Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any interesting history in the Cherrywood area?

Options
  • 21-02-2010 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

I am after moving to the Cherrywood area of Dublin 18 and I am very moch interested in local history. I have read that there is a ruins of a Castle in the Shankill area, however at present that is the only bit of local information I have come across and even at that there is no information on it's location!!!!

Does anyone on here know of anything interesting in the local area worth taking a look at?

All suggestions are very welcome:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Lots of interesting history in the area and I'm sure that somebody with a lot more local knowledge than me can point you in the right direction. For me one of my favourite places was the old Harcourt Street railway viaduct at the Brides Glen - haven't been there for more than 25 years but I expect it's still worth a look. The former prison at Shanganagh Castle which closed a few years ago might be worth a look - good old Wikipedia offers some more useful information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shankill,_Dublin

The old mine workings at Ballycorus are also mentioned and well worth a look. St.Columcille's Hospital at Loughlinstown used to be a Workhouse Hospital and was at the centre of the rescue plan during the aftermath of the 1867 Bray Head Railway disaster:
    1633703.jpg

There was a British Army camp at Loughlinstown prior to 1798 but I have no idea where - probably under a housing estate now. :)

Advertisement