Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Crashed ? STOP 0x0000007E

• 21-02-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi my computer has crashed and when safe mode is chosen or last mode that worked - XP still does not work , on screen a list of white text with black background appears. I think it has happended because microsoft automatic upgrade is on and a service pack/download ??? not sure ?? has caused a problem.

I can not find my original home edition XP disk which I was hoping to boot from. Can I boot from another persons disk if I find one also if I purchased windows seven would I beable to boot from this.

Finally can a boot disc be downloaded - Any tips appreciated

The error message is STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc000001d, 080537008, 0xf792d508, 0xf729d204

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

I am in the same boat there is a thread on it in the windows sub fourm;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭30kmph

Malaka wrote: »
    Hi my computer has crashed and when safe mode is chosen or last mode that worked - XP still does not work , on screen a list of white text with black background appears. I think it has happended because microsoft automatic upgrade is on and a service pack/download ??? not sure ?? has caused a problem.

I can not find my original home edition XP disk which I was hoping to boot from. Can I boot from another persons disk if I find one also if I purchased windows seven would I beable to boot from this.

Finally can a boot disc be downloaded - Any tips appreciated

The error message is STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc000001d, 080537008, 0xf792d508, 0xf729d204

thanks

This is exactly what happened to me. How the feck do I fix this? I had that automatic update thing too...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

i remember than error...drove me nuts..upgrade to seven and itll be gone forever

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Malaka

Hi Cheers for tip

I am getting someone to mail me Windows XP Home Edition - From what picked up if I boot of this and enter product key number found on computer should be ok - Would this also be the same for the Windows 7 Upgrade - can I also boot of this ?

Thanks

Hi Folks,

If I put in a windows CD will it reinstall and sort out this problem for me? How did you get on with this Malaka?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

How long are you experiencing this problem?

Just since the the start of the week. I shut down the computer on saturday I think it was, and this triggered the "install updates" from microsoft. Turned it back on on monday and couldn't get into windows. Can't make head nor tail or it...

Hi 30kmph

I ended up with the problem on my backup old laptop windows XP, as well as desk top (dell windows XP). I have not received disc for desktop yet but did find recovery disc for SOny Laptop - I rebooted from this using barcode number on back and it now works fine but I have lost everything know now to backup my music pics etc. Will let you know how get on with home edition disc when arrives :)

This could be the problem caused by installing the most recent kernel update when a rootkit is present on the system. Many people are blaming MS when in fact their atapi.sys driver has been infected by a rootkit.

What's a rootkit? Any ideas how I can fix this?

Malarka - will I lose all my programmes and all my files if i get a windows disk and re-install? I would have thought there must be a way around this...

• Advertisement

30kmph wrote: »
    What's a rootkit? Any ideas how I can fix this?

Malarka - will I lose all my programmes and all my files if i get a windows disk and re-install? I would have thought there must be a way around this...
    I have my hard drive out and hooked up to a laptop all my files are still there so i am removing them and storing them on cdr's before i try anthing like reinstalling windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 homehelptech

30kmph, if you do a normal install then you will overwrite all your files. Some Windows XP CDs have a repair mode on them which allows you to install Windows over the old install without deleting your files. It depends on the disk you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

as a first step - try booting into recovery console from an XP CD and try scandisk /R this often works or as mentioned try a repair if you have XP pro (but AFAIK this option is not available on OEM Cd's)

I've got a really old gateway pc in the attic, I suppose about 10 years old. Would I be able to plug my hard disk in it and save my files on it? Would there even be a port that I could connect it to on the older computer?

I'm not too worried about the programmes, I can always get open office online anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

I've got a really old gateway pc in the attic, I suppose about 10 years old. Would I be able to plug my hard disk in it and save my files on it? Would there even be a port that I could connect it to on the older computer?

I'm not too worried about the programmes, I can always get open office online anyway.

If the old gateway pc is 10 years old then no doubt it will use a ATA/IDE inetrface for the hard drive. So as long as your current hard drive is IDE/ATA then you will be fine. But if your current hard drive is more recent and is SATA then you won't be able to hook it up to a motherboard that old.

IDE Interface on the motherboard:

4mal_ide.jpg

IDE interface on the Hard drive:

16837_hard-disk.gif

Sata interface on the motherboard:

sata_port.png

Sata interface on the Hard drive:

250gb-desktop-3-5-sata-hard-drive-dhd-s250.jpg

I did it threw a usb port , do you have one one the gateway ??

A rootkit is a nasty type of virus which uses a driver to dig itself deep into the system and make it extremely difficult to remove while the system is running. You could try to use something like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and see if that helps. Otherwise you'd need to scan the drive while your operating system isn't running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

If it's any use to anyone I have found the "web" version of windows update in XP (which is on the start menu and launches in explorer) to be far more reliable than the system tray one.

i turn off the automatic downloads and just let it alert me, then download and install them via explorer.

for whatever reason, I've often seen the system tray icon tell me it's downloading updates only for them to seemingly disappear and never reach installation, or to start installing but seemingly crap out without showing any alert or error. never had that problem the other way.

I did it threw a usb port , do you have one one the gateway ??

Yes, I won't be able to do this until the weekend. Hopefully I can transfer all the files to the gateway, can I burn programmes to CD from the hard-drive?
    A rootkit is a nasty type of virus which uses a driver to dig itself deep into the system and make it extremely difficult to remove while the system is running. You could try to use something like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and see if that helps. Otherwise you'd need to scan the drive while your operating system isn't running.

I have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware but the problem is that I can't get into Windows. I recently got hit with that "Internet Security 2010" virus and installed Malwarebytes which sorted it out....have been running it regularly since to be on the safe side!

How do I scan the drive while the OS isn't running?

you scan it threw the gateway , you may have do an advanced scan so you can scelect the drive , i did mine using an old dell laptop ( inspiton 6000 ) and it took 5-6 hours:( do this scan before you even look on the drive , after that you can acess it as if it was a normal exteranl hard drive

• Advertisement

If you have the ability to do so, by far the best way is to physically remove the disk and scan it using another machine.

Karsini wrote: »
    If you have the ability to do so, by far the best way is to physically remove the disk and scan it using another machine.

So I can borrow a laptop, plug my hard-drive in by USB, scan it and get rid of any possible infection? If I then put the hard-drive back into my pc, will I be able to get back into windows...instead of this blue screen of death?

So I can borrow a laptop, plug my hard-drive in by USB, scan it and get rid of any possible infection? If I then put the hard-drive back into my pc, will I be able to get back into windows...instead of this blue screen of death?

Yes you can remove the viruses that way but you'll need to do something else to make Windows start again. I sent you a PM.

Karsini wrote: »
    Yes you can remove the viruses that way but you'll need to do something else to make Windows start again. I sent you a PM.

Ok thanks alot. I will let you know how I get on. Cheers

If the old gateway pc is 10 years old then no doubt it will use a ATA/IDE inetrface for the hard drive. So as long as your current hard drive is IDE/ATA then you will be fine. But if your current hard drive is more recent and is SATA then you won't be able to hook it up to a motherboard that old.

Sata interface on the Hard drive:

250gb-desktop-3-5-sata-hard-drive-dhd-s250.jpg

It's an SATA hard drive, the same as above picture. It has no USB port on it; so how does one connect it to another computer as an external drive?

Hi just wanted to let you know I used a Home Edition XP disc and reinstalled / restored the XP operating system. I kept all my pics music etc. Only problem is that I now have two users who are both administrators (at log in) should not be hard to sort out. May copy all stuff on to discs and then reinstall XP from scratch and start a new cheers :D

Malaka wrote: »
    Hi just wanted to let you know I used a Home Edition XP disc and reinstalled / restored the XP operating system. I kept all my pics music etc. Only problem is that I now have two users who are both administrators (at log in) should not be hard to sort out. May copy all stuff on to discs and then reinstall XP from scratch and start a new cheers :D

So Malaka, should I just get a XP home edition cd and reinstall, rather than tricking around with the hard drive etc?

Hi 30kmph

I would say go with the XP install when loaded add your product key. You get two options when first enter disc install or repair I chose install after a while get another question install or restore I chose restore. Do not want to make complicated... I would use disc. I have tried to fix radios etc and been annoyed when by ancident a solder / wire connection has been damaged ok :D

Advertisement