Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

rumours that Dan Murray is on the way.?? manger interviewed on munster rugby fm today but would'nt be drawn on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

washman3 wrote: »
    rumours that Dan Murray is on the way.?? manger interviewed on munster rugby fm today but would'nt be drawn on it!!

Don't know about Murry, seen him before and thought he was way too slow for centre back...if we did sign him, it would be Purcell & Murry at the heart of our defence, not a whole of pace there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

ya, murray is slow all right. has a great presence though and huge experience.

washman3 wrote: »
    ya, murray is slow all right. has a great presence though and huge experience.

Agreed but so Pat...

Really need a good centre half with a bit of pace, McCarthy is useless and inspires fear more than confidence...for a man of his height he is useless in the air

I reckon Bennett would be the best signing out of the ones we are being linked with

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Important win on Friday, but a less than convincing performance. Bit of a stalemate for the most part, which usually happens in a game when both teams are employing a midfield diamond. It took a sensational strike from Paudie Quinn to break the deadlock and a late goal on the counter attack to seal it (when Mervue were pushing forward).

Mervue had their chances though, and they had far too much joy down our left side, where their right full got forward a lot, probably sensing how nervous Andrew Bhandarkar was. He really struggled and the fact that he had another young lad in front of him in McGann contributed to that.

John Frost looked uncomfortable on the right, understandably, and one of their strikers Rory Gaffney tended to take up an outside left position to take advantage. There was a lot of confusion at times about who should be picking him up. Luckily for us, his teammates weren't as clever, and he eventually lost his cool, much to the amusement of our fans. :)

Impressed with Yellow's first half performance, although he tired noticeably in the second half. He would be an ample replacement for O'Leary, but with Gamble's arrival that's an academic point now really. Sean Brosnan also impressed me, with his running and attitude. Unlucky not to score from his header in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Our Brian wrote: »
    Who's going to Athlone on the 16th ?

The Limerick FC Supporters Club for a start! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

Thats great, looking forward to seeing ye there.

Our Brian wrote: »
    Thats great, looking forward to seeing ye there.

We're always there! always! :)

Just heard that, Shaun Maher has as good as signed pending a medical

Huge interest already so should be a good trip.

4.30pm. Sat 16th July, Arthurs Quay park.

Members E15

Non members E20

PM me for further details

• Advertisement

Make that 3.30pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The draw was made last night for the EA Sports Semi-Final:

Cork City vs Limerick FC. To be played the week of August 8th so it will probably be on Tuesday the 9th.

Suits Limerick and Cork, its a handy trip and with Gamble and Behan returning to Turners Cross for the first time it will hopefully bring in a good crowd. Cork regularly hitting the 2,000 mark so regardless of the result it will be a few bob anyway. Great chance of a final on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

Just looking through the fixtures, its amazing how many HUGE matches there is between now and the end of the season. Lets hope we can keep pushing on and get bigger and bigger crowds as the season finishes.

Monaghan lost last night to Mervue United and its Corks free weekend. 3 points tonight will put us level on points with both teams with an equal amount games played. The pressure has just been cranked up tonight.

Should be a decent enough travelling support and hopefully the right result tonight. Athlone have 10 ex-Limerick FC players if I remember the amount correctly and former Limerick manager Mike Kerley over them so they will not make it easy for us tonight.

Hey all,

Just talking to a few mate and looks like there will be a very good crowd travailing, including me(my first away game:D)

For those who can't travel i'll be tweeting match updates always

@busyliving_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I did not travel to the match but i see on the Limerick FC website we Limerick FC won the game by 1: 0. Was it a good match? How are we in the table now? I will be at the home match next Friday.....

Got a result by the skin of our teeth. Athlone as expected where really up for it with ex-Limerick player Wayne Colbert playing a stormer. Behan had a poor game but needs a striker playing right up beside him, a waste of time otherwise. The formation didn't suit Gamble either as he was left with no passes to be made as the midfield was very cramped.

Limerick, Cork and Monaghan now all level on 37pts with 18 games played. A huge weekend coming up next weekend with Limerick playing Monaghan and Cork playing away to a decent Longford team.

Friday 22nd:
    Limerick FC vs Monaghan Utd 7:45pm, Jackman Park.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Behan had a poor game but needs a striker playing right up beside him, a waste of time otherwise.

From what I heard it was the usual diamond in midfield, with Garbhan partnering Behan upfront.

Seemed more like Behan, Quinn and Coughlan up front but Coughaln and Quinn where too far off Behan. It looked like this with it being 4-3-3.

....Coughlan..............Behan...............Quinn..............

Behan needs a striker close by more like a 4-4-2.

Huge game tonight in Jackman Park. Limerick have a chance of going 3 points clear in second place (for tonight at least). Hopefully there will be a big crowd up to support the team that have done so well so far this season. For anyone that is going maybe try drag another person a long with you. The bigger support we show the team tonight the better.

It's going to be a very tough game tonight. Monaghan are well able to score goals and while they aren't on the greatest run at the moment they will still be a physical and well drilled team. I can see them parking the bus tonight and trying to hold out for a draw which from the beginning makes it an uphill battle.

Denis Behan and Joe Gamble making their home debuts tonight and hopefully Gamble' class will shine through for Limerick tonight.

http://www.extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/12816/0/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

The EA Sports Cup Semi Final against Limerick will take place on Monday, 8th of August at Turner’s Cross at 7.45 pm.

http://www.corkcityfc.net/home/2011/07/22/ea-sports-cup-semi-final-date-confirmed

Just back from the game. Limerick 0-2 Monaghan. Gutted.

Started extremely well, set up in our usual 4-1-2-1-2 diamond formation, and dominated the midfield area for most of the first half, with Gamble a class or three apart from everyone else on the pitch, spreading it around from in front of the defence.

Unfortunately, Monaghan nicked one after 35 minutes - a great run from their midfielder Reilly not tracked by right full Corie Treacy. After that Limerick heads dropped and we were unlucky not to concede again before half time.

O'Leary got injured first half. He was playing right of the diamond. Bizarrely Scully brought on Bhandarkar to replace him (a left full) instead of a natural midfielder Yellow Lyons. Ridiculous.

He also panicked second half with about 55 minutes gone and went 4-3-3. This was the wrong move as we ceded our midfield advantage that was working well for us. Monaghan started to have far more ball. If anything the right move would have been to keep the diamond and bring off the shocking O'Connor upfront for the man who should have started - Sean Brosnan. He would have been perfect to play off Behan. Something Behan needed. And yet he only eventually got a partner in the last ten minutes when Scully panicked even more and put Purcell (!) upfront in a 4-2-4.

Lost a lot of faith in Pat Scully tonight. I've always come out against the knee-jerk moron fans but he made an awful lot of poor selection and tactical decisions tonight. Very, very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

yes, very poor performance tonight. I went to the match hoping we would be 1 up by half time, but in the last 10 minutes I thought we woudl be lucky to lose by a goal...when the whistle blew we were down 2 goals.....miserable match for Limerick FC supporters tonight....

Going by the record another lad had up on foot.ie it's time for Scully to go.

In 2 years we have played 11 games against top teams at home, Won 1, Drew 3, Lost 7. Thats a shocking record and a lot of those results could have been easily avoided.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Going by the record another lad had up on foot.ie it's time for Scully to go.

In 2 years we have played 11 games against top teams at home, Won 1, Drew 3, Lost 7. Thats a shocking record and a lot of those results could have been easily avoided.

Who were these games against?

busyliving wrote: »
    Who were these games against?

Cork, Derry, Waterford, Monaghan and Shelbourne. Basically the other teams that have been challenging.

Another point I should have made in my earlier post, just to illustrate the difference a manager can make.

Mons started out with a basic 4-5-1 which meant that Gamble had no direct opponent on the pitch and could dictate the game at will for the first half.

Second half, Collins made a slight change to a 4-2-3-1 and put Reilly on Gamble. Problem solved.

A simple, subtle change but one I could never see Scully making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

EA SPORTS Cup Semi-Final - Cork City v Limerick
    Monday, 8th August at Turner’s Cross with a kick-off time of 7.45pm.
    Extra-time and penalties if required to resolve the tie.

Two good bits of news on the transfers front.

Limerick Out:
    Sean O Connor

Limerick In:
    Rory Gaffney (Mervue Utd)

For anyone that was at the match a few weeks ago Rory Gaffney was the red head lad playing up front and on the wing for Mervue. He's a cracking player and has stood out in every game I have seen him play in. He is strong, works hard, has an eye for a pass and has a really good footballing brain.

• Advertisement

Both confirmed?

If so, fantastic news on both fronts. Big fan of Gaffney. Very intelligent movement for a Division One player. Plays upfront but likes to drift left into an inside forward position to give the centre back something to think about.

O'Connor has been a complete disgrace. Yet I'm hearing that he's on his way back to the Prem!? Any more info on that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement