Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

With or without a ring - swimming question

Options
  • 21-02-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I just found out the swimming pool in my apartment complex allows children to use the pool for 2 hours a day on Saturdays and Sundays. I am all excited as Aidan just turned one so I feel it is the perfect time to get him into the water, but here's the thing, I have been told by some people you are better off not using floatation devices for the first few times and judt hold him in against me and walk around so he gets more confident, while others swear that you need to have them in a baby swim seat from moment dot. I am very confused, I want it to be a pleasureable experience so that he will want to go back in again.

Any ideas? Thanks for all comments in advance.

PS his dad will be there too to insure his safety! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sometimes they can end p being more dangerous then anything.
    I would definately get him used to the water with you first and then decide if you would like to use arm bands or those buoyancy aids build in to kids togs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

just bring the floats with you, use them if you think you need them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My fella was one in November, when i bring him swimming he prefers when I hold him than when I have a float, I think it is more secure for him and also its a bit of extra body heat for him when he is snuggled in beside me.

I usually bring the float with me, But he wont stay in it for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

OP I teach swimming to kids and had a 9 month old baby in the pool before, sans floatey devices

My advice is to ditch the armbands and rings altogether. I know that might sound horrific but at your child's age, they will NATURALLY make somewhat correct movements in the water, they kinda do a thing a little bit like breast stroke.
    The problem with things like rings and arm bands is they don't allow the body to sit naturally in the water. A ring, imho, is downright dangerous and if you use arm bands, all it teaches is a strange way of behaving in the water because you completely immobilise the arms.

Much better to just hold baby in the water on their front (they'll tend to keep their head out of the face) and chances are, he'll just start making the kicking motions all by himself. If not, just move him in a little arc around you and he should start kicking then. Just allow him to kick around a bit really and then when he gets old enough to understand, you can skip the armbands bit and just teach him to swim. (imagine trying to learn to swim when your entire upper arms are immobilised! :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses. I took him on Sunday, no ring, no arm bands, he screamed like a banshee for 10 minutes in fear and latched onto me for dear life, but after a few minutes, he relaxed and I placed him on his back in the same postion he is in his bath seat and he kicked the water for ages. I will bring him twice a week for a while until he becomes more confident, I don't think the ring would have been the best option for him after the last day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'd say a seat rather than a ring. On holidays we shared a villa with family , my daughter, who is not a bad swimmer for 3, 2 at the time, was beside me in the baby pool, all the kids were kicking and laughing and splashing me, I turned as there was water in my eyes, they continued kicking, my daughter had turned upside down and couldnt get herself topside because of the ring, her 6 yr old cousin pulled her up before I even knew she had gone under. It is not the first time I heard of it happening, she wore a blow up swimsuit every day after that and had no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

smelltheglove - that happened to my friend's son while he was in a seat! We were both there at the time and just flipped him back immediately and no harm done. So we stuck to the armbands for those two (my son and hers) and when we had another one each they were going round on their own in armbands at 10 mths quite happily. They were all in the water weekly from 2-3mths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Its crazy isnt it, a safety device can be harmful, I didnt think it would happen with a deat though.

For my daughter I used a blow up swimsuit after this, luckily we had brought it along, the eldest was well grown out but it was big for the youngest, we actually brought it thinking a nephew might use it. The swimsuit itself had a blow up around the tummy and back area. Bought it in Heatons a couple of years ago for €10. It also had short sleeves and short legs on it too so kept her safe enough from burning. We also bought one of the blow up vests for both herself and her younger cousin but we found that the back of them pushed their faces down into the water quite easily so didnt use them either. Elverys have a decent selection of safety suits too as far as I recall.

Advertisement