Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone else surprised by landon donavan

• 21-02-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

i have to say that i think he's being a very clever signing by moyes(loan i know could be made perm)..ive seen him play in the mls and he did stand out for the galaxy but never thought he could be as good a player in the premiership which is a huge step up in class obviously...i thought he would just be a bit part player for everton....again well done david moyes for spotting the oppurtunity for taking him over..talkin about 7.5 million to sign him on a deal...is he worth that..so far ...yes
    not an everton fan by the way:P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

nope, Im not surprised by Donovan, he looked quality in MLS and in the National team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Moyes is one of the shrewdest managers in the league. It's not often that he gets it wrong.

I knew little of Donovan to be honest, apart from his failure in Germany, but with Moyes signing him I'd a feeling things would go okay for him. He's been better than anyone could have really expected though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Moyes is one of the shrewdest managers in the league. It's not often that he gets it wrong.

I knew little of Donovan to be honest, apart from his failure in Germany, but with Moyes signing him I'd a feeling things would go okay for him. He's been better than anyone could have really expected though.
    Beattie, Kroldrup and Van der Meyde spring to mind but no more than any other manager :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I have always been impressed when I have seen Landon Donovan play for America.

I think some of the reason that he has not been in the premiership before is that the American FA pulled out all the stops to keep America's star player playing in the MLS.

I am delighted that Everton got him over on loan. A player of his ability deserves to play on the highest stage possible.

I hope he stays longer than his loan period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

blinding wrote: »
    I hope he stays longer than his loan period.

If he does, I'd imagine Beckham would expect an apology from him.

From Donovan's facebook this morning.

"Wow. I didn't think anything could top the atmosphere from last week's win against Chelsea but I don't think I've ever been in a louder stadium than yesterday. Thank you all for another incredible memory...I am so proud to play for this club"

Moyesy, sign him up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

has he not been quite hit and miss since he came?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    has he not been quite hit and miss since he came?
    His fitness was looking a little under par but he's put in great shifts most games, he was the only one who really stood out for us in the derby too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd have him at Pool even just for his corner taking ability. Would be awesome to have someone who can, y'know, actually take them.

• Advertisement

we have people who can take em, Stevie just won't let em near them!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    we have people who can take em, Stevie just won't let em near them!

ha, true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I've always loved Landon's ability. I was always confident that he could be a standout PL player, although his form in Germany was a bit worrying. I think he'd be a great addition to the PL, and it's a shame if he doesn't return eventually as he's nearly accomplished everything he can in America, and if he returns home and stays there, he might not get the career recognition he deserves.

Saw his interview yesterday and he comes off as such a classy respectful guy.

Really hope he comes back on a permanent deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Voltwad wrote: »
    From Donovan's facebook this morning.

"Wow. I didn't think anything could top the atmosphere from last week's win against Chelsea but I don't think I've ever been in a louder stadium than yesterday. Thank you all for another incredible memory...I am so proud to play for this club"

Moyesy, sign him up!
    ten months later
    "training cancelled. No one called me" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Everton are flying, but its also no great coincidence that its witout (cough) hibbert...

with him in the team I reckon the opposition have a good 10-15% more ball as he just blasts it up the pitch all the time.

without him, we keep it on the floor, and have the ability to beat title holders.

Moyes is the only manager to have the balls to sign players like donovan, not to mention buy players like gosling (thank god he wont be referred to 'danny gosling merseyside derby', after yesterdays game :rolleyes:).

his desision not to sign owen was fully vindicated also I think. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Everton are flying, but its also no great coincidence that its witout (cough) hibbert...

with him in the team I reckon the opposition have a good 10-15% more ball as he just blasts it up the pitch all the time.

without him, we keep it on the floor, and have the ability to beat title holders.

Moyes is the only manager to have the balls to sign players like donovan, not to mention buy players like gosling (thank god he wont be referred to 'danny gosling merseyside derby', after yesterdays game :rolleyes:).

his desision not to sign owen was fully vindicated also I think. ;)

:confused: I like Moyes but the balls to sign a player like Donovan. huh?
    And dozens of players get signed by PL teams from the lower divisions every season.

JPA wrote: »
    :confused: I like Moyes but the balls to sign a player like Donovan. huh?
    And dozens of players get signed by PL teams from the lower divisions every season.

and players from the MLS?

they might get 'signed' by epl teams but whether or not they have any impact on the 1st team is entirely another thing.

unless keeping recaro seats warm counts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

yeah in fairness its a gamble buying in from the mls...altidore came with a big enough rep and hasnt done much(think he had a poor spell too in spain? i think)best yanks so far has to be howard again at everton which was another big gamble that has worked for moyes and fridel another keeper...freddie adou has come to nothing as the biggest tipped american star....was jhn harkes for wednesday the first american to play in england?dont think it was keller for leicester(another keeper)..and i forgot hanneman yet another keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

and players from the MLS?

they might get 'signed' by epl teams but whether or not they have any impact on the 1st team is entirely another thing.

unless keeping recaro seats warm counts...

Because they are generally rubbish is why they aren't signed. Donovan is one of the USAs best players, ditto Dempsey at Fulham. Guzan is at Villa and gets games, Altidore at Hull (via Spain) is making little impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

yeah dempsey aint too bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm surprised by Donvan I have to say, I always knew he had ability but I thought myself the reason he was never successful in Germany was because he has a bit of an ego, i.e. one of these players who likes to think themselves bigger than the club.

Although, judging by his performances for Everton I seem to have got that evaluation horribly wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I reckon you could count on one hand the number of times Phil Neville kept the ball on the ground against Sporting.

I wasn't surprised too much by Donovan, I watched the Confederations' Cup where he was great, and I was very excited when I heard we were getting him.

I'm surprised by Donvan I have to say, I always knew he had ability but I thought myself the reason he was never successful in Germany was because he has a bit of an ego, i.e. one of these players who likes to think themselves bigger than the club.

Although, judging by his performances for Everton I seem to have got that evaluation horribly wrong :D

I get the impression he's matured a lot as a player and person over the past few years. I'd say circus beckham coming to Galaxy has probably given him a bit of perspective and tempered the ego a bit too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

the most surprising thing for me is his pace,i remember against Man u yesterday he gave Evans about a 5 yard start and still got to ball first(i know evans isn't the quickest but still)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Sorry. but you're definitely wrong here. Hibbert actually passes the ball out. He also can hit it long, like any defender, but Phil Neville is the one who hoofs it at every opportunity... It is so infuriating when I see Neville do it. He's a good full back, but his distribution is horrible.

With regards to the success of Donavon, it doesn't surprise me one bit. He's a quality player. I've watched him on many occasions in the MLS and US national team. We need to do everything to keep him...

be pretty funny if he considers stayin at Everton after the **** he gave Beckham.

He has since made up with Becks afaik. Anyway him staying at Everton is unlikely, unless we pay off his new contract at LA.

A Smashing player he is. seamless integration into the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Always been a class player so no I'm suprised. It didn't work out for him in Germany but he was young. It wasn't much of a gamble to sign him considering the deal and his ability. Americans tend to do alright in the Prem anyway. There's a very healthy list of performers - Friedel, Keller, Howard, Harkes, Dempsey, Reyna, Max-Moore, Bocanegra, Convey, McBride. Probably a few more as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Always been a class player so no I'm suprised. It didn't work out for him in Germany but he was young. It wasn't much of a gamble to sign him considering the deal and his ability. Americans tend to do alright in the Prem anyway. There's a very healthy list of performers - Friedel, Keller, Howard, Harkes, Dempsey, Reyna, Max-Moore, Bocanegra, Convey, McBride. Probably a few more as well.

Spector would be another one. Roy Wegerley (sp?) for Coventry is another one I recall.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

alexi lalas....:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Cobi Jones

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who could forget Roy Wegerle?

Advertisement