games were vastly different but over the two legs I think Lyon deserved to go through and were if not clearly then at least logically the better team.

What does any of this have to do with your statement that Madrid thought they had a right to beat them? Dunphy-esque boll*x to be bluntly honest. You're letting your preconceptions about Madrid cloud your judgement, its an easy mistake to make but a mistake nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

btw i do find your hatred of Madrid heartwarming

love to see them fail in every competition they enter
    I wasn't just arriving in here to slate Madrid. I was posting here earlier about the actual match.
    If you're going to be smarmy at least do your homework first.

*facepalm* Dude, that was a olive branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Want me to draw you a map?

You made an assumption and you were wrong.

so your post wasnt bashing Madrid even when they have nothing to do with this match thread?

ok

i made the assumption you hate all things madrid alright

am i wrong if so i apologise for the assumption but im sure you will understand given the posts you have made on them

m@cc@ wrote: »

you may have to draw him a map

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

you may have to draw him a map

One that doesn't have Madrid on it clearly. I mean, I despise them but still.....

°°°°°

m@cc@ wrote: »

I made an assumption myslef there.
    I thought he was using the power of sarcasm.

My apologies Kryogen, your cartographic skills were beyond me there.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

so your post wasnt bashing Madrid even when they have nothing to do with this match thread?

ok

i made the assumption you hate all things madrid alright

am i wrong if so i apologise for the assumption but im sure you will understand given the posts you have made on them

I wasn't bashing them I was agreeing with the guy I quoted. i thought they were an unbalanced side that were made to look shabby in a two legged CL tie against a decent CL standard side.

If Madrid brought in a good manager and started to employ a logical approach to the game as opposed to buying big stars and firing managers on a whim I'd have as much time for them as any other club. They have lost their way as a club so yes I hate what they are now, not simply what they are, because that could change for the better. Basically they represent what is wrong with football as a whole and it's sad to think that footballs moist recognisable club carry's on the way they do.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Madrid have pretty much always been the same, always, go back through their history

not much changes with that team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Haha Ronaldo, haha Kaka, haha all of you

Allez les Gones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was thinking a lot about how you could possibly make the Real Madrid system work, with Kaka and Ronaldo in the team. It would seem that the only option atm is to play 3 across the middle to cover them defensively. But if they put Kaka as the front of a 3, Ronaldo on the right, and get Ribery for the left, the real problem they will have is that they lack a front man like say Drogba who can make a 4-3-3 system work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

flahavaj wrote: »
    None of the bolded sentence is accurate. Madrid were just unlucky tonight, clearly the better team.

Well, to me it's more clear that they weren't. They were perhaps lucky to not have been beaten worse all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

PHB wrote: »
    I was thinking a lot about how you could possibly make the Real Madrid system work, with Kaka and Ronaldo in the team. It would seem that the only option atm is to play 3 across the middle to cover them defensively. But if they put Kaka as the front of a 3, Ronaldo on the right, and get Ribery for the left, the real problem they will have is that they lack a front man like say Drogba who can make a 4-3-3 system work.

Surely you're not suggesting that they went out and bought all these 'galactico'(TM) like players with no thought as to how they would play together?

That's just not the Real way.

PHB wrote: »

Don't worry about it, you'll prolly get six months to test your theory at some stage with the rate they get through managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

So KaKa is after all just a heap of expensive Sh**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Not surprised Lyon went through last night. They've looked very impressive. They can play very precise, quick football when they're on form. Could go all the way this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭realmadrid

Lyon played better over the two legs.They got the imp away goal. Madrid had their chances. hilguain hitting the post etc. Getting used to it now 6 times in a row!
    ibrahomivic £60 million plus Eto...Id rather have Kaka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

realmadrid wrote: »
    ibrahomivic £60 million plus Eto...Id rather have Kaka

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭realmadrid

yep.

• Advertisement

I still think if Real manage to win La Liga the season has been somewhat successful.

Bordeaux can win and go through and that's 2 French teams in the final 8, not bad. Now if they just get a few injuries to key players and Lyon slip back to the top of the league, that would do nicely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

DazMarz wrote: »
    There are definitely some things money cannot buy.:D

As a Chelsea fan you'd know better than most :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

thought I heard the commentator saying the Raul is going to retire at the end of the season? anyone else hear that

He is only 32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The commenatator said that the talk is that the rumours state that he is headed to the States, not that he is retiring altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Very pleased for Lyon. Surprise package of the CL this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Prufrock wrote: »
    Very pleased for Lyon. Surprise package of the CL this year.

I feel like i hear this every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I feel like i hear this every year.

Well yes, you kind of do expect them to reach the last 8 but this year they started so badly in the French League and team underwent a major reconstruction so they have done exceptionally well to reach the last 8 again

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2010/03/11/1828348/sergio-ramos-3-0-prediction-provoked-confrontation-between

Just gets better and better, the fabulous life of Sergio Ramos goes on...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Ush1 wrote: »
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2010/03/11/1828348/sergio-ramos-3-0-prediction-provoked-confrontation-between

Just gets better and better, the fabulous life of Sergio Ramos goes on...:D

They are an arrogant shower tbh.

Last season acting president Balouda said they would whip Liverpool 3-0 and ended being whipped 4-0 by Pool!

Arbeloa said after the game that they were beaten by an inferior team!

Thats some fcukin statement when you consider their last seven meetings over the past 5 seasons were Real Madrid have failed to win a single game!

redout wrote: »
    They are an arrogant shower tbh.

Last season acting president Balouda said they would whip Liverpool 3-0 and ended being whipped 4-0 by Pool!

Arbeloa said after the game that they were beaten by an inferior team!

Thats some fcukin statement when you consider their last seven meetings over the past 5 seasons were Real Madrid have failed to win a single game!

Wasn't Arbeloa playing for Liverpool at that time though?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ush1 wrote: »
    Wasn't Arbeloa playing for Liverpool at that time though?:confused:

Arbeloa came out and said that after the Lyon match Wednesday.

Tuesday, 16 March 2010
    Chelsea v Inter Milan, (agg 1-2) 19:45
    Sevilla v CSKA Moscow, (agg 1-1) 19:45

Wednesday, 17 March 2010
    Barcelona v VfB Stuttgart, (agg 1-1) 19:45
    Bordeaux v Olympiakos, (agg 1-0) 19:45

97727694.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F56A9BB2F826A9D7192A0466C96F2D1972D7CAFDECDC929ABF

97727664.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F57A99EA2E4B0C2C432A0466C96F2D19720A0D5999B87262F0

97729640.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5C471505D35256B26D31CE908C262E0D9C348DD030F3C46FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Whoever kicked that ball at John Terry didn't kick half hard enough...

Barcelona
    Thierry Henry has returned to action as he featured against Valencia at the weekend and Zlatan Ibrahimovic will also be back for Wednesday's encounter after missing out on the weekend game due to suspension. Eric Abidal is training once more but Maxwell is likely to stay on as the left-back for Barcelona.

Stuttgart
    The Germans will have central defender Matthieu Delpierre back while Stefano Celozzi has returned to full training following illness.

Match Facts
    Barcelona have won only four of their last 11 Champions League games, never scoring more than two goals in each of those games.

The Catalans have won their last eight Champions League games against German opposition at the Nou Camp.

Stuttgart have failed to win any of their last 11 European games against Spanish opposition (seven defeats, four draws).

The German side has never made it past the last 16 stage of the Champions League.

Barcelona have won two Champions League trophies in the last four seasons.

Pep Guardiola's side have completed 89% of passes, the best ratio in the Champions League this season. The three players who have completed the most passes in the final third are all Catalan: Xavi (273), Andres Iniesta (169) and Lionel Messi (159).

Stuttgart have never failed to score in their seven Champions League games this season. They are the most prolific side in the opening 15 minutes, a period during which they have scored four goals in this season's tournament.

Chelsea
    Out: Ashley Cole (ankle), Michael Essien (knee), José Bosingwa (knee), Deco (knee), Henrique Hilário (groin), Petr Čech (calf)
    Doubtful: none
    Suspended: none
    Misses next match if booked: Michael Essien, Salomon Kalou

• With both Čech and Hilário injured, Ancelotti said Ross Turnbull would start against Inter, having made his Premier League debut for the club in Saturday's 4-1 win against West Ham United FC, explaining: "Turnbull played well on Saturday. He is a confident lad and we have a lot of faith in him."

• Ricardo Carvalho has recovered from a hamstring strain.

Inter
    Out: Cristian Chivu (fractured skull)
    Doubtful: Mario Balotelli (knee), Davide Santon (knee)
    Suspended: none
    Misses next match if booked: Lucio, Walter Samuel, Maicon, Javier Zanetti, Thiago Motta

• Balotelli suffered a blow to his right knee in training ahead of Friday's trip to Calcio Catania. He and Santon will have fitness tests on Monday.

• Wesley Sneijder was taken ill on Monday but should play.

Stupid stupid Sevilla. Thats Jiminez gone if they do not overturn this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

gimmick wrote: »
    Stupid stupid Sevilla. Thats Jiminez gone if they do not overturn this.

doub that but tbh CSKA have ****ing spiderman in goal and have a proper gameplan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dreamers75 wrote: »
    doub that but tbh CSKA have ****ing spiderman in goal and have a proper gameplan.

I havent been watching it but it seems Akinfeev has been brilliant

that true ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

My God, Sevilla are shíte. They had 35 minutes to turn this tie around and they never even tried.

My God, Sevilla are shíte. They had 35 minutes to turn this tie around and they never even tried.

yup :(

played for a 0-0 draw at home.

Akinfeev made 2 stunning saves early on, seriously ****ing spiderman. When he moves to a bigger club he will be the best keeper in the world unless LLoris moves 1st :pac:

At the end of the season he is out, and Manzano, the Mallorca manager in for my money.

At the end of the season he is out, and Manzano, the Mallorca manager in for my money.

Jimenez mada Sevilla a lot of money, be hard for the club to sack him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I feel sorry for Navas, he just ran and ran and ran, the rest of them were a disgace. Can't say I blame the manager here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Very "international" quarter final this year with 8 teams from 6 countries (assuming Barca can dispose of Stuttgart).

2 French
    2 English
    1 German
    1 Italian
    1 Russian
    1 Spanish

Jimenez mada Sevilla a lot of money, be hard for the club to sack him.

The fans do not want him, they never have. The Seville media do not like him as he has always been rather outspoken. They are in real danger of not qualifying for the CL next season, in a season they were expected to challenge for the title.

He might keep his job if the win the CDR, but even that may not be enough.

The fans do not want him, they never have. The Seville media do not like him as he has always been rather outspoken. They are in real danger of not qualifying for the CL next season, in a season they were expected to challenge for the title.

He might keep his job if the win the CDR, but even that may not be enough.

Ramos was always an impossible act to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Cascarino just started his analysis of CSKA by saying they're 'athletic, with a great young player called Krasach'

eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The fans do not want him, they never have. The Seville media do not like him as he has always been rather outspoken.
    Spanish telly interviewed the Sevilla president after the match and he backed him. He said the fans are always going to look to blame someone with things going wrong. Personally, the Sevillavplayers looked disinterested on the night.
    gimmick wrote:
    They are in real danger of not qualifying for the CL next season, in a season they were expected to challenge for the title.
    Where are you getting both of these from?

I don't understand how Sevilla were ever expected to challenge for the title this year. Barca were immense last year and Real splashed the cash.

From what I can make out, Sevilla spent €27m on Zokora, Negredo and Sérgio Sanchez. A pittance compared to what Real and Barca spent and far less quality coming in. Even Villarreal spent about €20m.

Seriosuly, who was expecting them to genuinely challenge for the title and why?

Also, there's a whole bunch of sides who could still qualify for the CL and, as it stands, Sevilla will get in. The group below the top two are all a bit shaky at the moment and there's still a while to go for them to recover. They can do it when they need to (against Valencia, away to Mallorca (first time Mallorca didn't win at home this year)).

• Advertisement
Advertisement