Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you a competent photographer?

• 21-02-2010 2:18pm

Hey all,

Still new to the whole world of photography and learning as I go along. I was just wondering, to you boardsies, who I'm sure range from guys who makes thousands a week and are working non stop as photographers, to those who don't know what the M stands for on the settings dial, would you consider yourself a good, competent photographer?

I know that's a very broad question, so to try and narrow it down a bit; if I asked you to take photos at a wedding, a birthday party, etc. or even just a few portrait shots, would you be capable of doing it to a professional(ish) level?

For example, if you were doing a wedding, and it was gonna be a 24 hour wedding (thus, although you'll get good light, as time progresses you'll also be dealing with crap light and awkward tired people, etc.) upon arriving to the venue, would you feel fully confident that you could pull it off and impress people (and yourself) with your work, or would you be dreading the thoughts of walking in and having to see your photos?

Also, as with goes hand in hand with such a question, how long have you been dabbling in the world of photography? Have you only got a camera a few weeks and already have it down, or are you at it years, and still finding it a struggle?

Do you get by with a single (D)SLR and lens, or do you have a plethora of camera equipment?

What pieces of equipment do you feel are the absolute essentials to own? That is, if you bought a new DSLR tomorrow, would you have a flash gun or vertical grip straight away? Is there a particlar piece of equipment you never leave the house without? Have you always used the one brand or have you owned gear by every photography company at some stage?

I'm aware this is a bit of a long-winded and bulky post, but I'm really just curious about you guys, and photographers in general. I just want to find out how long it took you guys to get comfortable with yourselves and build your skills up to a solid level. What kit you used to help you out. Are you still using your first (D)SLR or have you gone through loads of bodies.

So go on men and women... Give me your photography biographies. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I consider myself an okay landscape photographer and a terrible businessman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Fenster wrote: »
    I consider myself an okay landscape photographer and a terrible businessman.

Did you read any of the post??Seems like you're just posting for the sake of it.
    I'm aware this is a bit of a long-winded and bulky post, but I'm really just curious about you guys, and photographers in general. I just want to find out how long it took you guys to get comfortable with yourselves and build your skills up to a solid level. What kit you used to help you out. Are you still using your first (D)SLR or have you gone through loads of bodies.

I attempted to reply and got an error saying an important security token is missing and to contact the administrator,I clicked back and all my post was gone.

Hey all,

Still new to the whole world of photography and learning as I go along. I was just wondering, to you boardsies, who I'm sure range from guys who makes thousands a week and are working non stop as photographers, to those who don't know what the M stands for on the settings dial, would you consider yourself a good, competent photographer?
    In short I'd say almost,In long I'll respond to each of your questions.
    I know that's a very broad question, so to try and narrow it down a bit; if I asked you to take photos at a wedding, a birthday party, etc. or even just a few portrait shots, would you be capable of doing it to a professional(ish) level?
    I think I would,Depending on alot of factors but if they were all in my favor then I think I could get the shots I wanted.
    For example, if you were doing a wedding, and it was gonna be a 24 hour wedding (thus, although you'll get good light, as time progresses you'll also be dealing with crap light and awkward tired people, etc.) upon arriving to the venue, would you feel fully confident that you could pull it off and impress people (and yourself) with your work, or would you be dreading the thoughts of walking in and having to see your photos?

I think if you're not confident yourself you'll mess up a lot so I would go in there being confident, See how it goes. I'm sure I'd come out with a lot of shots I'd be happy with and that I'd be confident to show to the clients, If you're dreading it then obviously that area isn't for you, Or at least you shouldn't be shooting that event by yourself yet.
    Also, as with goes hand in hand with such a question, how long have you been dabbling in the world of photography? Have you only got a camera a few weeks and already have it down, or are you at it years, and still finding it a struggle?
    I started at 14,With a fully manual digicam, The only setting being the Iso from "low" to "high"!From there I got a fuji "bridge" and this certainly opened up my eyes to the quality of images cameras could capture..

At 16 I got my first DSLR and since then I've been shooting alot and know my way around the 3 slr's I've used.
    Do you get by with a single (D)SLR and lens, or do you have a plethora of camera equipment?

I had a choice between having two OK cameras or one great one and I went for the great one! Only have two lenses but I feel they Suit me perfectly, I will of course constantly be buying more equipment but for now my 70-200 and 20-40 do a good job.
    What pieces of equipment do you feel are the absolute essentials to own? That is, if you bought a new DSLR tomorrow, would you have a flash gun or vertical grip straight away? Is there a particlar piece of equipment you never leave the house without? Have you always used the one brand or have you owned gear by every photography company at some stage?

For what I shoot (mostly Sports) My 70-200 f/2.8 would be a must for most events, And It's also good in so many other situations, A flash depending on the event(Wedding,Party,Prize giving) would be a must and wouldn't leave my camera.

But they are more rare events I cover.

I think i began to get comfortable and confident with my photography when I first got payed, Photos published and after doing a week of work experience with a local paper.

I went through 5 camera, 3 of which were DSLR's

Thank you for the insight Ricky, but may I ask what age you are? You mention that you began at 14 and got your first DSLR at 16, but, unless I've missed it, you don't say what age you currently are (just curious as it'd be handy to know how long you've been playing with DSLRs).

Thank you again.

Thank you for the insight Ricky, but may I ask what age you are? You mention that you began at 14 and got your first DSLR at 16, but, unless I've missed it, you don't say what age you currently are (just curious as it'd be handy to know how long you've been playing with DSLRs).

Thank you again.

Crap! Sorry I put that in the original post that didn't post properly :pac:
    I'm 18 now!

• Advertisement

So two years and you've had three DSLRs? You move fairly quickly!

Thanks again though for the thought-out reply. I appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

would you consider yourself a good, competent photographer?

Without being egotistical, aye, I would.

I'd look forward to it, and get excited about it, jobs like weddings are great for that kind of thing, there's a constant buzz, everyone's on a bit of adrenaline the day before and at the start of the day, nerves are everywhere, then everyone is full of smiles, followed by everyone being full of booze. I love showing my photos to clients afterwards, and aim to have a good selection of them done on the night of the wedding itself. Those 'ooh's and 'ah's are what drive me to keep on shooting :)

I got my first (crappy) camera about 7 years ago now, but my old man's always been interested so I've always been around an SLR. I've been working nearly 5 years now I think? From odd jobs here and there to fully fledged work. I also used photography in my college degree, although it was never a technical study of it, more on the conceptual end.

Hah. An Aladdins cave of equipment. I love experimenting with different aesthetics.

If I was buying a brand new DLSR for myself tomorrow... If it didn't have a battery pack/vertical grip, I'd buy it straight off, I find it gives me much better balance with my camera, my ring finger and index finger tend to not have much to hold onto otherwise.

The only other thing I'd buy is a 50 1.4 - It's my most used lens, and I really do love it as much as I mistreat it.

I own *loads* of different brands. For my DSLR/work, it's Canon - purely because it's what I was started off with and invested into. I'd never (seriously) say that another brand was better/worse - I think the whole Canon/Nikon argument is a load of dickie.
    Are you still using your first (D)SLR or have you gone through loads of bodies.
    No, unfortunately. I gave a lend of it to my old man last year when he was heading off on holidays, and it got nicked. Not impressed :-/

Did you read any of the post??Seems like you're just posting for the sake of it.

+1

I'm more surprised it wasn't a bitter and sarky comment tbh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hey all,

Competent, yes. Good is for other people to decide.

Wedding? No. it's not my area of speciality. I'm best known as a watersports photographer. I've done some children's portraits that have been well received but there's an element to the business side of things, interacting with customers that is 10,000 miles removed from actually taking photographs.

I flatly refuse to do weddings. But that being said I deal with extremely difficult weather conditions in terms of what I do do. And yes I have pulled it off. I've shot 1500 photographs at day at kite competitions and slide showed them the same evening at a function.

I've had a camera since I was 11. That's [a long time]. But that's not a marker of good versus bad.

Most of what I do is off a single DSLR although I have film SLR equipment as well. I have quite a bit of equipment but a lot of my best stuff is done with one or two lenses.

Most DSLRs come with a medium zoom kit lens, I think on the entry level Canons it is 18-55mm or 17-85mm. If you do not know what photographs you want to take, this is a useful range to start with. if you wind up interested in sports you will be looking for zoom, for landscape, possibly wide angles. If you do not know about photographs or the kind of photographs you are taking, you should buy as little as possible. I had a camera for years before I bought a flashgun for the simple reason that 95% of what I shot was outdoors and I simply had no call for one. Vertical grip I still don't own. If you want something beyond the basic kit lens, most people would recommend a 50mm 1.8 lens and I would add that for zoom a basic 70-300mm is a good learning lens. But they are not necessary.

Currently I shoot with Canon equipment; I have used Olympus equipment when I was shooting with film and have also done some stuff with old Minolta film gear.

I have a camera bag. The only piece of equipment I regularly leave at home is the heaviest of the big zoom lenses.

It's not kit that helped me to get here, it is other people who know more than I do. Other photographs. I am on my 3rd DSLR but that's only because I drowned the second one in an accident in Brazil, it would appear. I would probably be still using the first one (it's still working) except I needed a step up on a particular feature for sports photography.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Fajitas is merely passable as a photographer, all he tskes pictures of is dead cows :)

Kidding, Faj is a terrific photographer.

Me? I'm competent, I've been at it 30 years on and off and am still learning, especially when it comes to interacting with people. Settling a nervous sitter is an acquired skill, and isn't easy.

I've loads of bits and pieces ranging from 4 film cameras, a compact or two, two dSLRs, a bunch of lenses and a couple of flashes. But if there's one thing I couldn't do without, it's a 50mm f/1.8. Cheap as chips and a totally brilliant lens, I take 90% of my work with it. As for brands, I bought into Nikon a few years ago and that's where I'll be for a while, not because they're better/worse or anything, just felt right in my hands.

Once great piece of advice I got was "zoom with your feet", in other words, move your ass around instead of zooming, much better for composition and understanding of subjects. And take loads of pictures. LOADS.

H

I'm enjoying reading these. A lot of useful information in the above posts too. Thanks for the posts guys. Hopefully some other users will throw in a post too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Would you consider yourself a good, competent photographer?

Good/Competent? At a pro standard, no. Far from it. But I do know what the M is for and how to use it. I am very competent at pointing the camera at a nice scene and taking a relatively crap shot though if that counts for anything?

Wedding? No. Although I predict being asked to do a wedding soon. And I predict me saying No. Birthday party? Hrm. Maybe. Both are leagues apart as far as I'm concerned. I'd have no problem dealing with all the light etc yadda yadda... Confident I'd come out with good photos? I'd be confident I'd come out with some good photos. I wouldn't be confident I'd impress people though. Not yet, some day maybe!

Edit: Oh, and in regards to a few portraits, I reckon I could do a fairly good job with those.

About 8/9 months on a DSLR. Had point and shoots all my life from both film to digital. But never really took it seriously until about 1 year ago. Hope that somewhat answers your question!

I suppose I could be considered as having a "plethora" of equipment. I have a full range of lenses from 12mm to 200mm including a 35mm prime. Have a couple of film cameras too, a bronica and a lubitel. 1 cheap flash. But, I don't have top lenses (i.e. 2.8 top quality glass etc)

That's a difficult question for me. My style is still wildly variable. But I never leave without my prime lens or a remote trigger. On saying that, if I was to sell all my equipment and end up with 1 camera and lens etc I'd probably sell all my digital and keep the Bronica! That's what I enjoy using the most right now.

There's a lot of brands to have considering using them all. I have owned something by the following: Nikon, Olympus, Bronica, Kodak, Lubitel, Vivitar... think that's it.

I'm on to a D300 (from a D60). Still building my skills. Film is where it's at with me right now though. I'm at a comfortable level with all. Just still very far from the standard I want to be at. There's something that hasn't clicked with me yet, but I'm enjoying trying to figure out what that is... if that makes sense.

NO! Oh wait, I just did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Ok, bit embarrassing replying to this, but sure,what the hey!
    Ummm, kinda. I that, I'm happy enough with the results I'm getting at the moment, but in regards to your wedding/birthday party question, no,I wouldn't be confident at a big massive event that was important on a personal level to someone. I have shot at a conference, which went grand, but the sentimental side of things wasn't exactly key... Also, that kind of photography doesn't really float my boat!

My Dad has always taken photos, he was a photojournalist when I was younger (nothing madly exciting, but still pretty cool when you're 7!!) and he taught me the basics on his old film cameras when I was little. I just really got back into it all about 9 months ago, after my Mam passed away and I needed a hobby!

I'm a student. Everything I have right now is basic. I have my Dad's old Canon 10D (which is ENORMOUS but I love it!) and a 35-80mm lens, a flash gun that again, my Dad gave me which I haven't tried out yet, and a grip that I don't really use that much. Oh, I do have a tripod though. :D

I started off buying a Konica Minolta 7D in the summer and about 6 weeks after I got it it got stolen from inside my car. I was miffed. My Dad has always shot with Canon, so when he upgraded I was able to get his old camera for cheap off him.

I dearly want a 50mm, but with funds pretty low, it'll be a while before I can manage one.

That's pretty much me. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Fajitas is merely passable as a photographer, all he tskes pictures of is dead cows :)

....and sheep.....

2DC1BF6C2D6A4B2B9F4368AD89EDB7ED-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Thats a hard one. IMHO some people are better at certain things when compared to others. Photography is a vast topic. Landscapes, Portraits, Weddings, Still life, Gallery Projects, Commercial...just to name a few...

Just because a guy is good at Weddings doesn't make him competent at Landscapes. He might be good with people and is able to get the best out of that high pressured situation. And vice versa. A person who is used to getting up at 4 in the morning to get "perfect light" and going back again and again until the shot is exactly how they want it, mightn't be able to get the best out of a fast paced situation.

Competency is often about practice and intent.

And to answer your question, yes, in certain situations I believe I am quite capable. I know my camera and I know how to use it. I mightn't get the best out of every situation but who does?
    As I've done all of the above, the short answer is yes.
    But I'm more than aware that there are many better than me.
    A bit of both. I'd be confident that I could take the photo's, but my ability to deal with the situation, the people, the pressure, would not be as good as others. Therefore my photographs wouldn't be as good as someone that has alot more experience is that area.
    I first picked up a camera when I was 10 or 11 and kept it up through out my teens. Gave it up for a while in my 20's. Am now in my 30's and enjoying it again. Like many others I'm loving digital. It makes life so much easier.

Knowing your camera is essential. Missing a perfect photograph because you are fiddling with buttons is hell - I've been there. Getting comfortable with your "level" is vital. Learning and practicing should be done at home and it takes time.
    I have bits and bobs. Less than I'd like, but perhaps more than my wife considers sane. :D
    The first thing I'd by is a carry case and a UV filter. Protection of my new toy is very important. After that I'd get a flash gun - if I didn't have one already. Maybe a couple of filters.

The only thing I never leave the house without is a spare battery. It doesn't matter what you bring with you, if the battery is dead you are f**ked. Again been there, done that.

I tend to be brand aware. But that wouldn't stop me from doing something different.
    I'm still building, both skill level and kit.

But isn't that the beauty of photography? There is always something else to buy, there is always something else to learn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Eh? I answered the salient question: I am an okay, but not great, photographer. And a terrible businessman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Hey all,

Yes to competent at what I do, good for my clients to decide, I havent had a complaint anyway.

Yes
    I'd be very excited, I love every moment of a wedding, the more challenges the better!

I have loved taking photos since getting my first camera at around 11. I had all pictures developed in my uncles shop so never dabbled with darkrooms. At the age of 17 I bought a scanner and would scan the images onto computer and work with them on my software, I did this for years. As a single mother I could not afford a dslr, I used only single use cameras until I met my now husband who bought me a digital camera and then about 4 years ago bought me a dslr.

I have 2 cameras, Nikons. A nifty fifty is essential, I couldnt live without my 2.8 either, most used lens is 17-55 2.8. Flash gun is essential, I prefer a battery grip, I never leave the house without spare battery, battery charger, spare camera, spare lens, spare memory, spare flash, i.e. when I have a job, I bring EVERYTHING I can. I have only used Konica Minolta and Nikon in dslr. Loved my Minolta but they sold out so I went to nikon.

As above I started properly when receiving a gift of my first dslr. I learnt how to use it and took photographs of friends and family constantly, I decided to start working in the area after being asked by acquaintances to cover family occasions for money, I did a course, I did a lot of cheap and free work and honestly I still do a fair bit of cheap work, but I do it because I love it and being paid for it is a huge bonus. I have been working as a photographer for 2 years, I do around 15 weddings a year, I cover parties, I do family portraits and I spend 3 days a week in my market studio taking childrens portraits.

My biggest sacrifice for the love of photography? I wanted a new camera badly, my husband bought us a holiday for our first wedding anniversary, he had the spending money ready for it and I spent it on a camera, so we stayed home. For months he referred to the camera as his lost holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I guess, yeah. The problem is though the more I learn about it the more I realise I know bugger all. About *really* good photography I mean.. The last year in particular has been an eye opener in that respect.

Yeah I'd be grand. I've done it and was as pleased as they were with the images. I can't say I enjoyed it at all though. Portrait stuff yeah, but not weddings.
    , as with goes hand in hand with such a question, how long have you been dabbling in the world of photography? Have you only got a camera a few weeks and already have it down, or are you at it years, and still finding it a struggle?

Em.... four years I think? I wouldn't say its ever a struggle - I honestly love taking photos more than anything else I do. It can be hard though when you're in a funk and you're not enjoying what you're producing.
    you get by with a single (D)SLR and lens, or do you have a plethora of camera equipment?

I have 2 DSLRs (one old entry level and a better one) and various film cameras that I play around with :) Its not a matter of getting by more than not being able to say no when I see them cheap on sale somewhere..
    pieces of equipment do you feel are the absolute essentials to own? That is, if you bought a new DSLR tomorrow, would you have a flash gun or vertical grip straight away? Is there a particlar piece of equipment you never leave the house without? Have you always used the one brand or have you owned gear by every photography company at some stage?

Started with a pentax mount film slr that I still use. I switched to Canon when I first went digital so I've stuck with that in DSLR stuff. The film stuff I've bought since is liquorice allsorts.

Essentials? My 24-70 2.8 is rarely off the body. And when it is off the 50 1.4 is on :)

Ta daaaa! Hope it helped :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I wonder are d'oul IPPA monitoring this thread :eek:

I'm saying nothin :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Hey all,

I would consider myself good at what I do, but the clients opinion is the most important for anything work related.

Yes, very much so

Love it, the darker the better. I would have no problems doing a slideshow after it too.

About 5 years seriously

Loads

Always been a Canon man, never leave the house without the 50mm f1.4

Lots of bodies but very comfortable now with the 1dmk3 and 5d. Took about 3 years to get comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

No. But every day in every way, I am getting better & better....

[could I] take photos at a wedding, a birthday party, etc. or even just a few portrait shots, would you be capable of doing it to a professional(ish) level?

Wedding - no. Portrait - Outdoors yes, indoors/studio no. Party - probably.

For example, if you were doing a wedding, [.....]or would you be dreading the thoughts of walking in and having to see your photos?

I'd get some good 'uns but not consistently good throughout the whole event.

[...] how long have you been dabbling in the world of photography? Have you only got a camera a few weeks and already have it down, or are you at it years, and still finding it a struggle?

Started 27 or so years ago, used 35mm SLRs, was OK till gear all stolen then marriage, mortgage, career, kids, so didnt get back into it again till 2 years ago.

40D + 10-20mm, 17-70, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 70-300mm f/4-5.6. I have more gear than time! I rarely use the UWA. I love the 85mm.

What pieces of equipment do you feel are the absolute essentials to own?

ummm... A tripod. A lens of any reasonable focal length that will go to f/1.8 or better.

Using canon now. Have used Praktika, nikon, pentax.Will probably stay with canon at this stage cos of the lens & flash investment. But - I think they are all pretty good these days. I bought the 40D cos it gave best bang/buck at the time.

I'm aware this is a bit of a long-winded and bulky post, but I'm really just curious about you guys, and photographers in general. I just want to find out how long it took you guys to get comfortable with yourselves Oh, I am comfortable with meself alright :D

and build your skills up to a solid level. That now is a different story :rolleyes:

What kit you used to help you out. Are you still using your first (D)SLR or have you gone through loads of bodies. Still on my first DSLR. Still on my first body too. Kit that helped me most is....books.

• Advertisement
Advertisement