Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotted this bird show over Belfast

Options
  • 20-02-2010 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Over the middle building, you can just make out literally hundreds of starlings(i'm reliably told) putting on a show where they split and merge now and then. Video doesn't show their glory properly but it looked much better in the flesh!

Why do they do it for so long though? A man waiting longer in the train station than me said they had been doing that show over the same building for about an hour so far!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The invisible starlings cabaret show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

recedite wrote: »
    The invisible starlings cabaret show
    I'm glad it's not only me I thought I was going blind.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Eh, if you look hard enough and concentrate on the sky above the middle building, you'll see alot of birds moving about in the distance. They look like dots on the video, you'll see the alot of black dots(those birds) moving about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Nice all right. A bit more zoom needed though. They're right down over the buildings. Must have been a good show for the people farther over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

• Advertisement

Look at the building with the three rows of lights/windows up it. They're flying around over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yeh Angus, a bit of zoom could of helped :) Was a last minute snapping due to running for the train so didn't think of zooming(silly me :))

Why were the birds doing the display for at least an hour though?

They are waiting until night falls before settling (safety in numbers), and they probably enjoy it.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/starling/roosting.aspx

Apparently they are notorious in Rome. Terrible droppings problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVO827GK4tE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Themagerleague

Lmao at family guy, thanks for that Dublin :D

They do that to avoid/confuse predators like Peregrines much like a shoal of fish do to confuse a sea-lion.

Advertisement