Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I try get a reference?

Options
  • 21-02-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is the right forum, so please bear with me!

I am in the process of applying to a college in the north, and they need references. I've never had to do the reference thing before, so I'm not sure of the procedure/protocol.

Should I ask my current employers? It's a shop job, and I have been working there for 6 months. They have a high staff turnover rate, and employ almost solely recent graduates, so I am fairly sure they are used to people leaving to go back to college. They don't know I am applying, but I think it's an open secret, as I have told fellow employees.

I think the main problem is that the boss is a bit of a psycho. Could asking for this pose a problem for me, ie. could she hold it against me or anything?

So would it be a bad idea to ask them for a reference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Get reference from old school or college. Or get fake one from a family friend who owns a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

I have already emailed lecturers to get a reference, no reply. Not sure why though, I was polite and gave them all the info I thought they would need to remind them who I was?:confused:

I'm not sure a fake reference is the way to go though...

The last place I worked was in a bar, so I don't think that would look good on an application form!

What do people think?

Keep ringing the college. Hound them until you get a reference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you've recently been in education UK colleges prefer you to give academic references. Ring, email and/or turn up to an old lecturer and force them to do one for you. You're entitled to one. Alternatively, write one yourself and ask one of your old tutors to put their name to it.

Also contact the college admin about it not just lecturers. They may not even work there any more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement