Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pergola Advice - DIY?

Options
  • 21-02-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Looking for advice from anyone who has built their own Pergola.

From previous posts I can see Larch is a favoured wood and Lisnavagh is a good place to source from Co. Carlow.

Has anyone got any specific advise from their experiences?
    I could just go and get something from a Garden Centre/DIY store but then it wouldn't be custom and presume even that treated softwood won't last as long?
    Also whats best way to set in the ground to avoid the wood rotting after >10 years.
    Issue with DIY is while I am quite handy I am not a carpenter and wondering do timber merchants cut wood with slots based on a spec?

Thanks in Advance!

Redman

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Maybe you could post up a few pics of what type of design that appeals tp you, and I,m sure you,d get loads of good guidance.

Might be wise to say what diy tools, hand and electric you have , and then the advice would be geared towards what tools you have available.

With regards to attachment to the ground, there are a few options here. You could use steel post sockets to suspend perimeter joists above the ground, and then build your main structure up from that. You could also put a small concrete strip around the perimeter, and set the sockets into the concrete, and then build up from that.

As for your main structure, the simplest way for you, maybe , to build each side section seperately, either six or eight. And then join them together on the corners, either to a post, or to each other, and cover the outside of the corner joint with a cladding strip.

You mention about cutting slots in your post. It might be worth buying a small router from aldi or lidl, and cutting your own slots. Apart from the satisfaction of doing it your self, Its a lot cheaper than a joinery.

If you have a chop saw and a router, its enough to do what you need to do:)

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Thanks Kadman, if fact I don't have either! Have some saws and some chisels....seems like I'll need to keep an eye out on Lidl!

Will get some designs and put up

Cheers

Advertisement