Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge Cutting

Options
  • 21-02-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

I have a Griselinia Littoralis hedge (sorry couldn't find another name for it) which was planted my the previous owners of my house. It is just over 10ft tall and is stopping a lot of sunlight from reaching the lawn, which results in serious moss growth. Regular fertilizing still doesn't prevent this. So I was looking for advice on cutting it down to about 5ft. Just wondering is a chainsaw the best option as obviously the branches at this level are very thick and too thick for the hedgecutter. Will the hedge grow back ok? When is the best time to do this? i.e summertime?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

now is a good time, with a bushman saw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

You will need to first clear as much as you can using an eletric hedge cutters (or similar). This will let you see into the hedge better and get further into the hedge to cut branches.
    You will then need a saw and a loopper or crange (not sure of the spelling).

It is a slow process but it is like splitting a hedge that has got too big. You have to go in and start cutting away at it, that is where the long arms of the crange come in.

It is a case of cut a bit, pull it away so you can get in at the next few branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Aim to cut it a couple of feet below the desired final height. That way the new growth will hide the thick cut stems & it will be easier to keep the top neatly trimmed.

I use a chainsaw with a fine chain to make a neat cut & also a pair of extending handle ratchet loppers that easily cut through 2"

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Thanks everyone, all I need now is some good weather .................... wont hold my breath!

Advertisement