Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sales and Bargin discounts.

Options
  • 21-02-2010 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks

No to sure where this belongs but figure would give it a go here. There is 2 major retailers that advertise on the radios and television. They advertise quite a lot. Got me realising that they always seem to be having a sale. Then i realised it. "The always have a sale on"

So what does this tell joe public. either 1. They cannot trust there prices as being the genuine sale or 2. It in fact is not a sale its just a cheaper price based on what is there notion of suggested retail selling prices. There notion not anyone elses.

It gets you kinda feeling your being conned. Granted you should really shop around as the only way you can know a price is good is to test the item against market equivilents.

I always buy my electric appliences etc in a certain shop because I have always trusted there quality and customer service. I find that when they have a sale on it bearly saves me 10-20 euro over 500 so I figure I just get it when needed and chance my arm as a loyal customer on free delivery.

However I went into one of the always on sale shops recently and I noticed the item I was looking for was no cheaper in the colour I wanted but available for delivery now as apposed to next week. I pointed this out and asked if they would give me free delivery and they said know there price is already at rock bottom. I went back to my orig retailer waited the week and got free delivery.

Whats my point in all this? I think I would have far more respect for adverts if they advertised the shop and an improvement in customer service rather than a sale that is actually never on.

Having said that if we do not have the sense to discount these promises of sales and shop around its our own fault if we are ripped off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I don't care what a shop calls it. Whether they want to call it a Sale or otherwise. I see Sale signs around the place and as far as I can see they're there to entice you into the shop. The stuff that won't sell is thrown into a bargain bin at the front of a shop and called a sale, the rest is usual price or higher. Some shopkeepers must think we're right auld muppets.

I'll go in have a look around and if there is anything I like I'll look at the price ... if the price is all wrong I'll leave again or what I'll usually do is make a note of what I've found and see if I can find it cheaper online or in the North.

SD

Advertisement