Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repayment of An Post Savings Certificates to UK

Options
  • 20-02-2010 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I moved to the UK a few years ago from Ireland. I still have An Post Savings Certificates in Ireland which I now want to cash in and lodge to my UK bank account.

Question1:
    When I get the savings certs repaid, an post will send me a warrant/cheque which can be lodged to a bank account. This will be sent to my mum's house (my original address). If I get mum to then post it to me in the UK, can I lodge this directly to my UK bank account ? Or do I have to lodge it to my Irish bank account first, and then do a transfer to my UK account?

Question2:
    Depending on what the answer is to Question1 above, I'm worried about how much this is going to cost me (the amount I'm cashing in is several thousand), so I'm wondering what's the most cost effective way of transferring a large amount of money to the UK ? Bank charges and all that.

Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The UK bank may not accept an An Post cheque for lodgement into your account, and if they do, they might send it on collection which takes weeks and can be expensive.

Have you still got an Irish bank account? If so then get your mum to lodge it in there, and write to your bank and ask them to transfer the money to your UK account, you'll still pay charges depending on the amount, but it'll be quicker and cheaper than trying to lodge it in the UK.

Advertisement