Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the Netherlands, 1 Gbps Broadband Will Soon Be Everywhere

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Jumpy wrote: »
    I wonder sometimes why they dont use waste pipes in those areas that dont have septic tanks.
    I would think that they would be easier to run than a whole new dig and when the cables reach the house it would be a simple job to reseal the pipe around the extruding cable.
    Fibre is waterproof.

The good news is that they are starting.

http://www.forfas.ie/media/forfas100121-Regional-Competitiveness-Agendas-Overview.pdf
    Roll-out of Broadband in Dundalk
    ‘Last mile’ connection issues continue to hamper the roll-out of broadband access to many SMEs and households. National level efforts will have to be made to provide an appropriate framework for the roll out of broadband to premises. However, local broadband access solutions are possible in the interim, as is demonstrated through Louth County Council’s recruitment of a UK based company, H2O Networks (see link below), to provide a fibre connection from its buildings to the local MANs and backhaul infrastructure.

H2O use existing waste-water infrastructure to obtain access to buildings for fibre connections, avoiding much of the cost and disruption of digging to lay fibre underground. Such novel connection techniques could be exploited in other areas to improve local broadband access in a cost effective way, in advance of a more comprehensive response to the issue from public or commercial interests.
    http://www.h2onetworksdarkfibre.com/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Jumpy wrote: »
    What incentive do they have to do so? Re-read the part I stated in my earlier post that says "Companies exist to make profit".
    It would require a goverment scheme. Which in theory could be run via ESB Supply, however, if it wasnt thought of during the boom, you are certainly not going to see it right now.

They have no incentive. There is no vision or plan. If most of the posters are representative of the country at large - (vested interest or fat and happy with their existing service and the future for themselves and their children...) I wasted my time posting the link to the NY Times article here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

probe wrote: »
    They have no incentive. There is no vision or plan. If most of the posters are representative of the country at large - (vested interest or fat and happy with their existing service and the future for themselves and their children...) I wasted my time posting the link to the NY Times article here.

They are not charities. If it could increase their profits in the long run then sure they would plan it. What you want is a utopia though. Sure it would be brilliant, and there are lots of things that would improve if companies did things for people as opposed to financial growth, but thats capitalism for you.
    Push the government, they are the ones that are supposed to improve the country, pushing corporations will get you nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I am not a vested interest.
    I am not fat
    I am not completely happy with my service
    I am currently unemployed so not secure for my future

Sorry to not fit your stereotypes, and I still disagree with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ranicand, keep the conspiracy stuff off this forum please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ranicand's nonsense removed. So back to the topic at hand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Eamon Ryan, our minister for communications only announced 1 fibre project in all of 2009 and that was to Fibre the Fish out in Galway Bay.

SmartBayMap.jpg

Here is Ryans announcement in July , action 6 of 6 involves the installation of fibre while all the other ones use existing fibre.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/2009/Making+the+smart+economy+real.htm

And you expect a muppet like Eamon Ryan to come up with an FTT(not fish) plan ???? Get real :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

How long does it take you to download an HD movie (BluRay standard) at 50 Mbits/sec? 5 to 10 hours..... And that is just 1080p stuff.

3D TV is a lot more bandwidth hungry - 3D TVs are on the market already.

After that gets boring along will come holographic imagery which will fill your living room with a 3D experience.

Do they dig up the road and install new kit every time we move to another generation of video technology?

Or install an infrastructure that can handle the future?

50Mbits /sec = 6.25Mbytes/sec = 375Mbytes/min = 22500 Mbytes/hour.

Seems to me like an hour or posibly 2 if it was a really high quality HD movie.
    So 5 - 10hrs is way off, or is my maths wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

This thread makes for depressing reading...so when can dublin consumers avail of of 1 GB speeds-sometime in the next 100 years? So much for the 'smart economy'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    This thread makes for depressing reading...so when can dublin consumers avail of of 1 GB speeds-sometime in the next 100 years? So much for the 'smart economy'.

It was never a smart economy, it was a low tax economy. Smart economy was the bs that FF kept on about. Ireland has always been a good bit behind most of Mainland EU in the tech stakes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement