Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This internet lark will never take off

• 21-02-2010 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

Clifford Stoll writing for Newsweek in 1995:
    After two decades online, I'm perplexed. It's not that I haven't had a gas of a good time on the Internet. I've met great people and even caught a hacker or two. But today, I'm uneasy about this most trendy and oversold community. Visionaries see a future of telecommuting workers, interactive libraries and multimedia classrooms. They speak of electronic town meetings and virtual communities. Commerce and business will shift from offices and malls to networks and modems. And the freedom of digital networks will make government more democratic.

Baloney.

Well worth a read.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I enjoyed that, he was right about some things
    the Internet is one big ocean of unedited data, without any pretense of completeness. Lacking editors, reviewers or critics, the Internet has become a wasteland of unfiltered data. You don't know what to ignore and what's worth reading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Came across that report before, though it was funny.
    He obviouly didn't talk to the boys at Darpa before he put his foot in it! LOL

I actually enjoyed that. What a difference a decade and a half makes.

Imagine what we will be like in 2025.

Advertisement