Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Field Study Write Up

Options
  • 21-02-2010 1:36pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, I'm really confused here.

Our teacher gave us back our practice booklets (which we wrote up in 5th year) and the real booklets, and told us to copy in the diagrams into the real thing over the mid-term.

However, while she has written on my field study booklet that my presentation is very good, she noted that a lot of it is in the wrong location. I am doing topic 6 (change in land-use settlements) and therefore I have a lot of sketch maps and street maps, as well as tables and graphs of results. Beside every sketch map, street map and table of results, she has written that these need to go on graph paper. However, my graph paper is already used up with bar charts and pie charts.

Every single thing, apart from the sketches of the land-use models, on the normal blank pages is apparently supposed to do onto graph paper. The problem lies in the fact that there is 7 blank pages for diagrams, and only 4 graphed pages. I really don't know what to do. If I don't do anything, and wait to ask her, I'll get in trouble for not doing the homework. If I do transfer things in, I could potentially mess up the real booklet (this isn't a practice one - it's the real deal).

What should I do? What is allowed to go on the blank pages, and what must go on the graph pages?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Wait and ask. Better to get in trouble for not doing your homework than to do it and make a mess of your booklet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Lawliet wrote: »
    Wait and ask. Better to get in trouble for not doing your homework than to do it and make a mess of your booklet.

That's true! I'm going to do the diagrams that I know for sure go on the blank pages, but leave the bits I'm unsure about until tomorrow.

Do you know whether it matters what order you have your diagrams in, as long as you label them clearly?

Well what we were told to do last year was to put in all the diagrams etc. in order of how I referred to them in the written text. I mentioned that we did the field study at two river sites; a straight stretch of river (fig. 1) and a meander (fig. 2) and so the first two blank pages of the booklet were sketches of the sites and labelled fig 1 and 2. And then I mentioned the equipment used so the was fig 3 and so on and so forth.

But I wouldn't image you'd lose marks for not having them in order, I think it was more for neatness sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cove.Throne

Anyone have any idea about how much over the word count is acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

I know of a lad who wrote 1800 words and lost no marks for it so don't worry about it. be concise and to the point but not so much so that you sacrifice some information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 miaowmiaow

Hey fellow geography kiddos,

I'm aiming to get the over 80 points at least in the fieldwork, and I know that might be tricky, but in class we have a free rein over our practice booklets and to be honest, we're a class of relatively low achievers. I only got 68 out of 100, i'm just confused about the results section and finding more SRPs that I can't imagine being relevant!

Does anyone else find it so vague? I don't know what the examiners really want, and I could really do with getting the field work up to scratch.

Anybody in the same boat, or any past pupils o
    able to offer much needed advice? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

What I found good when I was doing my report was to type it in to word, meaning it counted up the words automatically for you. You could chop sentences and move them around, and not have to go doing the word count again. Then when you're happy with it, you could write it directly from the word doc into the final booklet.

I have the text of my booklet from 2008 which got near enough to full marks in the LC. If anyone wants to see it for guidance, send me a PM. It was on Processes of erosion in a coastal environment , or something like that.

dambarude wrote: »
    What I found good when I was doing my report was to type it in to word, meaning it counted up the words automatically for you. You could chop sentences and move them around, and not have to go doing the word count again. Then when you're happy with it, you could write it directly from the word doc into the final booklet.
    That's actually a good idea, I wasted so much time last year just counting words! Definitely doing that this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm doing mine tomorrow, heading out to Wicklow somewhere. I havn't started writing anything up yet but i'm gong to be busy over the next few weeks. Great tips though :)

Advertisement