Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion cont: Tuesday, Wednesday - more heavy snow risk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

derekon wrote: »
    The words "clutching" and "straws" comes to mind :)

Derek

well just reading on other sites such as nw as well who i suppose could be incorrect just like here in the past. they seem to think this 18 gfs is off skew and not in line with ecm and meto. even met eireann in their charts for the days ahead had 4 degrees on saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

i'm too far gone like gollum. i can never have enough of the precious:D

looking ahead, thunderstorm like we got in May 2001 would be good. those came all the way up from Biscay. the lightning was spectacular- intense fork lightning in multiple directions at the peak of it!

I am not sure if it was the same storm you speak of, but I do remember one bleak evening around that time when we had bad thunder just before dark. What was memorable was later that night we had a vivid lightning show for hours on end as the storms intensified over Mayo and even made headlines the next day.

I am hopeful that this summer will deliver some good storms as they seem to have decreased in frequency and intensity over the last few years.

Please summer 2010, bring us our storms back! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

well just reading on other sites such as nw as well who i suppose could be incorrect just like here in the past. they seem to think this 18 gfs is off skew and not in line with ecm and meto. even met eireann in their charts for the days ahead had 4 degrees on saturday.
    The change in the model from one run to the next was very dramatic alright.

Derek

"He who laughs last, laughs loudest"

So goes the old saying. Not sure if it has any basis in truth, but I just thought it sounded good in this particular context....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yes in fairness all she(Evelyn) said was less cold. i think less cold would in a normal winter for us be refered to as cold/ below average temperatures.
    so while we likely won't get snow anytime soon after tomorrow, spring like temperatures won't be seen for a while yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    The change in the model from one run to the next was very dramatic alright.

but anyway i'm no expert. hopefully tomorrow will be the start of the upgrades!

I am not sure if it was the same storm you speak of, but I do remember one bleak evening around that time when we had bad thunder just before dark. What was memorable was later that night we had a vivid lightning show for hours on end as the storms intensified over Mayo and even made headlines the next day.

I am hopeful that this summer will deliver some good storms as they seem to have decreased in frequency and intensity over the last few years.

Please summer 2010, bring us our storms back! :o

that seems like the storm i'm talking about. there was low rumbling from teatime onwards, then as you say there was a spectacular lightning show after dark.
    i think it came up from Biscay.

that seems like the storm i'm talking about. there was low rumbling from teatime onwards, then as you say there was a spectacular lightning show after dark.
    i think it came up from Biscay.

don't get me started on low rumbling. Memories of January's West Clare Yeti are haunting me again :confused:

don't get me started on low rumbling. Memories of January's West Clare Yeti are haunting me again :confused:

Did you ever find out about the source of that creepy noise Wolfe, I ask because I had a similar experience last January (2009) on the Galway/Roscommon/Mayo triple point. It unnerved me for days afterwards.

Did you ever find out about the source of that creepy noise Wolfe, I ask because I had a similar experience last January (2009) on the Galway/Roscommon/Mayo triple point. It unnerved me for days afterwards.
    it could only have been the storm brewing up waves on the atlantic coast and the sounds of crashing waves echoing through the surrounding hills. That or my tumble dryer :p wait...i dont have a tumble dryer. How spooky

• Advertisement

it could only have been the storm brewing up waves on the atlantic coast and the sounds of crashing waves echoing through the surrounding hills. That or my tumble dryer :p wait...i dont have a tumble dryer. How spooky

:eek:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

You know it's looking like there'll be very little snow at lower levels for any length of time anywhere, maybe half an hour or so, then rain. The way I'm looking at it the cold temperature profile at the leading edge (ie. the lightest part) of the precip band is just not wide enough to support snow below around 150m in the midlands, rising as the system moves north. There will be a very tight ThetaW gradient, meaning rapidly rising snowlines. The strong low level winds ahead of and during will ensure a well mixed boundary layer, therefore minimising the cold at the surface. These winds will also eliminate evaporative cooling, so, unlike Saturday, things are pointing towards the wrong side of marginal. (Evaporitive cooling inside Saturday's system was largely responsible for the snow at low levels, as winds were light enough not to affect the process. This is also evidenced by the fact that the snow was preceded by rain, which was outside the area of cooling).

Overlay these two charts as an illustration of what I mean (as a rule, the 2°C ThetaW line represents snow above around 150m)

700hPa RH (the 90% line marks the start of precipitation)

10022318_2218.gif

10022318_2218.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Derek

Mate cop on please.

Please respect other members on here.

Winter does not mean snow and freezing conditions.

The fact is the medium term outlook is for unsettled and cool weather to dominate, perhaps snow will become less of a feature.

NOTICE
    to all members..
    • I have noticed things becoming very catty on here lately and i don't like it one bit.
    • Be it slagging off Met Eireann with no back up.
    • Getting in rows with each other over the Mets forecasts.
    • Getting in rows with each other over your own thoughts.
    • Stupid comments.
    • Personal digs such as in Dereks post above.

Things are probably going to turn abit quieter over the coming months as winter clears away, lets not leave the busy winter behind on a bad note.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Nacho, we have a season of thunder coming up till then. Snow cannot match the awesome power of a good summer lightning storm. Forget your lust for snow, and enjoy the possibilities ahead!

Move up to Wicklow and Ill tell you well in advance when they're coming. Migraine central :(

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

its looks like this setup is just like from lastime cork got flooded and we had snow showers with no stop for the whole day and night :D this will be repeated i guess but with a lot more snow:P

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

What is a girl to do...abandon all hope or clutch at straws. Oh the decisions.

Some on here have been heralding the end of winter since end of Jan, and it's still feckin' freezin so I guess it's just a waiting game. Just been looking at some stats and a temperature of -6 was recorded in May before now...:eek: (is May spring or summer btw ? )

In my mind winter is over when i don't need gloves and the insides of my ears don't hurt in the wind.

I've decided...straws it is...will ultimately lead to dissapointment but a more interesting journey.

I've decided...straws it is...will ultimately lead to dissapointment but a more interesting journey.

The many journeys and regular letdowns make me much more appreciative of snowfall when it does happen.:)

by the way, do RTE Radio 1 still do a forecast at 11.55?

by the way, do RTE Radio 1 still do a forecast at 11.55?

No, they now broadcast it at 11.55. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Su,

I sincerely hope you're wrong there about below 150m. :)

Nacho,

Try the Australian Alps - June onwards, plenty of snow there. There is definitely demand for an indoor snow dome in this country, one of those where you can go skiing and sledging. I was in one the once in England, and it was very snow-satisfying, just like the real stuff.

And I think if there ever is one, it should be close to Tuam, but just over the border in Mayo, just to add to Deep's frustration that he never gets the snow. ;)

A tune to keep us occupied up till the 11.55 met broadcast:

• Advertisement

John Eagleton just mentions that rain may turn to snow for a short while tomorrow as it pushes north. Tis something I suppose.

eagle said rain

i just googled rain to find out what it means and the definition is 'Not snow you Clare eeijot":(

nite nite all

John Eagleton just mentions that rain may turn to snow for a short while tomorrow as it pushes north. Tis something I suppose.

yeah better than nothing. still i got the feeling he thinks it's unlikely but is just covering himself after they got caught out with the snow to end the so-called big freeze on January 13'th.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Evelyn on TV just said there would be snow tomorrow moving up over Ireland. Was this a repeat of 9pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The liklihood is tomorrow there will be a period of snow for the Midlands during the afternoon turning to rain.

Areas of Ulster could well see some decent accumulations towards dawn Wednesday, and it is uncertain at this point whether the cold boundary will push far north enough to thaw this or whether it will stay around middle ulster or perhaps the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Just a quickie - I'm driving to Cork later this morning - do I need to bring a snow shovel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Nope, just bring a normal one. If it does not come in handy for clearing snow, it will come in handy for digging trenches to relieve flood water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Not wrote: »
    Just a quickie - I'm driving to Cork later this morning - do I need to bring a snow shovel ?

You could use it to fill in potholes caused by the weather, of course, and poor quality road building:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Looks like milder air from the South will be coming in sharper and quicker then expected. Even Northern areas will struggle to hold on to falling snow. Sorry if anyone is disappointed but that is the way the cookie crumbles. It's a very narrow margin - a tight rope we have to thread here in order to forecast. But there will be further opportunities if you miss out this time later in the week. Winter is far from over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It is a sickner alright DM2, I felt this was too much influenced by Biscay to deliver snow... then again tomorrow could be totally different on the ground - who really knows?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement