Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Carbon Really Faster Than Aluminium?

• 21-02-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Im considering buying a new carbon fibre road bike for my triathlons this summer, and want to know if they really are that much faster than aluminium bikes? Say 20km takes you 40m on an aluminium bike how long will it take you on a carbon fibre one ? Is there any percentage for converting times?
    I know theyre about 3 times the price, are they worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

39 minutes and 15 seconds.

but seriously, its not 'faster', it will be ligther and more stiff.. maybe. If you want to trim time and already have a tri bike/bars then focus on training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭aero2k

sliksurfer wrote: »
    Im considering buying a new carbon fibre road bike for my triathlons this summer, and want to know if they really are that much faster than aluminium bikes? Say 20km takes you 40m on an aluminium bike how long will it take you on a carbon fibre one ? Is there any percentage for converting times?
    I know theyre about 3 times the price, are they worth it?
    On a flat road, at a constant speed, the weight of the bike is irrelevant. Weight is only a factor going uphill and/or accelerating. Having a pee before you start off might be as effective as trying to save 1/2lb by buying carbon.

That said, carbon is supposed to be more comfy than aluminium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

mloc123 wrote: »
    39 minutes and 15 seconds.

but seriously, its not 'faster', it will be ligther and more stiff.. maybe. If you want to trim time and already have a tri bike/bars then focus on training.

Its not more stiff, its far more flexible than aluminium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Jumpy wrote: »
    Its not more stiff, its far more flexible than aluminium.

Depends on the lay up and the quality of the weave.

As a Alu and Carbon frame owner - the advantages of alu are price, much for bang for buck. However for TT/Tri the advantages of carbon is the ability to create a mould and have the carbon worked into whatever shapes you want. Alu is restricted as to the tubing shapes you can get.

TT bike == carbon
    Road bike = alu

Advertisement