Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

plannning permission nearly up

• 21-02-2010 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

hi, all how much of a new build needs to be completed before planning runs out,i have heard once you have you roof on ,your ok .im in the donegal area,thank s
    progress.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The house should be 'substantially' complete. The word substantially is interpreted slightly differently by most Councils, but usually means that the house should be weathertight, i.e. roof on and roof finishes complete, windows and external doors installed and external finsihes generally complete.

If you are worried or want a definitive answer for your area, no harm in ringing your local Council and getting their opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Is it possible to extend planning period without formally reapplying for a complete new planning application?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Casati wrote: »
    Is it possible to extend planning period without formally reapplying for a complete new planning application?

If the house (or whatever it might be) is almost substantiaily complete, then yes there is a process for extending the permission (I think usually up to wall plate level). Usually it's just a matter of writing a letter, but again each Council has it's own methods so this needs to be checked with the appropriate Council.

If construction has not even been started and planning is about to run out, unfortunately it is a case of re-applying for permission all over again.

Just to note that there is some sort of extension of planning for large developments which have not been commenced for economic reasons, etc., but this does not apply to one off houses and domestic extensions.

It happened to me! there were other issues that delayed the start of the build, had to start all over again - unfortunately, in the meantime they introduced the "development levy!" :(

The upside was that I had a better design for the reapplication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ddoc wrote: »
    hi, all how much of a new build needs to be completed before planning runs out,i have heard once you have you roof on ,your ok .im in the donegal area,thank s
    progress.gif
    Generally speaking (in Donegal) you can apply for an extension of duration of the original planning permission if you have it constructed to wallplate level. If the roof is on then I wouldn't see a problem.
    This and a €62 fee is all you need then.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The house should be 'substantially' complete. The word substantially is interpreted slightly differently by most Councils, but usually means that the house should be weathertight, i.e. roof on and roof finishes complete, windows and external doors installed and external finsihes generally complete.

If you are worried or want a definitive answer for your area, no harm in ringing your local Council and getting their opinion.
    Id agree in general with that but the phrase "substantial works" appears to be interpreted differently by different Planning Authorities so indeed it is recommended that you give them a quick ring to clarify.

As stated above if you have "substantial works" complete you can apply for an extension of the duration of the original permission. This involves filling out a single form and paying a fee only.

However if you have none or little work done you will have to make a complete new application.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If construction has not even been started and planning is about to run out, unfortunately it is a case of re-applying for permission all over again
    Agreed as per above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Hey all!Just wondering if its possible to re-apply for permission approx 1 year before planning runs out. I have permission that runs out in 2013 and may not need to build until approx 2015 or so! Could I put in a new permission application a year before my existing one runs out? If I get the planning there is not pressure on me to build but, if i dont I would still have time to get it 'substantially' complete.
    I assume the new application would have to be different from the original application. What changes would be substantial enough that they warrant a new application??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You could apply like you suggest but there is then the possibility that they simply tie you to the original deadline anyway as you wouold have to refer to the original planning application when applying.
    If you are happy with your design etc, it would be wise to get it roofed within the current time limit.
    If not totally happy, well take your chances but development plan could have changed substantially in the mean time leading to alot of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Question to guys in different LAs.
    LAs use either roof on or wall plates level as a measure of substantially complete.

Where an LA uses roof on as the mark. It's generally given that you can apply for an extension once you are at wall plate level.

Where the LA uses wall plate as the mark. At what point can you apply for an extension, I mean ou can apply at any stage, but at what stage is it a formality.

Advertisement