Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wooden flooring question

Options
  • 21-02-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hey gang

hope yer all well.

im over in germany at the moment, and moved into a perfect room, which i am renting.

The room is perfect in everyway bar one thing: its really dusty, and the carpet isnt helping.

so i want to fit wooden flooring.

i cant modify the room in any way.

i was wondering if it is possible:

1. to place wooden flooring on top of carpet - the carpet is very thin, and very flat.

2. get away with NOT using glue in any part of the installation process

3. to not use skirting or anything around the edges, and leave the tongue/groove edge exposed against the wall or built in wardrobe, for example

4.to get way with NOT using insulation/foamy stuff, and simply place the wooden flooring down on top of the thin/flat carpet?

i also wish to be able to take the wooden flooring with me, when i am done, as i am moving to new places around germany with my job all the time, and wish to be able to pack up the wooden flooring, and do the same thing again, if the same scenario arises.

hope i have made it clear.

All the best,

Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

well the gap at the edge is only a cosmetic problem that cant really be helped. ive never done it but i have seen existing carpet used as under lay and it didnt cause a problem but no glue could cause you trouble. i would say that all the joints in the floor will open with movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

can buy click flooring which requires no glue. dunno about takin it up and down but i just layed it and seems easy. would you not use something else a bit more suited to the job. i know u can get interlocking flooer tiles also mite be a bit more removable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

carpet wouldn't be a problem...click-lock flooring would work grand...no problem taking it up.....
    http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60070014

30496_PE119079_S4.jpg

Also you could cut it pretty tight...there's very little expansion/shrinkage in laminate flooring

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

del88 wrote: »
    carpet wouldn't be a problem...click-lock flooring would work grand...no problem taking it up.....
    http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60070014

30496_PE119079_S4.jpg

Also you could cut it pretty tight...there's very little expansion/shrinkage in laminate flooring

+1:cool:

kadman

Advertisement