Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blurry photos

• 21-02-2010 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi,
    I was out this morning in the forest, took a good few photos but the problem is the all seem blurry,
    I'm using a Canon 400d with the 18-55 lens that came with it,
    It was cold this morning maybe it was fogging up the lens?
    It was cloudy this morning I was out just after sun rise if this helps.

any help greatly appreciated,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

piddler wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was out this morning in the forest, took a good few photos but the problem is the all seem blurry,
    I'm using a Canon 400d with the 18-55 lens that came with it,
    It was cold this morning maybe it was fogging up the lens?
    It was cloudy this morning I was out just after sun rise if this helps.

any help greatly appreciated,
    Thanks

Best thing to do is post one of the images with exif data intact so people can pore over the details. Chances are your shutter speed was too low because of the bad light conditions, leading to camera shake and hence blurry photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Obligatory 'are you on a tripod?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 piddler

I was using a tripod a cheap one but using the timer to try and stop any shake,
    Can't seem to be able to upload any (the boardband i have is rubbish)
    Was out again this afternoon with the same set up and no problems,
    I'll try again later to get one up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

How blurry is blurry?

Could you simply have knocked off auto-focus on the lens?

around the edges is blurry the colours seem to blend into each other
    was definately in auto focus
    I'll try get one up later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

If you can't post the photo, can you give the exif data. Specifically I think we'd be interested in the shutter speed. Also you say you were on a tripod so my next question would be was there any wind at all?

Calina wrote: »
    If you can't post the photo, can you give the exif data. Specifically I think we'd be interested in the shutter speed. Also you say you were on a tripod so my next question would be was there any wind at all?

F-stop f/4.5
    Exposure time 1/40 sec

There was a slight puff of a breeze every now and again but nothing serious

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nonsequitir

You can also get a less-than-sharp image in lower light conditions if you've got a filter fitted (particularly if it's a cheaper one)

If the tripod is not the steadiest, then you can still get shake from the mirror movement when the shutter actuates, you can use the Mirror Lockup function in your Custom Settings to mitigate this.

It looks more like a fog one looking at the last pic
    is there anything that I could use to stop the lans fogging in furture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nonsequitir

You'll typically get fogging when you move from a hot environment to a cold one (or vice versa). And it's not a healthy thing for a camera or lens without weather sealing!

The advice that I've been given in the past is to put your camera in a sealed/airtight bag (like a zippy bag) with silica gel in it, and let it climatise for up to 5 minutes before you start shooting. Return it to the bag when you're moving back inside and allow it to climatise again.

Advertisement